Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #21  
We started with a 10.5' Sandpiper slide-in pickup camper on a 3/4 ton Chevy, then went to a 24' Holiday Vacationer conventional travel trailer, to an 18' Winnebago Brave motorhome, to an 18' conventional travel trailer, when the kids were small.

Then when I retired, we became full time RVers for 6 years, got a 32' Carri-Lite fifth-wheel and one ton Chevy, later traded up to a 40' Bounder motorhome.

But we've not had an RV since the end of 1994 so anything I could tell you about RVs would be seriously dated.:laughing:

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip
I would assume that a tandem axle is preferable but can't say exactly why. I figure the trailer is designed for one or the other based on length but I suspect there are other factors. I've towed a tandem axle horse trailer and a 12-foot single axle landscape trailer and really can't cite any differences in the experience. So please expand on the axle count thing. Thanks.

I camped with my wife for over 25 years. Started out with a truck cover, graduated to a truck camper, two tag a longs, and then finally a fifth wheel. My dad has owned 7 RV's in his lifetime. I speak from experience. Several things to consider.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4163017

1. How mechanically inclined are you? Campers need constant attention. Lots of things to maintain. To me that was part of the allure of camping. I enjoyed making sure everything was in order and in good working condition. With that said issues still arise from time to time.

2. Keep the unit shedded or covered. Most units have rubber roofs and they will dry rot due to the sun. I think that most roof warranty's are 12 years.

3. Keep the tires covered and in good shape. Sun UV degradation and time are your enemies.

4. I would advise a tandem axle.

5. Make sure that you have access to a good dealer or support for warranty work or service if you are not mechanically inclined.

6. It is a lifestyle and an enjoyable one.

Keep us update on the purchase. RV.net has a great wealth of information.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #23  
If you have a blow out you can safely limp to a location to change out a flat. Not as easy with a single axle IMHO. In my experience doubles pull better and are more stable than singles. That may have as much to do with a longer wheelbase typically associated with doubles.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #24  
If you have a blow out you can safely limp to a location to change out a flat. Not as easy with a single axle IMHO. In my experience doubles pull better and are more stable than singles. That may have as much to do with a longer wheelbase typically associated with doubles.

And with a dual axle. when you do get a blow out, the tire on a double is easier to change if you have one of these:

51yNFCq5-PL._SX522_.jpg

trailer-aid-tandem-tire-changing-ramp-2-650x489.jpg

Having changed trailer tires on the side of the road in all kinds of weather, I highly recommend these.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #26  
I always assumed a double axle trailer pulled better because it was more resistant to direction changes and therefore less likely to get into a "sway" situation. I'm not sure if this is correct but it seems like every trailer I've ever seen fishtailing on the highway has been a single axle. I would guess on a travel trailer in a cross wind this could make a big difference.

Not disputing the anti sway effect at all but I've had the pleasure of putting a tandem axel trailer into a fishtail/whip action. It was a horse trailer loaded with hay. I crested a hill next to a tractor trailer and hung beside him a bit too long. The horse trailer would always get sucked in and then pushed out by the wind stream of a big truck but this time the suck/push worked just right to set off a wide wild swing that was genuinely scary. He backed off and I slowed down and then exited the interstate to collect myself. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

Thank you all again for your thoughts - I've learned a lot already.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #28  
I was new to the RV game a few years ago, but since have gained quite a bit of experience. We've lived out of our fifth wheel for just about a year now up here on our off-grid property (with children).

I started with a 2006 26' Coachman that I used initially for staying on the property for the initial construction. We still have it, and it gets used a lot by friends, family and of course it is perfect for hunting. Nothing like stepping into a nice warm and cozy RV, taking a shower, cooking up dinner and kicking back with some TV after a long day of elk hunting.

IMG_2936.jpg

It tows well, is super simple and VERY affordable. I think I paid about $7,500 for it a few years ago. I would recommend this style to anyone. Not for long term however, just not enough creature comforts or space.

For longer term, last year I bought a 36' Cougar fifth wheel w/ 2 bedrooms w/ bunk beds. I bought an F-450 to pull it amongst all of the other things I plan on towing up here (tractors, dozers, cattle, etc). We have pretty much lived up here on the property for about a year now full-time, and the fifth wheel feels like a home rather than an RV. The separate rooms allow the children to have their own place, and the full-sized bathroom is a must if you plan on any lengthy stays.

IMG_1332.jpg

If I had to list out my requirements for buying another RV (used):

No signs of rodents
Biggest hot water tank you can find (5 gal min, 10 gal best)
Awning in good shape
Switch out 12v battery to two 6v batteries in series
Spare tire
Converter in good shape (lights dimming / brightening as it turns on / off = bad)

RVs are all about the details. RVs go from worth something to worthless very quickly if the little details aren't maintained. Small things like making sure the refrigerator is cleaned, the caulking around the tub/shower, doors, drawers and cabinets all open/close properly. Seems obvious, but when all of these little things all begin to break or fail at once, you end up towing a piece of junk.

And I agree about towing it before buying it. You'll want to make sure you are towing as level as possible, and that it pulls straight.

I've come to really enjoy RV'ing. I hope you find something you like and have a blast.

~Moses

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #29  
I started with a 2006 26' Coachman that I used initially for staying on the property for the initial construction. We still have it, and it gets used a lot by friends, family and of course it is perfect for hunting. Nothing like stepping into a nice warm and cozy RV, taking a shower, cooking up dinner and kicking back with some TV after a long day of elk hunting.

~Moses

AMEN !!! To that !!! :thumbsup:

So lets say you're going on a three or four month ramble across the south. Do you take a gun just in case or is a gun just asking for trouble with local and state authorities?