Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,861  
Just curious as to how much a single log, say 12" diameter, 16' long would be worth at that price.
It’s 95 board feet on the International log rule, so about $39.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,863  
Here's my scaling stick for the International Scale which is used here in the Northeast. On the back is 14', 16', 18', and 20' logs. It covers logs up to 36" diameter. International Scale fills in the blank part of Skeans1"s Scribner chart. Scribner gives better results for large diameter logs and International is better for smaller logs like we have in the NE. Another common scale is the Doyle Scale.

Reading my stick you can see a 12' log 10" in diameter on the small end is expected to produce 45 Board Feet (BF) of lumber when sawn out barring any unseen internal defects.

Now-a-days they used computerized calipers not sticks.

All you want to know about log scales:

P1000940.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,864  
I have a few random logs, 2 hickory, 2 black walnut, a good bunch of white pine, some red oak, thought some of it might be worth something to a sawyer, but I can't get a single place to call me back, I even offered to deliver it to them...

I guess I'll have to bring them down to Hunt!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,865  
My scale is giving me 64 feet for a 12" log 16' long, we use the Doyle scale around here...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,866  
My scale is giving me 64 feet for a 12" log 16' long, we use the Doyle scale around here...

SR
Saw one out and tell us what you get - 50% more or better I bet. 12" is a small hardwood saw log and from the stuff on log rules above:

"1. Doyle Log Rule The Doyle rule is the most common rule used in hardwood log scaling in Tennessee. Edward Doyle developed this rule prior to 1850. This rule estimates the volume based on log length, diameter, slabs, edgings, shrinkage and production of sawdust. The allowance for slabs and edgings is too large for small logs"

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,867  
Between everything else going on, I'm still trying to get two loads of logs milled, here's a pretty nice pine log going on the BSM,

Resized-20220809-114648-S.jpg

I'm milling these into 2x4's, 6's, 8's, 10's, and 12's, whatever the log will produce,

Resized-20220809-115841-S.jpg

The load of pine is now done,

Resized-20220809-155702-S.jpg

SO, it's now time to get started on the second load of logs,

Resized-20220809-155551-S.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,868  
Saw one out and tell us what you get - 50% more or better I bet. 12" is a small hardwood saw log and from the stuff on log rules above:

"1. Doyle Log Rule The Doyle rule is the most common rule used in hardwood log scaling in Tennessee. Edward Doyle developed this rule prior to 1850. This rule estimates the volume based on log length, diameter, slabs, edgings, shrinkage and production of sawdust. The allowance for slabs and edgings is too large for small logs"

gg
There's no doubt the Doyle rule favors the sawyer, but that seems to be what's used around here...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,869  
SR, It's always neat to see what kind of character the boards have that come from rough looking logs like in your second load.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,870  
There's no doubt the Doyle rule favors the sawyer, but that seems to be what's used around here...

SR

The old saying - If your buying logs use the Doyle Scale. If your selling them use the International Scale. All you need is two sticks.

gg