Troy built chipper/shredder manual?

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #1  

daman1

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E TLB
Just picked this unit up i think it's a tomahawk,it's a model 47024 it has a 10 HP Tecumseh engine would like to find a manual for it,i did a google search with out much luck anyone know of one or could help me out?

thanks...

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual?
Thanks Rick but that's not my unit unfortunalty,here is my unit....

3k53pa3o75W45U35S4b86b8576949f49e171d.jpg

3n93mf3o85Z55X35S5b8646bc53d36bef1e81.jpg

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #4  
The unit looks like a modified Troy Bilt Model 47321 CHIPPEWA STYLE Chipper. People referred to them as Tomahawk Shredders. The Model 47321 CHIPPEWA STYLE did not come with a tow attachment. Troy Bilt sold one that had to be added. (Weld-On)

Model 47321 CHIPPEWA STYLE: http://www.partsandservice.com/html/TroyBilt/cs/cs47321.html

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual?
I don't think it's modified(it all looks factory) as i seen another one on Craig's list just like this one,i think it's factory set up with the hitch, very odd here.

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #6  
   / Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #7  
Just picked this unit up i think it's a tomahawk,it's a model 47024 it has a 10 HP Tecumseh engine would like to find a manual for it,i did a google search with out much luck anyone know of one or could help me out?

thanks...

Troybilt/Garden Way did manufacture a Model 47024 (Tomahawk iV) chipper/shredder. I purchased a used one last year with the 10 hp Tecumseh engine (HM100). The previous owned did not have an Owner's Manual, but I did get a Parts Catalog. The parts catalog information can be found at TroyBilt cs Parts Diagram Index for 47024 TOMAHAWK VI

I replaced the engine, with a B&S, and have the old HM100 for parts if anyone is interested. I also want to buy a back-up model 47024 if anyone has one in decent condition where parts can be salvaged.

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #8  
I also have an 024. Its a great machine. I use the chips from pine boughs for horse bedding. Parts (shredder knives, belts and chipper knife) can be had from eBay.

One issue I fixed was the belt tensioner. It was a 1/2" idler pulley, but the motor and chipper drive were 9/16" That caused the belt to have some unusual wear under heavy chipping loads. Also, if you put bigger tires under it, you can chip longer before you have to clear out the bottom exit discharge area. I also use a hose clamp to lock out the belt release lever during startup. Once the motor is running, you release the belt and it spins up. Mine has electric start (but no battery). I just pull the rope handle. If you can remember to turn the key to 'on' first, it starts on one pull. if not (in my case) that would be two pulls.

A fresh, shart chipper knife makes a huge difference. When I throw a 2" limb piece into the shredder area, the neighbors get worried. But, it takes it no sweat.

/ Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #9  
Those are some great ideas to improve performance. I haven't noted a problem with the belt tensioner, or with unusual wear on the belt, even though I have overloaded the engine a few times and caused it to sputter.

I am anxious to try a new chipper blade, as your post is the second time I've read that a new blade will make a noticeable difference. I did purchase one on Ebay from Chalmers Industry, and it arrived in only a couple days. The new blade is noticeably sharper than the old one, which actually didn't seem too bad until I got the new one to compare. I was having some issues requiring me to push hard to get it to take bigger branches. If you have a 47024 with a 10hp engine, you should find that it will take 3" limbs with not a lot of "sweat" either. I am anxious to see if the new blade will speed up my chipping time.

I do have a new concern, my dilemma is that the weld went on the chipper chute. I can't find a new or used one, and hope that the old one can be re-welded without any issues. I will also see if additional braces can be affixed to keep it from ever being a problem again.

Last edited:
   / Troy built chipper/shredder manual? #10  
I just purchased a Troy Built chipper/shredder Model # 47024 w/ Techumsa 10 hp motor & I'm looking for a site to download a owners manual any help?