Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,981  
Wow. The manual for my stove says max dimension of 4"...
But, with a heat storage tank my goal is to burn hot and fast. More surface area, more fire, more heat, faster heating the storage tank.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,982  
Agree. My ideal size is 9" diameter. Still easy to toss in but does not burn right up. I settled on 9" because it is the distance between the tip of my big finger and the tip of my thumb when stretched out. I don't have to guess or eyeball the size when splitting, built in measuring tool. And guess what, I cut 18" lengths. Two spans of my hand, again, no measuring tool. Makes for a very even woodpile.
9 inches would mostly fill my fire box. A TBN member who is knowledgable about wood and buring it cited a study he was involved in which demonstrated that smaller wood burns more efficiently. Perhaps John McC (sp?) will tune in and correct all of the errors in my comment, but I believe I covered the gist of it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,983  
Wow. The manual for my stove says max dimension of 4"...
But, with a heat storage tank my goal is to burn hot and fast. More surface area, more fire, more heat, faster heating the storage tank.
My Tarm boiler with heat storage calls for 5 inches max

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,984  
Started in on the 4th load of pulp. These are some ugly pines!
spulp.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,987  
You probably aren't getting rich from it, but isn't it nice to see that junk gone. Now something else can begin taking up the space you made. 👍
True, though my operating costs are relatively low and of course,we don't get paid for our labor; it does cover our expenses.
It doe clean up the woods and opens up the canopy in hopes of regeneration of higher quality trees in the future.
This particular woodlot was mostly open 50 years ago except for the bigger pines that today are the 75 foot, multiple stemmed monsters that are heading to the pellet mill!