Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,271  
I tried using a similar bag once, won't happen again. I found it hard to load well and then it was a pain to empty it. The top had some flaps to cover over the opening and they just kept getting in the way.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,272  
Finished splitting my wood today. High 80's temps and black flies were not part of the game plan. Used to be getting done by mid May avoided that but not this year. About 4.5 cord there. Still have some small wood the cut but I don't have to split that.

View attachment 746143

Nothing at all wrong with totes or bags but I still like my wood shed.

gg
Nice looking piles... now you move it all to the wood shed? Do you do that right away to get it up off the ground?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,273  
I move it a little at a time starting late summer. We have a short drying season and a couple months of wind and sun really help and not long enough to worry about being on dirt.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,274  
I collected the wood I cut off yesterday and moved it to my splitting station, As I split it I stack it in the loader, then over to my drying racks. It will stay there till I need it in the fall. I have a rack on my front porch where I move it a bucket at a time as needed... works for me.
I'm one of the few it seems that sits and splits! Again, it works for me.

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7493.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,275  
I move it a little at a time starting late summer. We have a short drying season and a couple months of wind and sun really help and not long enough to worry about being on dirt.

gg
I do a similar thing, but finally scrounged a few pallets to put down so my temporary storage area keeps them off the ground - that way I'm still in decent shape if something comes up and I don't get around to moving them in time.

I did find that if I want reasonable drying times and not a bunch of mold or fungus on the wood, some time stacked out in the open exposed to the wind and sun makes a big difference. A single row dries the quickest, but two rows of 16" splits stacked on a +/-4 foot pallet with as much space as I can fit between the rows dries almost as fast.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,276  
I only have 12 cord under cover, probably another 12 cord tarped. I noticed my pallets are starting to rot when I stacked this year's cut wood. Anyone use plastic pallets?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,277  
I only have 12 cord under cover, probably another 12 cord tarped. I noticed my pallets are starting to rot when I stacked this year's cut wood. Anyone use plastic pallets?
I'm trying one out this year. A friend had a bunch of them he didn't need anymore. Most had a solid plastic deck, which is not something I was interested in, since it would hold rain water. I took the one he had that was in good shape that also included some slots to allow rainwater to escape. If it works out, I'll keep my eye out for more.

I just figure on replacing my wooden pallets periodically as they rot beyond usefulness.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,278  
I've not tried plastic ones, but I just make or scrounge pallets as needed.
IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,279  
A local fellow had been collecting pallets for years to cut up and sell as firewood.
He had a heart attack and had to quit; so now he is giving them away.
All my wood piles, implements and miscellaneous storage needs are set for the next few years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,280  
We had a pretty good wind storm earlier this spring and it put quite a few blow downs across my tractor roads like this place here where there are two of them. Yesterdays weather was good for for this kind of work. Nice and cool.

22_5_17-1s.jpg

I like to pull them off with my winch and a snatch block if I can.

22_5_17-2s.jpg

I this one pulled as far as could but the top was still in the trail so I cut it off and pulled the top down beside the first part.

22_5_17-3s.jpg

Now that that one was out of the way I could get to the next one just down the trail a little way.

22_5_17-4s.jpg

gg

Last edited: