Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,311  
I would explain the situation to the neighbor and drag the from the butt enough to get it on the ground.
As I first wrote, I am trying to avoid doing that. There is a reason for wanting to avoid that. :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,312  
How high up is the trunk where it crosses onto your property? I might try getting on top there (ladder or FEL) with a chain & limber & walking up towards tip as far as I could while it still felt stable. At least you're cutting "in the way branches" that aren't holding it up & you'll get a sense of stability. Be ready to retreat & reassess if it doesn't feel right. Run the choker as close to the tip as you can get with enough chain so you can attach the cable at ground level without a lot of weight over you, then go with original plan of "pull from the tip & see what happens". Anything else I can think of is probably more dangerous & risks making you the ammo in a trebuchet or getting pinned when she rolls. Hard to come up with a plan without seeing the set-up.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,313  
attach a chain/cable from as high as you can reach from an extension ladder & pull it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,314  
The trunk is on the ground. I think I could somewhat safely walk on top of the tree as it rises above terrain. But as I would get higher and higher above grade as I go, that is a concern. I'm less concerned with doing that.

Its maybe limbing the branches below the tree that add the pucker factor. If I cut a few, then cut just one more, I can see the whole thing going "wham" onto the ground. I've learned I'm not fast enough to get out of the way if that happens ................

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,315  
How high up is the trunk where it crosses onto your property?
The butt section is just barely on my property. Even if the neighbor was agreeable, there are some obstructions that would make it pulling in the butt direction a challenge.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,316  
Its maybe limbing the branches below the tree that add the pucker factor.
I wouldn't even think of that until I had her stable on the ground over her length. Is the butt still attached to the root ball? if not, can you trim the top & one side then roll it onto that side with the winch? At least she should drop some to where you could walk out without being too high up to finish the tip pull approach.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,317  
What Pops said about limbing from below. Those Cedar branches are super brittle when green, let alone a deadfall.
I would cut the butt off the stump, if possible, then put a half wrap with your choker rolling away from you and the nubbin at about 2 o'clock. Connect your bull line to the choker from under the tree, not over. Then position the tractor in a parallel with tree between the butt and the hang-up section. If the position is not accessible, you could use a sheave pulley to redirect, but pull as in-line with the tree as possible.
Start yarding the tree and watch as the top should twist and break free as well as the lower branches snapping and lowering to the ground. Continue yarding if winch is still moving tree, or since tree is on the ground, buck into manageable lengths.
I've done it this way on Coast Redwoods.
Good luck.
Patrick

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,318  
put a half wrap with your choker rolling away from you and the nubbin at about 2 o'clock. Connect your bull line to the choker from under the tree, not over. Then position the tractor in a parallel with tree between the butt and the hang-up section. If the position is not accessible, you could use a sheave pulley to redirect, but pull as in-line with the tree as possible.
Start yarding the tree and watch as the top should twist and break free as well as the lower branches snapping and lowering to the ground. Continue yarding if winch is still moving tree, or since tree is on the ground, buck into manageable lengths.
Sounds good although I don't know what a half wrap is. The chokers that came with the Farmi 351P logging winch are short. Instead, maybe I should set a 20' section of G70 chain as a choker (using a ladder) maybe 15 feet or so below the tip. A 20' choker would probably make it safer if I need to disconnect the winch cable-- such as for a different pull if the tree remains hung up.

This tree was felled, so it is clear of the root ball. btw, although it was dead, based on the cut at the base it is very nice looking seemingly clear cedar-- no rot. This is why I want it out of there.

I will try pulling the entire tree first. From past experience, I doubt if my equipment can move the entire tree. First, it is large. And, during prior pulls, side branches stuck in the ground have quickly overwhelmed my pulling force (45hp at the pto.) This will be the biggest, most difficult pull I have attempted. Maybe it's time to throw a few blankets on the cable?

If I can't move the whole thing, I'll buck out a section near the base, then try pulling again. Then keep doing that until I can get something to move.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,319  
I know this has been asked before, but what are some possible strategies to deal with a large (dead) tree that is "hung up" in the forest and suspended in the air? This is a cedar tree I want to buck up and mill.

The tree is 26-30" at the base, and probably 100 ft long. It now has a slight rise above horizontal going toward the tip. Near the tip, it is at least 15 feet above the ground. Lots of snags keeping it suspended-- a heavily forested area. There are mostly branches from the tree holding it up, but also adjacent trees. Even trying to get a picture is a challenge.

I cannot access the butt end without getting on my neighbor property. I'm trying to avoid that. My logger suggested trying to pull from the tip using my logging winch, and "see what happens." If I could attach the end of the cable to somewhere near the tree top, maybe I could try. But trying to attach that cable, or set a choker, would be hazardous. It's probably 15 feet up and I'd be working under this tree.

I've thought about cutting the side limbs which are certainly much of what is holding it up. But I'm leery of making a cut and having the whole thing collapse.

There is a clearing just past the tip, so pulling it that way is desirable ....

Ideas?
Having done stuff like that I’d limbing well walking it, take a choker out swing it from one side to the other well being on top. Next step is the fun bit take a bar long enough to reach all the way through put a face in it, gut the heart out, and finally a back cut then give it a tug with the winch.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,320  
So the tip is 15' off the ground? The part in your pic looks very accessible from standing on the ground.

I would start near the tip and just cut sections away until it felt safe to peck away at the branches under the trunk. If you want to mill it, you mean in 12' sections or shorter presumably? you dont need to winch the whole tree out in one go....