Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #1  

L3130

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Would a 20' work or should I get a 24'? It will see little use. Only to groom a MX track from time to time. SEARCH is not working....

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #2  
Get as big and heavy as you can afford and pull safely. Don't forget to insure yourself with some new G70 chains, too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trailers are rarely too big, but often too small.

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #3  
You could probably get by with a 16'. Not a big deal if the BH sticks out the back a bit on short hauls.

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #4  
My trailer is an 18' dovetail but it only has 7000 Lbs GVW. I'd like to tow my L3130 on it but with the tractor, loader and backhoe I think I would be pushing it. Wonder how much it all weighs with loader and bh9000 on it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #5  
Well I have a L3130 with a Woods 9000 BH and a 7000# 18' car trialer with a dove tail. I have hauled it several times about 20 miles each way and it works. I'd recomend getting a bigger and heavier trailer.

Now for the story...When I bought that trailer a tractor was never even a thought. It was used for hauling boards for an RC car track so only about 3000# worth of stuff. The trailer had used car tires on it which was fine for the task at hand.

Lo and behold several years later I own a tractor! Loading the tractor on the trailer bent the crap out of the ramps and the tires looked half flat even with 50lbs in them. So we get the tractor home to the city house, about 7-8 miles.

First thing is get the ramps straight again and weld some angle iron to them. They worked great but now they don't fit under the trailer in the holder anymore. Seocnd thing was to get decent tires for the load. Third thing get a load leveling hitch and bars installed. The fourth thing was to screw down a couple 3x3 pieces of plywood to the trailer floor where the rear tires sit. There was a nice bow in the planks before that. Adding the ply was easier than adding more supports under the trailer and did the job just fine.

Now...thats all good stuff but with the hoe on there I'm still a 100# or so over the 7000# gross rating of the trailer. I think it will live just fine hauling the tractor once in a while. The tractor hasn't seen the trailer for over two years now.

With an 18' trailer it can be a little tough to get the balance correct. With the BH and loader the FEL bucket has to hang up and over the front of the trailer.

If I were buying a trailer today for the tractor it would be a 20' 10k unit with slide in ramps.

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #6  
I haven't figured it out for some time but close as I remember about 7,000 lbs. or just under with unloaded tires and amost 7,900 with loaded tires. It's deceiving what the implements add. There was a thread on this a year or so back and someone had the weight for the BH, 723 FEL, etc. listed. I just recall near 8K for mine. Means a 10K trailer is marginal for legal, depending it's weight. 12K is real safe.

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #7  
Everyone has their own ideas on the perfect trailer, so here is mine. I agree a 10K GVW trailer, 18 or 20 feet long will work for you. I don't like slide in ramps, or should I say my back does not like them. Fold down ramps that are spring loaded work better and support the back end of the trailer when loading. A dove tail will also help and keep the BH from draging. My ideal trailer would have a popup dove tail so I could also use the whole trailer as a flatbed for hay and other stuff. Bumper pull trailers are OK for hauls with a weight distributing hitch. A goose neck trailer is far more stable.
Hope this helps.

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #8  
My tractor is close the same size as the L3160. With my hoe on it's hard to get the right balance with a 16' tractor. I really can't pull the tractor up as far as I would like and even at that it is to heavy on the tongue. I really need to buy an equalizing hitch and then it might be all right.

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #9  
When I bought the trailer a tractor was a 'thought' but I thought a BX 22/23 would be really great. For the 2-5 acres we wanted. Well we got 19 acres and a lot of stumps and brush so a L-3430 is what we ended up with.

The trailer is a 12,000 GVW 20 footer, (18' flat and 2' dove tail). I towed it for the first time in many months to help out a friend. With the box blade and loader the balance point was a bit forward of what I like. BTW I have loaded tires. I had to put the PHD in the bed of the truck, more for ease and not needing to secure like on the trailer bed.

It tows nice and gets the job done but if I were to buy a new trailer next week it would be a 28'-30' triple axle gooseneck. That way I would have room for all of the toys, and balancing is not as important.

If I were you I would opt for the 24', or go get a gooseneck.

steve

/ Trailer size for a L3130 with backhoe #10  
We have a Hudson Bros Trailer HSE18, 5 Ton deck over for our L3130. I think it has 16' flat and a 3' tail. It weighs just under 3,000 lbs and tows very nice with our 1 ton pickup. Tractor fits nice with bucket of front end loader against front rub rail and the backhoe sits very nice on the tail. We chain the front end the rear end of tractor and run a strap over backhoe bucket so it doesn't bounce around on long trips. The trailer also has a flat spot within the tounge for chain and binder storage. Hope this helps.