Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I've been reading threads in this forum for awhile and have been particularly interested in the comments and remarks about transmission reliability. I thought it might be helpful to get this real-world info into one thread.

So, considering new Chevy/GMC, Dodge and Ford 3/4 and 1T stock trannies, approximately how many miles of trouble free operation could one expect assuming that the normal maintenance schedule is followed per the operation manual, that the max towing limits are not exceeded and that towing mileage is normal (whatever that means)? And what would be the most like point(s) of failure in these trannnies?

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #2  
If the engines are kept stock(diesels),they will all last a good long time.GM's allison is a strong trans,although its ratios are not quite as good as Dodges 68RFE auto.The Dodge 6 speed auto has the best gearing of any of the HD truck autos,hands down.Fords 5 speed auto is at least 4 years behind the times,until the 2011s come out.Fords 5speed auto had a few problems its first yr or 2 with plow trucks,and cases breaking,pins coming out while driving,but they seem to have gotten them resolved.Id trust any of them,but Id trust the Allison the most if i had to choose one for maximum reliability.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #3  
One big issue is what Raw Dodge said. Keeping the power levels at stock. It's too easy today to get big increases in hp and torque output of a diesel engine with just a few hundred dollar programmer. This is causing a lot of tranmsission to fail. Some guys add the programmers and don't realize what its going to do to the transmission. Just something to keep in mind when people you hear of a transmission failing. First question should be was there a power added used...

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #4  
My Dodge is an '01. I am about to hit 128000 miles, no tranny issues. My truck is stock, except an air filter and 4" exhaust.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #5  
To me the biggest factor is towing. I would think any of the big three, no matter what size truck, will last well over 100,000 miles if not towing very often. If you put a max load behing them every day, I don't know whose is the best.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #6  
Keep the diesels stock and keep up with maint and you shouldn稚 have an issue at all. Look at manual trannys if you want even more reliability, I have a 05 Dodge with the NV5600 in it. Its cast iron, heavy and big but a programmer would still cause issues with the clutch. Bottom line is if you use the truck for what it was intended and keep within the towing specs of the manufacture you should be in good shape. I do like the Ally in the GM's though..now if I could just find me a Ford truck with a Cummins engine with a Allison tranny behind it I would be set.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #7  
Any of the big 3 offer great transmissions. As long as you use the truck as it was intended, keep the engine stock, drive it with some common sense when you tow, and keep up on regular maintenance, than you shouldn't have any problems. If you stay within those parameter's than there is no reason a stock transmission can't last a couple hundred thousand miles.

:cool:

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #8  
Well put. Have had myself, or had friends, with Roadrunners, Mustangs, Camaro's, Trans-Am's. Most never had real issues until bigger carbs, solid cams, headers ect. Then things start to break... :eek:

Any of the big 3 offer great transmissions. As long as you use the truck as it was intended, keep the engine stock, drive it with some common sense when you tow, and keep up on regular maintenance, than you shouldn't have any problems. If you stay within those parameter's than there is no reason a stock transmission can't last a couple hundred thousand miles.

:cool:

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #9  
My 97 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins powered truck is still running the original trans. It's got just over 138k on the clock. The star wheel is the only tweeking I've done to the pump.

M.D.

/ Transmission reliability-3/4 and 1T PUs #10  
Killer of any tranny is heat. Change the fluid ever 25K and you will be money ahead. Most people never think about tranny fluid but do 3K oil changes like its religion. Like others said, all 3 now have great auto trannys but that was not the case 7 or so years ago.

Chris