Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,291  
^^^^^
I hate to say it but I predict there will be a lot more people asking for help from your firewood bank this year. It’s good that you and your compadres are providing the service.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,292  
^^^^^
I hate to say it but I predict there will be a lot more people asking for help from your firewood bank this year. It’s good that you and your compadres are providing the service.

Strangely, we had almost no requests for firewood this past heating season. We gave away only about one cord,split between 2 recipients. We used up so little that we picked out some of our older stuff from less desirable firewood species and gave it to a local high school's outdoor education program. They will use it to heat a couple of yurts and for campfires next winter.

The winter was colder than some of our recent past winters (which had been unusually warm for Vermont). I was SURE we were going to be swamped and run out of wood - so sure I minimized burning our own wood and burned more propane so as to have an emergency reserve. We started doing this about 15 years ago with just a couple of landowner friends, then expanded it to a community effort about 7 or 8 years ago. We've never had such a low demand. We helped a neighboring town start up a similar program 4 years ago. I checked with them, and they were seeing the same thing: a huge decline in demand. It baffles all of us.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,293  
My first guess would be more government money coming in. I’ve about given up on donating food to my food pantries; it seems like all they really need is money, and I keep that for myself.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,296  
Hello, I just found this thread and I’m slowly reading the pages. I’m interested in the cold weather operations as I’m moving from Texas, hot hot, to Pennsylvania, cold cold and snow. Lots to learn ahead.

Anyway, one man operation and just cut for myself and help others on occasion. Made some tools. I like cutting limbs as they make good fire starters and good for shoulder season burns which is mostly what I do now.

The metal wood rack was an old cattle feeder I made. I can stack 2 rows of 18” splits or rounds. It rests on railroad tie pieces, not shown. Plus I have 2 sets of telephone poles that I use for stacking. Once dry I move wood to the barn.
The tractor, now I wish was 4WD, can lift a pretty good size log. I buck off the tractor or on the ground.

My gardener, in PA, also does tree trimming and cutting. He doesn’t do anything with the logs and takes them somewhere to be rid of them. So I told him I could pick up some logs or he could drop some off. I’m allowing him to store some equipment so bringing me the logs works for him. I hope this deal works out well.

Moving all my equipment is my big nightmare.

DED8A635-4BFC-45B6-A92F-0EEA09BBD46B.jpeg639B2EBF-8EE8-4299-9AE2-DC7C8143BEFD.jpeg952FA57D-1947-406C-87D4-8E775030D20B.jpegD3760A7E-7422-4E77-9734-1704B3B472B5.jpegFD1407B7-DA72-4ACE-A378-2D3049DAB7DE.jpegC3040AAE-62EC-4B15-B51A-0CB2A006854C.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,297  
To me it seems like in the spring when I start a new quick little fire every day, and sometimes two, that I use as much wood as on a cold winter day when the stove just coasts along on big wood and never goes out.
Yeah, it's surprising how much wood you go thru in April/early May dealing with cloudy days in the 40s or taking the chill off in the evening.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,298  
Hello, I just found this thread and I’m slowly reading the pages. I’m interested in the cold weather operations as I’m moving from Texas, hot hot, to Pennsylvania, cold cold and snow. Lots to learn ahead.

Anyway, one man operation and just cut for myself and help others on occasion. Made some tools. I like cutting limbs as they make good fire starters and good for shoulder season burns which is mostly what I do now.

The metal wood rack was an old cattle feeder I made. I can stack 2 rows of 18” splits or rounds. It rests on railroad tie pieces, not shown. Plus I have 2 sets of telephone poles that I use for stacking. Once dry I move wood to the barn.
The tractor, now I wish was 4WD, can lift a pretty good size log. I buck off the tractor or on the ground.

My gardener, in PA, also does tree trimming and cutting. He doesn’t do anything with the logs and takes them somewhere to be rid of them. So I told him I could pick up some logs or he could drop some off. I’m allowing him to store some equipment so bringing me the logs works for him. I hope this deal works out well.

Moving all my equipment is my big nightmare.

View attachment 747004View attachment 747005View attachment 747006View attachment 747007View attachment 747008View attachment 747009
I did just the opposite few years ago, moved out of the snow belt and into southern heat... I wouldnt go back to the snow belt to save my soul!!! But thats me.
Welcome to the thread.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,299  
I did just the opposite few years ago, moved out of the snow belt and into southern heat... I wouldnt go back to the snow belt to save my soul!!! But thats me.
Welcome to the thread.

Sounds like a win win - good for you and good for us :D

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,300  
Welcome to the thread.
Oh admit it already, you miss Colorado big time!! :p