Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,821  
When we had our property logged about 4 years ago, the hardwood guys did it all by chainsaw and 1 skidder.

They had to go through a swamp to get to the back 40.

The owner of the mill seen what these guys were working through and said we were lucky to get them. Craziest loggers in southern Michigan. No one else would touch the swamp.

Softwood guys stayed far away from the swamp
Swamps have eaten more than a few pieces of equipment over the years. This one was in Minnesota, and was lost in 1975.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,822  
Some where around I have a picture of a 4.5’ fir that’s 120’ being pulled by a little 450 like that, they can move a pretty good amount of wood. The hardest thing on them is a winch or a grapple it’s a great way to take out a final bearing quickly, it’s one reason the track skidders had the finals up in the center of the frames.
I don't understand. What is the stress on the bearing you describe here. Can you explain for me as I know nothing about crawler tractors.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,823  
Swamps have eaten more than a few pieces of equipment over the years. This one was in Minnesota, and was lost in 1975.
Each side of the swamp is lined with a 25-30ft hill. When it came down them winching themselves up on both sides, they had to call it quits.

Sucks but totally understand. Skidders aren't cheap. We still have some pads down in the swamp they couldn't grab, also about 100 trees marked for removal that are still standing. I give them credit for trying, they pulled about 125 out as it was

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,824  
20190803_103359.jpg

Softwood guys. Still impressive watching them. Daughter says we should get a feller and I asked if she was gonna pay for it....still using chainsaws

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,825  
I must say though, I learned a lot from the hardwood cutters. The old man showed me tips and let me cut a few 60 footers down as he's talking me through it. Knowledge from the old guys are worth the weight in gold. Just like pilots, loggers don't get old by being stupid

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,827  
View attachment 757296
Softwood guys. Still impressive watching them. Daughter says we should get a feller and I asked if she was gonna pay for it....still using chainsaws
Nice to see a Fabtek still running, I remember being around the owners some as a kid since we ran their heads for years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,828  
I don't understand. What is the stress on the bearing you describe here. Can you explain for me as I know nothing about crawler tractors.

A dozer is designed to be a leveling machine. Ideally, with the bade out front the dozer is pushing out a flat surface for the track to ride on. There are track rollers distributed under the center of the machine that are designed to take the weight. The rear sprocket provides the drive to turn the track chain and is a little higher than the track rollers. The track system is designed so that the chain under the sprocket is not in weight bearing contact with the ground relative to the rollers. When you put a winch on the back you add a lot of over hanging weight on the back of the dozer. Then when you pick up a log you add more weight. When you drag the log the front of the dozer wants to tip back. This can put the track section under the sprocket in hard contact with the ground. And if it is rough ground it adds a hammering action. The bearings in the final drive that turn the sprockets are not designed to take that kind of punishment for very long.

You can see the shaft ends of rollers (covered by the rock guards) which are along the weight bearing portion of the track. And the sprocket which is higher.

TrkChain6.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,829  
A dozer is designed to be a leveling machine. Ideally, with the bade out front the dozer is pushing out a flat surface for the track to ride on. There are track rollers distributed under the center of the machine that are designed to take the weight. The rear sprocket provides the drive to turn the track chain and is a little higher than the track rollers. The track system is designed so that the chain under the sprocket is not in weight bearing contact with the ground relative to the rollers. When you put a winch on the back you add a lot of over hanging weight on the back of the dozer. Then when you pick up a log you add more weight. When you drag the log the front of the dozer wants to tip back. This can put the track section under the sprocket in hard contact with the ground. And if it is rough ground it adds a hammering action. The bearings in the final drive that turn the sprockets are not designed to take that kind of punishment for very long.

You can see the shaft ends of rollers (covered by the rock guards) which are along the weight bearing portion of the track. And the sprocket which is higher.

View attachment 757305
gg
Perfect! Got it!
Thanks Gordon.

Hoobie

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,830  
It’s about the leverage that a winch or grapple adds to those finals bearings. Think of a lever when you’re doing a hard pull with a winch/arch the finals on the low belly cats are the end of that lever. Now take a high drive style with the final above the track frames, when you apply the same force it’s now on an idler which is better to do then the finals.