Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,212  
Everyone works out a system they like best based on their equipment and wood. My splitter is a 22 ton Husky and I doubt it would push a 4-way wedge reliably so I have to make multiple splits on the same round. For me it is a lot easier to have the wedge move and the round stationary so that on multiple splits I can stand in one place and not have to keep pulling back the round to make the next split. For big rounds I put the splitter vertical and break the rounds down to handling size. Working off my carry-all is convenient. Then I go horizontal using the loader as a lift table as I do on normal sized rounds. Again stand in one place, grab a round and make as many splits as it takes throwing the splits into a trailer or a rough pile for air drying.

View attachment 721124

View attachment 721125

gg

Aging is a great incentive to work smarter. I too find the horizontal/vertical moving wedge options on a splitter fits our needs better. Maybe because it’s all I had. 30+ year old Northern Hydraulic splitter only replacing motor and hoses.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,213  
A lot safer too !

gg
Exactly. That was my main reason for cradling the cutoffs. Those are decent sized and I was standing on a branch. The main trunk can shake when the cut completes and the last thing I wanted is to be under the cutoff when it came down.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,214  
Aging is a great incentive to work smarter. I too find the horizontal/vertical moving wedge options on a splitter fits our needs better. Maybe because it’s all I had. 30+ year old Northern Hydraulic splitter only replacing motor and hoses.
I may have a similar one. Horizontal $750 brand-new in 1998. It's replacement is now more like $4500 because Northern no longer makes a simple horizontal splitter and i don't know if I'll live that long to justify that expenditure.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,215  
Yesterday moved nearly 5 cords of firewood into the garage. I have nearly 3 more cords in reserve. And 20 logger cords that need processing. It can be a long cold winter and we will be covered.

Also had my two 500 gal propane tanks filled. I have a contract price of $1.59, which is 33% higher than last year. But there is an escape clause in the contract that nullifies the contract if Line 5 is shut down....so wanted to get them topped up. Primary need for propane would be a long power outage.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,216  
Yesterday moved nearly 5 cords of firewood into the garage. I have nearly 3 more cords in reserve. And 20 logger cords that need processing. It can be a long cold winter and we will be covered.

Also had my two 500 gal propane tanks filled. I have a contract price of $1.59, which is 33% higher than last year. But there is an escape clause in the contract that nullifies the contract if Line 5 is shut down....so wanted to get them topped up. Primary need for propane would be a long power outage.
And I thought my 15 cords (ahead) were a lot. 🍪

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,217  

Seems wood would be better for a power outage??

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,219  

I've been over "by you" to curl in Lewiston....
Glad I heat with wood, that's for sure.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,220  
Everyone works out a system they like best based on their equipment and wood. My splitter is a 22 ton Husky and I doubt it would push a 4-way wedge reliably so I have to make multiple splits on the same round. For me it is a lot easier to have the wedge move and the round stationary so that on multiple splits I can stand in one place and not have to keep pulling back the round to make the next split. For big rounds I put the splitter vertical and break the rounds down to handling size. Working off my carry-all is convenient. Then I go horizontal using the loader as a lift table as I do on normal sized rounds. Again stand in one place, grab a round and make as many splits as it takes throwing the splits into a trailer or a rough pile for air drying.

gg

We do all adapt to the equipment available and our own personal preferences. I'll use my loader bucket or the hydraulic lift as a staging table, but for me, throwing the wood causes more problems than pulling it back to resplit. After a couple of bouts with something like tennis elbow from grabbing and throwing logs, I had to shift the way I worked. Tha one hand backhanded toss was killing me. So I went looking for a splitter that would push the logs of the end, and at the right height to feed into directly in to my trailer. Once I found a good one, I sold my old horizontal/vertical splitter. I don't really have to move to pull larger logs back to resplit. The work table on the splitter catches them. For easily manageable sizes, I move maybe a half step to reach them and pull them back. For larger ones, it might be a full step. For me, that far beats picking the split pieces up and throwing them in the trailer.