"Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment)

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Got a 20 Ton Troy Bilt log splitter, Honda engine, that runs well. Getting more painful to bend and lift and got a lot of wood to split as I clear a wooded area.

While I can tilt the splitter to vertical was thinking to add a hydraulic winch to help drag/lift log sections. Most I have found here so far is about dragging large logs uphill or get machinery unstuck. And most hydraulic winches I've seen are way too big and expensive for my needs.

Ideas?

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #2  
The tree service that cut some trees for me last month had a winch on their wood chipper. It really reduced their work load. I can see how a winch could be helpful to you, but I'm not sure how you'd add one to your splitter. One issue would be that the log splitter would need to be pretty well anchored to use as a winch point or it could get toppled over.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #3  
The tree service that cut some trees for me last month had a winch on their wood chipper. It really reduced their work load. I can see how a winch could be helpful to you, but I'm not sure how you'd add one to your splitter. One issue would be that the log splitter would need to be pretty well anchored to use as a winch point or it could get toppled over.
Ditto.... Which mean it need to be coupled to tractor or PU for stability for winching operations... Use tractor for moving and lifting things...

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment)
Not intending to pull logs or trees, just cut 22 inch sections to split. But I see how it could be an issue with really wide/heavy pieces.

Just trying to save my back/hip which is hollering at me lately. I could not start my Stihl 029 yesterday and had to use the 012. Then I quit for the day when I realized I not able to move fast enough if I needed to without falling on my ass.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #5  
Why not have a strong pallet on a couple saw horses against your splitter and hoist chunks up to the pallet with your FEL. Then roll the chunks to the splitter bed.
or, if you have forks, load the pallet with chunks and place against the splitter in top of saw horses. Make the heigth level with the splitter rail, then you can just roll them onto the splitter waist high.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #7  
Just get a small winch and a small hydraulic motor and sprocket drive it. I work in poultry houses. Miles of cable and tons of winches.

The septic tanks, concrete ones, are delivered and let down with a winch. Motor is the size of a household coffee cup.

Little winches in poultry houses will pop 3/16" galvanized aircraft cable. I can take the same cable and pull a fairly well stuck vehicle out with it. The 12v side by side winches can be had at hobo frate.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment)
Just get a small winch and a small hydraulic motor and sprocket drive it. I work in poultry houses. Miles of cable and tons of winches.

The septic tanks, concrete ones, are delivered and let down with a winch. Motor is the size of a household coffee cup.

Little winches in poultry houses will pop 3/16" galvanized aircraft cable. I can take the same cable and pull a fairly well stuck vehicle out with it. The 12v side by side winches can be had at hobo frate.
Any sizing suggestions? I see this one, but is seems pretty low torque for the task:

0.76 cu in Dynamic BMM12.5FB1U Hydraulic Motor | Low Speed High Torque Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulic Motors | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #9  
That's what chains and sprockets are for. Winches work good d at 250:1. So a 50:1 winch box with a 4:1 drive, will be close enough. Then you can still double line your winch and double the winch power.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #10  
I'll ask the obvious question...Why not use a hydraulic log loader? I put one on my splitter and it lifts 24" long logs, some of which are over 30" in diameter, without effort. Plus it makes a nice "table" to place smaller stuff on so it is easy to reach to load into the splitter.

You already have the hydraulics, so all that is needed is a valve, a relatively small cylinder, and some fabrication to make the lift.

What really helped my back was adding some trailer jacks to my splitter this year that allow me to raise the entire splitter up to a more comfortable operating height. Because the loader does the heavy lifting it doesn't matter that the splitting table is 3 feet off of the ground.