Oil & Fuel Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #1  

mjw357

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
B3200 just hit 50 HR mark. Per manual, need to change engine oil/filter, trans. filter and hydraulic oil filter. But chart shows that transmission fluid not due till 400 HR. Manual shows procedure to change trans oil filter includes pulling drain plugs. So, either:

1) The manual is wrong, and you don't need to drain the trans oil prior to changing filter.

2) The manual is wrong, and you will, by necessity, be changing the trans oil at 50 HR.

I'm sure this has been kicked around, but I did a search and just got done reading through 10 pages of people discussing tire leaks and winshield washer fluid.

Anyone that can share experience with this is appreciated.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #2  
Change the trans oil as well . You've spent thousands and thousands
on this HST tractor , and a few gallons of oil is peanuts . The filters
are not that good and metal particles will still be moving through
the system ; ditch it . I changed trans oil and filter together . This
" ours goes for longer without trans oil change " is more a brag
than common sense !

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #3  
Do not change the trans fluid. Why waste a bunch of money after you've spent so much for a great machine from a great manufacturer that says don't change it.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #4  
As you can see there are 2 schools of though on this. I will just say, I followed the manual on mine, Changed the engine oil, oil filter and both hydraulic/hydro filters. ( you will lose some fluid) . I may change before 400, but I did not change at 50. I read a lot of the threads too, and decided to just do what Kubota recommended.

James K0UA

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #5  
Do what you want; but, I drained the HYD oil at 50 HR on my BX25, pulled the suction strainer, and changed the filter. I was amazed at the amount of grit there was in the oil. Started with a clean pan and draind oil off slow, tabelspoon full of grit in the bottom, strainer had the same grit only larger particles and some kind of black gunk. I am glad I decided to ignore the manual. Engine oil was clean however. Coming up on the 400 HR soon. I think I will change out all the fluids this time just to be safe.

I decided not to use Kubota products due to the cost and driving 40 miles one way to get it. I get the same spec fluids and filters at NAPA (10 minutes away)for almost half the cost due to getting fleet pricing with my retired military ID.

Ron

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #6  
I replaced filters and fluids at 50 hours, including front axle. Made me sleep better at night. Double check front axle oil level whether you change it or not. Philip.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #7  
Yep, always two camps, I go by the manual; always have with no ill effects. If it makes you feel better or sleep good, I guess you should do it, just a waste of money and resources to me.

There are those who still change the oil in their cars every 3000 miles.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #8  
Yep, always two camps, I go by the manual; always have with no ill effects. If it makes you feel better or sleep good, I guess you should do it, just a waste of money and resources to me.

There are those who still change the oil in their cars every 3000 miles.

EDIT: For those of you that don't like to read ramblings, stories and want only the facts please, please stop NOW and don't read this because it will just make you mad that this forum is open to anyone with no censorship or almost no censorship!!!!

I have to confess.:ashamed:
Growing up in the 60s and buying my first (around 150 now) car in 1964 I did a couple of times add Motor Honey even though I did not believe it did anything for the car.
One could say it was cheap insurance like changing Hydraulic fluids every 133 hours or maybe every 162 hours. Don't know why people that want to "overdo" pick a specific number other than the Manuf recommended number but go figure.
Now in defense of the 3000 mile oil change. TripleR your old enough to know that based on oil products and machine tolerances and manuf recommendations in the 1950s and 1960s the oil change was the most important thing one could do for their vehicle to reach that 50 to 60 thousand mile mark!!! Well, except for those people that didn't and just poured Motor Honey in them every 13 weeks.:)
You know or some of you know when I get started on these fantasy tales I almost write a book.:D .....If you don't like my stories STOP NOW!!!!!!
I like some of the good memories of the late 50s and 60s BUT there were also some things maybe not as great as we tend to remember of those times. Maybe it's better that we can forget the bad things of the Good Ole Days and only remember the Good. Maybe not.;)
Anyway, I think things change over like let's say 50 YEARS! I still FIGHT the inclination to change my 2012 manuf oil for my 2011 vehicles every 3000 miles. It's really cheap insurance you know! But alas, I will grudgingly wait sometimes till 4500 to 5000 miles and sweat every mile over 3500.:laughing:
Being a Counselor myself I have to also fight my own demons of wanting to live in the past while using current day technology or is it live in the current time and stick to the technology of the past?:confused:
As I bring this tale to an end I say make up a number that lets you sleep well and if you can afford it, change it at exactly that number or maybe 30 hours before but NEVER go over your MADE UP NUMBER. iF YOU DO.........YOUR MACHINE IS GOING TO FIRST SEIZE UP AND THEN IT WILL EXPLODE LIKE SO MANY HAVE DONE IN THE PAST 15 YEARS. Change it I say, change it!!!! Or not and call for an appointment.:D

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #9  
"YOUR MACHINE IS GOING TO FIRST SEIZE UP AND THEN IT WILL EXPLODE LIKE SO MANY HAVE DONE IN THE PAST 15 YEARS. Change it I say, change it!!!! Or not and call for an appointment."

That was good, i enjoyed reading it.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #10  
Good reply JT. I am a big fan of early fluid changes. In my mind, I am washing out assembly debris, left over dirt, and material from break in. Yes, it does make me sleep better at night. I change my tractor fluid and filters at 50 hours, and my on road vehicles at 1000 miles. Now for the tractor, I do short change the intervals. I do not put on many hours a year, and the tractors for me are lifers. I will have them till I die, and hopefully pass onto future generations. For on road vehicles, they get lots of miles, and they are not lifers. I use an oil analysis study to maximize oil change intervals. My on road vehicles go 8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes, based on the used oil analysis report. Boils down to how the equipment is used, personal preference, and how you like to spend money. At least we can make our own decisions! Philip.