Trailer specs for hauling a tractor

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #1  

RPM

Platinum Member
For a variety of reasons I have been given approval by the Chief Financial Officer (aka my wife) to go and get a trailer for my BX.

I did a search on the board and the Internet and came up with a rough figure of $1300 for a trailer with tandem axles and electric brakes.

I'm particularly interested in what a good size would be - my BX is ideal for me right now but if I ever move to a larger property I may want to upgrade to something like a 2910.

For the next few years I'll be towing infrequently with my Isuzu Trooper (rated for 5000 lbs) and already have the appropriate hitch (was bundled with the deal).

Also, what other uses have you guys had for your trailers? The more I think about it the more handy it's going to be!

Any and all input appreciated ...

Patrick

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #2  
Hi Patrick,
I bought a new 16' 7000# GVW rated tandem axle trailer w/brakes for $1200. It has just over 6' clearance between the fenders, which gives me 1/4" clearance on each side of my 72" MMM mounted on my Kubota 2910. I will also use this trailer to transport my 41 Ford on rare occasions, and probably haul wood on occasion. I also have a 3/4 ton Chevy 4WD pickup w/HD trailer towing suspension and a 350 engine. When I haul my 2910 w/loader, MMM and box blade, I feel that I am about at the safe towing limits of my truck. You may be able to haul your BX with your Isuzu, but I seriuosly doubt you would be able to safely haul a 2910 without doing some major damage to your truck's engine, transmission or suspension.
You may want to search for trailer towing, as this topic was discussed recently, but I'm not sure which topic heading it was under.
Joe W.

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor
Joe,

Thanks for the response - good point re:towing a 2910 - by the time I moved up in property size I would certainly be on a different vehicle so shouldn't be an issue!

Patrick

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #4  
Patrick,
I to use a 16 ft. trailer rated at 7000 lbs. brakes on one axle, to tow my B2710. I have just enough room when I have the FEL and brush hog on. and I use the wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee with 6 cyl. to tow it. I use it about once a month and go about 24 miles round trip. (I have attached a photo, but it does not show the whole trailer). I think you will not need anything bigger than a 16 ft. trailer for a B2910, unless you have a backhoe and what to carry some other implements at the same time.

18-30445-von.gif

Attachments

• 2-68513-trailered.jpg
    2-68513-trailered.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 966
   / Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #5  
If you have a V6 Trooper you are right at the limit of this unit's ability to pull, manage and stop a tandem trailer loaded with a compact tractor. I just upgraded to a newer trailer to haul either of my tractors and their attachments based on more than one less than wonderful experience with my old tandem trailer. A 16 foot trailer with 7000 lb axles should be large enough for most compacts with a loader and a rear mount mower. PT wood floors have worked best for me as opposed to steel. Side pockets are a must. My 16 footer is 14 feet long with a 2 foot dove tail. The dove tail makes loading and unloading much easier, no belly mower damage. I have flip up ramps that slide side to center that require minimal lifting. This trailer is 76" between fenders. The fenders are hard fenders that will hold 300 lbs without folding. Most importantly this trailer has 4 wheel surge brakes not electric brakes, meaning I can use this trailer on any tow vehicle without the electric brake hookup mess or strap on any load without resetting the brake module so the brakes don't come on too soon or too late. Plus, I'm in compliance with Federal Law for tandem trailers with this towing capacity which states all wheels that touch the ground must have a brake on them. This is a custom trailer that was primed top and bottom, then painted top and bottom with two coats of paint, that weighs 2200 lbs and cost just under $2,000 to have built. I currently pull this trailer with a 4wd Tacoma rated at 5000 lb towing capacity and a class 3 hitch, which in my opinion is too small on all three counts to use with this trailer. I will be switching to a 3/4 ton Amercian built truck soon. Good luck and be careful. ric

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #6  
I have been hearing that some states are going to require electric brakes on trailers (I think several already have) which would obsolete the surge brakes. Also, there apparently is a remote controller to operate electric brake trailers (hand held, I think) that controls the braking unit that is powered through the electric hook-up. Does this hearsay make any sense to anyone in the know?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Looks like I'll be going after a 16 foot trailer with a dove-tail / beaver-tail, tandem axles with electric brakes on both axles. I did see in Northern Tool that they have a hand held controller for the brakes.

I'm only planning on doing this 5 or 6 times a year with the tractor - and then not for long journeys. I figured the weight as follows:

BX2200 = 1300 lbs
MMM = 210 lbs
Trailer = approx 2200 lbs

Total is around 3700 lbs - safely below the limit of 5000. Room for fuel, tools and stuff in there too. The trooper has a towing setting on the transmission that changes all the shift points and the engine is designed to deliver torque down low - it's a clever set-up - variable risers, 4 valves per cylinder, etc etc. The frame is also a full rail set-up -- not unibody like on most SUVs these days. Based on this and comments from other Trooper owners (it's a fairly enthusiastic bunch) I feel confident within the limits stated.

Since I'm not doing this regularly - let's call it a charitable effort - I'm not too worried about using my Trooper. Only places I go are close, so I could always do a couple of trips if/when I need/add more 'stuff' - that's a lot cheaper than changing towing vehicle.

If I upgrade to a larger tractor then I'll definitely change vehicle - just don't want to have to change the trailer too!

Another question - I've heard concerns about electric brakes not braking evenly on the axles and causing the trailer to pull to one side or the other -- any truth in this? Any tips for the right brake controller / right set-up?

Thanks,

Patrick

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #8  
I personally think the weight ratio pulliing vehicle to tailer w/load is more important than the vehicle's towing capacity.

Patrick, how much does your truck weight, net not gross?

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (30 hrs)

Woodstock,

My Isuzu weighs 4600 lbs - a nice balance with the towing capacity. 215 hp and 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes make it start and stop fast too!

Patrick

/ Trailer specs for hauling a tractor #10  
<font color=blue>I've heard concerns about electric brakes not braking evenly on the axles and causing the trailer to pull to one side or the other -- any truth in this?</font color=blue>

Patrick, I've never had that happen, though there's no doubt in my mind that it could happen. Actually electric trailer brakes are easier to work on than the hydraulic brakes on your car, and if that should happen, then some kind of repair is needed. I'd start by looking for a broken wire letting current get to the wheel on one side and not the other.

Bird