Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I have gone to several auctions and am looking to see if can steal a bargain on a tractor or heavy equipment, but I was warned to check them thoroughly before buying. But they only allow a brief window before the auction, other than the obvious such as dead battery, what issues should you look for and what are some of the common problems for certain tractors or heavy equipment for that matter as there were lots of wheeled loaders at some of the auctions. And what are some of the better auctions even if it means driving across country as I go over to Texas and out West every now and then.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #2  
Usually check my wallet and calendar. If there's nothing on the calendar and the wallet is full, why not. If the calendar is full or the wallet is empty probably pass.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #3  
I would check coolant level, color, smell and if any signs of leaks or drips.

Pretty much the same for the engine oil, any hydraulic fluid or axle oil. Is it somewhat clean and the correct color and smell. If it looked like it was brand new, just replaced I might be leery of an issue possibly being covered up.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #4  
I agree it's hard to tell in a short time. Definitely the advice above. Look for blow by, take the oil fill cap off or remove the dipstick while running. There should not be pressure pushing them off and a small amount of gasses/ smoke coming out of the open orifices is acceptable, not like a smoke stack. Look at the general condition, you can probably tell pretty quickly if it looks beat up.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #5  
Most Items I've bought from auctions at a "steal", Id buy with the intention of using them for parts, or repurposing for something else, on more than one occasion I've surprised myself by getting the items running and operating. So far ive only been burned buying an electronic item at a auction. If it were me id look at what I was interested in twice as I always notice something I didn't see in my first inspection. I always plan to change all filters and fluids no matter what they look like plus it helps to familiarize me with the equipment, find other problems and you can start a PM schedule from there. Depending on age and value, small leaks here and there don't bother me like they used to. If your not comfortable inspecting equipment bring a buddy whos more knowledgeable than you. Or hire a heavy equipment mechanic to point out problems ask what he will be able to inspect before hand I'm pretty sure you wont be able to get fluid samples unless you really plan ahead. A few years ago I remember looking at a used pre emission Bobcat ctl at a dealer I noticed the lifting arms were cracked by the cylinders. They supposedly did a "thorough" equipment inspection before it was listed.. I passed on that one. I never bid on anything at auction thinking its like a dealership you may be disappointed. you can look at tractor and heavy equipment websites to see what folks and dealerships are asking for similar items you are interested in. But ultimately the value is what folks will pay for it. Auction prices are still pretty crazy right now. Good luck.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying.
Most Items I've bought from auctions at a "steal", Id buy with the intention of using them for parts, or repurposing for something else, on more than one occasion I've surprised myself by getting the items running and operating. So far ive only been burned buying an electronic item at a auction. If it were me id look at what I was interested in twice as I always notice something I didn't see in my first inspection. I always plan to change all filters and fluids no matter what they look like plus it helps to familiarize me with the equipment, find other problems and you can start a PM schedule from there. Depending on age and value, small leaks here and there don't bother me like they used to. If your not comfortable inspecting equipment bring a buddy whos more knowledgeable than you. Or hire a heavy equipment mechanic to point out problems ask what he will be able to inspect before hand I'm pretty sure you wont be able to get fluid samples unless you really plan ahead. A few years ago I remember looking at a used pre emission Bobcat ctl at a dealer I noticed the lifting arms were cracked by the cylinders. They supposedly did a "thorough" equipment inspection before it was listed.. I passed on that one. I never bid on anything at auction thinking its like a dealership you may be disappointed. you can look at tractor and heavy equipment websites to see what folks and dealerships are asking for similar items you are interested in. But ultimately the value is what folks will pay for it. Auction prices are still pretty crazy right now. Good luck.
Yes, but I am finding a lot of them are low hrs or in very good shape, here are a few...

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #7  
Nice, well cared for equipment like those wont go for anything near 'bargain'.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #8  
I research the model online to find known issues, what to look for and if it is something I would want to fix if it has the issue or if I’m willing to accept the issues in the future and price accordingly. If it is not a consignment then I compare all the equipment to judge how well everything is maintained.

I have purchased couple tractors at auctions with good results. The best one was a JD 4430. Went couple weeks before auction test drove and checked it out. Clutch, shifting and driving went good. Hyd test was good. 3pt didn’t work right, dumping hyd. Oil in several locations leaking antifreeze Onto the ground. Went home researched and set my price. Bought it for $9000 and drove it 8 hours home. Nothing was fixed before auction so all tractors were there running and dumping fluids on the ground. It was a sight. The initial fix for issues was $1000.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying.
I research the model online to find known issues, what to look for and if it is something I would want to fix if it has the issue or if I’m willing to accept the issues in the future and price accordingly. If it is not a consignment then I compare all the equipment to judge how well everything is maintained.

I have purchased couple tractors at auctions with good results. The best one was a JD 4430. Went couple weeks before auction test drove and checked it out. Clutch, shifting and driving went good. Hyd test was good. 3pt didn’t work right, dumping hyd. Oil in several locations leaking antifreeze Onto the ground. Went home researched and set my price. Bought it for $9000 and drove it 8 hours home. Nothing was fixed before auction so all tractors were there running and dumping fluids on the ground. It was a sight. The initial fix for issues was $1000.
Ok, well I know the Kubota and John Deere line the best, and most of their known issues and the cost of repair, so ok with that. So what would it take to be a 'bargain', 40-50% of the true value? As I just checked this Kubota skid steer and wondering what would be worthwhile to bid as it looked good and had all the things are working as they should and no leaks or issues...

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #10  
Ok, well I know the Kubota and John Deere line the best, and most of their known issues and the cost of repair, so ok with that. So what would it take to be a 'bargain', 40-50% of the true value? As I just checked this Kubota skid steer and wondering what would be worthwhile to bid as it looked good and had all the things are working as they should and no leaks or issues...

Try defining "true value" :) These days that's not all that easy either.

It's very subjective from person to person what would be a good deal. I don't think you will find good reliable equipment for 40-50% of actual value. You will probably be able to find very questionable equipment for 40-50% of good equipment actual value. Then you have to decide if the risk is worth it to you.

Here is my subjective view. It will take research knowing what will be at the auction, researching actual moving prices for as similar of equipment that you can find in as close of shape as you can. If you would otherwise buy that piece of equipment for a similar price then it would be worth keeping an eye on the auction and trying to save 10-20%. Don't forget buyer's premium and freight and pick up time. A lot of auctions around here there is only a 3 hour or so window to pick up everything you won. I've been to a lot of auctions, some of them everything goes for a song and some everything goes for new prices or higher. There is no way to tell until you are there. Most auction companies are pretty honest with what information they have. Usually if they know something has problems, they will disclose that information. They rely on word of mouth and repeat business. That would not happen if they are known to mislead people. But, they don't know everything and don't typically do any homework past what is told to them. You own the problems you buy.