Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,751  
I push them over and let the cutter do its thing, and no I haven't hooked anything.

But farm tractors are built better/heavier than a compact and seem to have things tucked in better.

SR
Sounds like a pretty big tree to brushhog (5"). Way back in my early tractoring days one of the old timers told me if you can drive over it you can brushhog it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,752  
Sounds like a pretty big tree to brushhog (5"). Way back in my early tractoring days one of the old timers told me if you can drive over it you can brushhog it.
I'll cut out live 5" pines, but I wouldn't go over a hardwood that big.

Woods makes one hell of a cutter that really chews them up, and keeps on cutting.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,753  
I wish I had some useable cedars here.. all the ones here are maybe 2-5 inch dia is all

Me too. That old hitch of 6 trees 14" in diameter plus just laying there and I have only found 2 other growing cedars on this entire large lot. What a waste to just cut them and let them lay. I used the smaller top ends for posts.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,754  
Me too. That old hitch of 6 trees 14" in diameter plus just laying there and I have only found 2 other growing cedars on this entire large lot. What a waste to just cut them and let them lay. I used the smaller top ends for posts.

gg
I have a few on my property but what they seem best suited for is growing ants for the wood peckers. I would cut them down for kindling, except I can get plenty of that elsewhere.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,755  

gg
When doing a clear cut it’s common to see stuff like that left especially when there’s not enough for a load.

Can they chip Cedar out there?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,756  
I have a few on my property but what they seem best suited for is growing ants for the wood peckers. I would cut them down for kindling, except I can get plenty of that elsewhere.

I would have kept them just for a little diversity if there was no other use or enough for a load.

They chip pine and spruce/fir - I don't know about cedar. They did have a chipper in here so maybe cedar s a no no but I can't imagine why if they are doing whole tree chipping ????

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,757  
I would have kept them just for a little diversity if there was no other use or enough for a load.

They chip pine and spruce/fir - I don't know about cedar. They did have a chipper in here so maybe cedar s a no no but I can't imagine why if they are doing whole tree chipping ????

gg
If it’s like our cedar any amount of cedar will mess up a batch of pulp very quickly. Out here cedar is worth big dollars so it’s not uncommon to see some left after a clear cut since it’s not enough for a load.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,758  
Yes of course. I can go to NAPA 5 miles away and get those 90 degree elbows you had for $16. And they will probably leak in 2-5 years. Or I can go 20 miles to CAT dealer and pay 3x as much but probably never change again.
I have always gone to the CAT dealer here . . . expensive but lasting and it is right.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,759  

gg
It depends on what they were chipping it for. Whole tree chipping for pulp used to be done in the woods, but you couldn’t mix hardwood with softwood, and spruce/fir is different than hemlock or pine. If chipping fuel for biomass boilers anything goes. I don’t know if anybody who uses cedar for making pulp.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,760  
It depends on what they were chipping it for. Whole tree chipping for pulp used to be done in the woods, but you couldn’t mix hardwood with softwood, and spruce/fir is different than hemlock or pine. If chipping fuel for biomass boilers anything goes. I don’t know if anybody who uses cedar for making pulp.

We have several power plants within trucking distance and most of the chipping here goes to feed them and not paper. But now that you made me think a little; this place was cut around 1996 so things were probably way different. More paper mills and fewer power plants - I'm not sure of the timing of that change.

gg