TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I grew up with tractors, and to my knowledge, we never had an issue with algae in diesel. I am 99.99% sure we never treated anything, but then again... I was more of a worker and my Grandpa could have had that all covered and I never realized it.

Fast Forward 30yrs.

I purchased a 5100e 3 yrs ago and built a 275gal tank. It was a previous heating oil tank that I cleaned out and painted. I put in a good electric pump and have been using it with Off-road diesel pumped in around 200-250gal loads several times a year. All diesel runs through a GoldenRod water/debris filter at the tank before it goes into my tractor.

About 2 months ago, I was having low fuel rail pressure codes, so I changed my filters and it continued. neither filter looked dirty and there was no water, but I was having issues. Finally, I took it in, and they said there was 'BAD' algae in the tank to the degree that it was clogging up the debris screen in the tank.

So... $600 later, I'm adding $4 of antimicrobial to each 250gal.

I KNEW it could happen... but it all seemed more theoretical than real. And since my filters were always 'clean', I didn't think much about it.

I just keep thinking how much diesel treatment and useful time I could have had for that $600.

I just purchased the treatment they had at John Deere, so I am set for a year or so. Each Quart treats 2500gal so that will likely get me to spring next year. But, do you have any recommendations on a brand of treatment for the future?

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #2  
My dad has a 125 gallon diesel tank that has been set up since the 1970's and he's never treated it and never had a problem BUT he doesn't have anything with common rail injection either.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #3  
I bought the Power Service Bio-Kleen. It was not cheap but decided it was a wise precaution as I may have fuel sitting for months.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #4  
We have had bulk Diesel for half a century and only once did I have an issue with Algae on A JD 770. It was in the fuel tank and in the filter. Terrible! No other issues with various other equipment.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #5  
We have had bulk Diesel for half a century and only once did I have an issue with Algae on A JD 770. It was in the fuel tank and in the filter. Terrible! No other issues with various other equipment.

I believe low Sulphur fuels are less resistant to algae and can cause problems when stored for longer periods and under certain conditions. Likely not much of a concern if someone is going through it quickly.

I would rather play it safe as I do not use a lot of fuel so the cost (insurance) is minor. YMMV.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #6  
I don't use as much as I used to. I would go broke if I maintained everything in the best possible way or as suggested by the manufacturer. I have never flushed a radiator in my life, just as an example.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #7  
Keep the moisture out of your diesel and you won't have algae...

In 50 years of running diesels here, we have never had it and never used anything in our diesel to prevent it.

It's all about how you store your fuel, not about luck of anything else...

SR

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #8  
I don't use as much as I used to. I would go broke if I maintained everything in the best possible way or as suggested by the manufacturer. I have never flushed a radiator in my life, just as an example.

I've had diesel tanks over 40 years. Some decades we'd run them pretty hard and go through several hundred gallons a year, other times we might get a 250 gallon fill and have it last a few years. Never forget that the stuff you're burning is several million years old.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #9  
We have had that problem a few years ago after an extremely wet year due to hurricanes south of us. We had it stop the fuel line completely up on a John Deere 4430 and an IH 806. You couldn’t see the algae until we put the treatment in it and let it set. We changed fuel filters every couple of days for about a week until we got all of it out. I try not to keep a lot of diesel that will be stored for long periods and if I do, I put the treatment in it. It’s nothing worse than having something you need to do and the tractor won’t stay running.

/ TREAT your diesel for algae... or pay the price. #10  
I have wondered if tractors with the fuel tank above and behind the engine are more suceptible to algae growth from the engines heat.