Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,842  
I don't agree with that. Everything I have to work with wood (except the woodstove) can be sold and I'd get back at least 80% of what I paid for it.

My equipment has "made me" thousands of dollars doing custom work, besides being used for MY firewood, and I've saved many thousands of dollars burning wood in my home rather than buying propane.

Best part is, we MUCH prefer wood heat to other ways of heating the house, it's really nice.

SR
Don’t let your imagination get to carried away, I also heat my home with mostly wood, it’s a much more comfortable heat for my old poorly insulated house but there sure ain’t nothing cheap about it.

You might be making out ok with your other woodswork projects but I find it very hard to believe burning wood is actually saving you any significant money.
I also enjoy doing woodswork but have no problem admitting the profits are pretty low, thankfully inflation is kind of on my side so if I ever decide to sell my equipment I hope to make out ok.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,843  
I sell enough camp firewood every year to more than cover my gas/diesel, oil and chain/bar cost. After that I heat for free, might even make a tiny amount for time. The equipment is paid for and would need it anyway.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,844  
Don’t let your imagination get to carried away, I also heat my home with mostly wood, it’s a much more comfortable heat for my old poorly insulated house but there sure ain’t nothing cheap about it.

You might be making out ok with your other woodswork projects but I find it very hard to believe burning wood is actually saving you any significant money.
I also enjoy doing woodswork but have no problem admitting the profits are pretty low, thankfully inflation is kind of on my side so if I ever decide to sell my equipment I hope to make out ok.
Imagination?? I've penciled it out as has my wife, more than once, and my bank account proves what I posted above.

IF you can't do it, don't think others can't either.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,845  
The way I look at firewood is I would already need a tractor and chainsaw so the only cost there for firewood is fuel and wear and tear on them. I own a log splitter but I got mine used at a good deal. There is a cost, no doubt but I’m pretty sure I come out ahead.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,846  
I'm lazy, I buy my wood cut and split. At these prices oil would run me a little over $1400 per season. I spend about $300 per season in wood. I'm saving money with wood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,847  
One thing better about burning wood for heat in my house is that the bedrooms stay cooler. Better for sleeping. The stove is smack dab in the middle of the house. Kitchen on one end and bedrooms on the other. Kitchen generates its own heat when we are in there cooking. The central system wants to heat the whole dang house.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,848  
One thing better about burning wood for heat in my house is that the bedrooms stay cooler. Better for sleeping. The stove is smack dab in the middle of the house. Kitchen on one end and bedrooms on the other. Kitchen generates its own heat when we are in there cooking. The central system wants to heat the whole dang house.
That's similar here, stove in living room, kitchen close by, then the bedrooms down the hall. I leave the doors open keeps moisture out of them.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,849  
What everyone needs is “purpose”.
If you need stuff to fulfill that purpose
you can’t put a price on those things as they are priceless.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,850  
I found this old wood/fuel comparison. Probably from Mother Earth News back in the day. It compares one cord of wood by species to gallons of oil, tons of coal, and cu-ft of gas. The wood efficiency they used was 50% and oil 70%. Both have gone up from that, wood more than oil I think so I think the comparison is still pretty useful. Makes it easy to figure cost differences.

Wood-FuelComp.jpg

gg

Last edited: