Trelliss to espalier pear trees

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
Espalier is the ancient horticultural art of pruning and training a tree or shrub to grow flat against a support. I have a 7' high retainer wall below my driveway doing nothing, so last year I set out 4 pear trees at the base of it, spaced about 20' apart. Couple days ago, I got started on the trellis work. I drilled 2 rows of 17 1" holes 4" deep in the 12" concrete filled block, about 5' apart. Cut 34 pcs of 3/4" (ID) black iron pipe 12" long, and drove them in the holes along with some expoxy cement to make sure they stay. Hard as it was to get them in the holes, I don't think they will coming out, even w/o the expoxy.

Then I put a slight bend (wall has a radius) in some 1" pipe (got a real deal on a whole bunch of scrap pipe at a local plumbing supply a while back.....probably thousand + bucks worth of metal for 100 bucks) and MIG welded it to the stubbed out 3/4" pcs.

enhance

enhance

Now I'll get a couple coats of Rustoleum galvanizing paint (to keep the heat down on the metal), let that dry a while, then slowly start bending the new branches horizontal instead the straight up vertical pears like to grow. Hope in a few years to have the wall covered with pear branches.

In addition to just being fun, I'm hoping the retained heat sink of this south facing wall will help mitigate late spring frosts we're prone to get here that kill off fruit blossoms and fruit buds. Time will tell.

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #2  
I've always wanted to do that with apple trees but never had the wall to put it on. Will be watching your progress for the next few years. Thanks, and it looks great! :thumbsup:

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #3  
Espalier is the ancient horticultural art of pruning and training a tree or shrub to grow flat against a support. I have a 7' high retainer wall below my driveway doing nothing, so last year I set out 4 pear trees at the base of it, spaced about 20' apart. Couple days ago, I got started on the trellis work. I drilled 2 rows of 17 1" holes 4" deep in the 12" concrete filled block, about 5' apart. Cut 34 pcs of 3/4" (ID) black iron pipe 12" long, and drove them in the holes along with some expoxy cement to make sure they stay. Hard as it was to get them in the holes, I don't think they will coming out, even w/o the expoxy.

Then I put a slight bend (wall has a radius) in some 1" pipe (got a real deal on a whole bunch of scrap pipe at a local plumbing supply a while back.....probably thousand + bucks worth of metal for 100 bucks) and MIG welded it to the stubbed out 3/4" pcs.

enhance

enhance

Now I'll get a couple coats of Rustoleum galvanizing paint (to keep the heat down on the metal), let that dry a while, then slowly start bending the new branches horizontal instead the straight up vertical pears like to grow. Hope in a few years to have the wall covered with pear branches.

In addition to just being fun, I'm hoping the retained heat sink of this south facing wall will help mitigate late spring frosts we're prone to get here that kill off fruit blossoms and fruit buds. Time will tell.

That looks very interesting! Like Moss, I have no place where that would make sense. However, you are making judicious use of your space. Well done. I too will be watching for your progress.

Frank

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #4  
Some of the newer orchards in the Okanogan valley are trellised. It looks exactly like a grape arbor situation until you get right up next to it. There are definite advantages - has to be - because its a substantial added cost to the normal layout.

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees
Some of the newer orchards in the Okanogan valley are trellised. It looks exactly like a grape arbor situation until you get right up next to it. There are definite advantages - has to be - because its a substantial added cost to the normal layout.

I'm sure picking labor is an issue.....much easier to pick, or prune for that matter, if it's lower to the ground. That was one of my considerations. Pear trees have a tendency to grow almost straight up, and I'm to the age that ladders are not my friend :D .

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #6  
Espalier with dwarf fruit trees results in more fruit per acre than traditional orchards. I have 5 dwarf pear trees (Not espalier) that when the weather is right at blossom time produce about fifty pounds of fruit per tree.
Your project looks like a great use of the space and will be very nice looking when the trees grow into it. When you get a huge crop it will also protect the trees from the breakage that can occur in unsupported trees.
As a side note a few mason bee blocks near your trees helps with pollination, around here the mason bees are out and about earlier than the honey bees.

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #7  
Never heard of this before and I'm looking forward to following your progress.

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees #9  
most of my trees are espaliered on wires like my vineyard.

/ Trelliss to espalier pear trees
most of my trees are espaliered on wires like my vineyard.

How do you like it ? Are the trees of bearing age yet, and what do you think of production.

We had 1,000 grape vines out about 30 years ago, trying to raise wine grapes for a local winery that went under about the time ours really started bearing. With no local market for french wine grapes, I took all the trellis/posts/etc down, bushhogged the grapes off and put some cows on the new pasture. Gotten a whole lot more freezer beef out of that area than we ever made off grapes. :D