Trailer surge brake bleeding

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #1  

alexinPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I got boat trailer with surge brakes. Only use it twice a year to take boat in and out of the lake, 30 mi round trip. The manual says to bleed brakes every year. Do i really need it? We don't bleed car brakes every year... Comments?

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #2  
Trailers get less use but sit a lot. moisture can occur during this time. Especially on a boat trailer. Metal does attract moisture.

"we" dont bleed our car brakes yearly....
Vehicle brake bleeding is a area of brake service that is greatly ignored. We dont llke paying for a service we cant see and mechanics as a whole dont like bleeding brakes. We assume thats all included in a brake service.

Brake bleeding should be done every 5 years or every brake service which ever comes first. you would be amazed at how many shops do a brake repair without bleeding the system when done.

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #3  
I flush the brakes on my vehicles every five years. Brake fluid tends to attract moisture.

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #6  
Is flashing different from bleeding?

Bleeding is to get air out. Bleed the air out. When you don't have air then you are flushing. You'd be amazed with the results of flushing old dark fluid until you get clear fluid, on anything. Trucks, trailers, tractors, anything.

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #7  
When moisture laden brake fluid is put under pressure (brakes applied), the water turns to steam, which can be compressed, leading to brake fade.

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #8  
Not to down play this flushing idea...............I'd bet that there is not 1 in several thousand hydraulic brakes (trailers, autos, trucks, tractors) that get flushed...even in their life time, much more every 5 years....just saying. One time before the 55 mph standard came about, there was a 80-- 90 (can't remember) mph speed limit on the Kansas Turnpike......Man ....did I experience some brake fading for emergency stops....back in the 70s.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #9  
Anti-lock brake hydraulic control unit _1500.00, quart of dot 4 synthetic brake fluid 10.00. Simple math to me. Gravity bleed brake calipers at every brake service.

/ Trailer surge brake bleeding #10  
My family has had a boat since like 2005 with surge brakes. I’m not saying it’s the best approach but we’ve never touched them.