Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #41  
Not to get off topic but I'm curious about the 26K. In Texas exceeding that GVWR number will require a non-commercial class A license (rarely enforced), I came awful close with the combination of our 5th wheel and the F-450. Is that the case in Ohio as well?

I know nothing about aluminium trailers, but if there is an ounce of truth in the statement they can't be pulled empty without damage, then I'd never consider one. As someone else said, folks that deliver equipment always return empty, but then I've never seen them use an aluminium trailer for that kind of work.
Dually trucks and goosenecks rarely get a second look unless hauling a 3-car wedge here.

Almost hard to believe you had a f450 and 5th wheel and stayed under 26k gvwr but rv are usually exempt from everything

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #42  
Salesman is being a salesman,

Photo of +11,000 Lbs. combined tractor & (12K rated) trailer with load towed by factory ordered F-150. Only18-20 psi in the air bags. This truck compared to older F150's, is totally different animal. However if doing on daily basis, a new 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be much better.

Attachments

• 20220920_161148.jpg
    20220920_161148.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
   / Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #43  
OP, you are in SW Michigan, did you talk to BNM Trailer Sales in Elsie, MI? I have two trailers from them. The larger one is a heavy landscape trailer. 10k, 16ft with sides. They made it to my wishes. The other one is just a standard small utility trailer, 6 x 10ft. The thing about Beck's (at least years ago) was the inventory they had on the lot. Have not been past them in some time. Jon

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #44  
Almost hard to believe you had a f450 and 5th wheel and stayed under 26k gvwr.
The 5th wheel is a Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK designed to be pulled by a half-ton (Yeah, right!) pickup. It's just under 30 feet long, so it's small compared to most 5th wheels.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #45  
Technically its 10k trailer gvw.
Only the trailer? Most 5th-wheel trailers are over that. My Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK is spot on at 10K and there aren't many 5th wheels that are smaller, mine is only 29.5 feet long.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #46  
The 5th wheel is a Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK designed to be pulled by a half-ton (Yeah, right!) pickup. It's just under 30 feet long, so it's small compared to most 5th wheels.
What's the gvwr of the 450?

It's not the TOTAL weight....but the total weight RATING.

If your 450 is 16500 gvwr (pretty common for 2000-2010), and your 5'er is 10k....you are OVER 26k rated

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #47  
What's the gvwr of the 450?

It's not the TOTAL weight....but the total weight RATING.

If your 450 is 16500 gvwr (pretty common for 2000-2010), and your 5'er is 10k....you are OVER 26k rated

A 450 is more in the 15k range on the ones I’ve seen. But since it’s a private rv it doesn’t matter anyway. You could drive a 50k pound tandem axel bus pulling your 40 ft race car trailer behind that and not need a CDL.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #48  
A 450 is more in the 15k range on the ones I’ve seen. But since it’s a private rv it doesn’t matter anyway. You could drive a 50k pound tandem axel bus pulling your 40 ft race car trailer behind that and not need a CDL.
Company I do contract maintenance for on Mondays has 5 F-450's.

1 '03 with the 7.3
2 '03 with 6.0
1 '05 and 1 '07 with 6.0

They are all either 16k or 16.5k and the '07 is 17k

But your right. Rv don't matter.

But the point too many people think it's 26k actual weight and not the rating.

Lots of people with 14k trailers and 3/4 ton trucks that want to upgrade to a dually need to watch

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #49  
I'm in the trailer market and am going to buy an aluminum 22' with fold up ramps. I'm leading towards a 14k (7+7) over a 10K torsion axle setup. I'll be hauling my Kubota L6060 with loader which is around 5,000lbs plus the additional weight of any implements it might have attached, maybe another 1,000lbs. Or I'll be hauling 2 side by sides that total around 4,000lbs. The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it. I've not heard that before, any thoughts? Should I go with the 10k over the 14k? I like that the 14k has 16", 8 lug wheels.
Then how are you suppose get it home??? lol

I've pulled my 14K PJ trailer empty many times, all without damage to the trailer.

I'm always amazed what dealers will tell buyers!!

SR

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #50  
I have a GR L6060 also and when I do the math on weight I was over loaded on my 10000lb steel trailer. I came up with close to 10000lbs loaded weight. Now, that was with my forks on the front tied down, tractor, loader and backhoe and I also have loaded tires. I took the weights listed in owners manual not actual scales. I purchased a 14000lb steel trailer, to make me feel better. I also tow my Kubota zero turn on it more than my 6060. I have been doing this for a couple years now with no problem. I also run all my trailer tires at max psi. Yes, they do ride a little rougher. I also don't think a few psi will make that much difference on a 10 ply tire. (YMMV) Most usually when you see a trailer on side of the road with a tire completely blown out. It is because of low tire pressure. The aluminum may be more prone to cracking from bouncing than steel. I would ask the salesman to explain what damage could be done by towing empty, he may know something we don't. Good luck with what ever you decide.