Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,791  
By the way - I like your woodshed set-up Citydude. Is that one almost empty bay your usage so far this year. Looks about the same as mine.

gg
I wished that was the case Gordon. It hasn't been filled yet. I'm only at that property a few days a month. I do have a wood burner in my shop over there but our house is yet to be built. Hopefully in two years and we'll start building.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,792  
Last year found number tics in bark also where the wood was stack,need to be careful when bring wood into basement.

Never thought of that. Thanks for the heads up !

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,793  
Last year found number tics in bark also where the wood was stack,need to be careful when bring wood into basement.
That's one reason that I keep my wood outside. I used to put enough in on Sunday night to last until Friday, but for the last couple of years I only keep enough to last a day.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,794  
I don't know if there is a way to keep vermin out. You would not believe the number of mouse nests, snake skins, and nut/seed piles I find as I empty it out during the winter. My shed is probably 60' from the house and I have no problem with critters in the house. I do bring in a lot of stink bugs (pine seed bugs) on the wood but they don't bite and are big and clumsy and easy to catch/flush. Critters might prefer the nice dry wood to a machine ????

gg
It's not that I think I'll keep them out, just don't want to close in the shed so much that they move right in because it's cozy. Most of my equipment is outside, some (like log splitter)get small covers over the engines etc. It would be nice to have a lean-to style shed to put some of the tractors, bigger equipment under. But if its dry, out of the wind, and too comfortable, then the critters move right into all the equipment. I figure if I can keep it less accommodating, then maybe, just maybe they'll prefer to stay elsewhere.
I do get occasional nests in the wood filled totes. My cat has gotten old and lazy so we have more little things around. Each piece is moved to the wheelbarrow as it goes in the basement so I filter out the nests before anything makes it inside.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,795  
I don't know if there is a way to keep vermin out. You would not believe the number of mouse nests, snake skins, and nut/seed piles I find as I empty it out during the winter. My shed is probably 60' from the house and I have no problem with critters in the house. I do bring in a lot of stink bugs (pine seed bugs) on the wood but they don't bite and are big and clumsy and easy to catch/flush. Critters might prefer the nice dry wood to a machine ????

gg
I never had stink bugs until about 6-7 years ago, each summer there seems to be less of them, but the first couple years it was like a plague! Maybe the European hornets were eating them, and that's why there were less, who knows. I know the stink bugs annoy the dog and she bites at them in the air, then proceeds to hack up a lung if she catches one. Last spring we had a European hornet nest nearby somewhere, killed a lot by the light just outside the screened porch. Then seemed to be hornet free all summer. Maybe I got enough of the males early enough that the queen couldn't lay her full army. Good ole brake kleen...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,796  
That's one reason that I keep my wood outside. I used to put enough in on Sunday night to last until Friday, but for the last couple of years I only keep enough to last a day.
Similar here. I only bring into the house what is going to be loaded into the stove at the time. Fortunately, we don't have ticks (that I know of) on our wood. Spider's moths, etc. yes.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,797  
Looking at the weather forecast this is probably the last week I work in the woods for a while. I had a back leaner today that I didn't dare wedge over because the butt looked so bad. I didn't know if the hinge would hold against the wedging and it could go over backwards. So I set up a snatch block and winched it over.

P1020146.JPG

I backed up to the tree and climbed up on the winch to set the choker as high as I could. I have a couple steps welded on the winch to make it easy. It took a long strap to get the snatch block out where I needed it. I used a 6'er around the tree with a 9'er attached to that. I put enough tension on the cable that I see the top of the tree just barely start to move. That way I am pretty sure I can hold it w/o pinching my bar but it won't come over while I am cutting. I make a normal notch cut. On the back cut I left a pretty healthy hinge because of the rot. Then I winched it over.

P1020151.JPG

The butt wasn't very sound as you can see.

P1020153.JPG

When I couple two straps together like that I put a big dowel in the connection. That way it comes apart very easily. Without the dowel the straps tighten into each other and might never come apart. Don't ask how I know.

P1020152.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,798  
That has nothing to do with the triggers or how they are set-up.

It's set up the same as mine, and in fact, I can fire different cartridges in mine,

P1000227-S.jpg

SR
You generally have two triggers to fire three barrels which necessitates a lever on top or the side to determine which barrel you want to fire. That involves extra parts and fitting which adds to the cost.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,799  
Looking at the weather forecast this is probably the last week I work in the woods for a while. I had a back leaner today that I didn't dare wedge over because the butt looked so bad. I didn't know if the hinge would hold against the wedging and it could go over backwards. So I set up a snatch block and winched it over.

View attachment 789176

I backed up to the tree and climbed up on the winch to set the choker as high as I could. I have a couple steps welded on the winch to make it easy. It took a long strap to get the snatch block out where I needed it. I used a 6'er around the tree with a 9'er attached to that. I put enough tension on the cable that I see the top of the tree just barely start to move. That way I am pretty sure I can hold it w/o pinching my bar but it won't come over while I am cutting. I make a normal notch cut. On the back cut I left a pretty healthy hinge because of the rot. Then I winched it over.

View attachment 789182

The butt wasn't very sound as you can see.

View attachment 789183

When I couple two straps together like that I put a big dowel in the connection. That way it comes apart very easily. Without the dowel the straps tighten into each other and might never come apart. Don't ask how I know.

View attachment 789185

gg
Very nice. I wish I could do the same but my sciatic nerve put me on the sideline for sometimes!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,800  
Surprisingly, a rolled up magazine or newspaper works well also.