Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer..

   #1  

JTKub

Veteran Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
1,560
Location
West Falls, NY
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
Anyone else have one? I picked one up from SLowes a couple days ago to replace my ~7yr old, $50 weedeater 'featherlight' (that's still going): http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_92353_18652_-1# Lowes sells them for ~$164, plus I had a $10 off coupon. I've only clocked about 30min on her, but it seems like a nice little machine so far. The little MTD 4-stroke has a totally different mellow sound than your typical 2 stroker. Kinda sounds like a little ATV in your hands. Starts easily, power is good, weight feels the same to me as a 2 cycle, vibs the same. Fuel consumption is amazing as is the no stink exhaust & no smoke! The little OHV engine is kinda neat. It has a little ~3oz oil sump with a thread in dipstick/oil fill/oil drain port. It's got a little valve cover up top that removes with one screw so you can check & adjust valve lash. The instructions for that are right in the ops manual. Carb has a manual choke, primer bulb and an idle speed screw. She's got a big'ol muffler that exits out the bottom/rear with a servicable screen spark arrestor. Only thing I wish it had was a clutch. She's direct drive. For the price I guess you cant complain!

G/luck
Joel
 
   #2  

Fordlords

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
951
Location
Erie, PA
Tractor
Cub Cadet 682
I have got to get a 4 cycle trimmer! I have been using electrics as I cannot stand the smell and gas/oil mixing of 2 stroke trimmers, and have to coil up some 400' of cord to trim all the places I have to get at with the electric.

I was reading Honda's site as they make the little 4 strokes for many of the trimmers, and they have a unique 360 degree mist oiling system. No more oil mixing, no more smell, and no more hard starting and carbon fouled plugs-- that is trimmer innovation! There will be chain saw versions of these engines from various makers soon.

http://www.honda-engines.com/mini.htm

-Fordlords-
 
   #3  

MT372HERE

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
117
JTKub said:
Anyone else have one? I picked one up from SLowes a couple days ago to replace my ~7yr old, $50 weedeater 'featherlight' (that's still going): http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_92353_18652_-1# Lowes sells them for ~$164, plus I had a $10 off coupon. I've only clocked about 30min on her, but it seems like a nice little machine so far. The little MTD 4-stroke has a totally different mellow sound than your typical 2 stroker. Kinda sounds like a little ATV in your hands. Starts easily, power is good, weight feels the same to me as a 2 cycle, vibs the same. Fuel consumption is amazing as is the no stink exhaust & no smoke! The little OHV engine is kinda neat. It has a little ~3oz oil sump with a thread in dipstick/oil fill/oil drain port. It's got a little valve cover up top that removes with one screw so you can check & adjust valve lash. The instructions for that are right in the ops manual. Carb has a manual choke, primer bulb and an idle speed screw. She's got a big'ol muffler that exits out the bottom/rear with a servicable screen spark arrestor. Only thing I wish it had was a clutch. She's direct drive. For the price I guess you cant complain!

G/luck
Joel


Ive got one, actually Ive owned 3. Same as the old 4 stroke Ryobi, identical.

They are okay..I still prefer a nice 25-30cc 2 stroke.

The 4stroke Ive got now is a Ryobi, has the quick-tach split boom, runs a brushcutter with a steel blade, a 20" string trimmer, and at one point, a cultivator.
I dont like it. It vibrates more as it ages, gets very hard to start, and WILL burn oil eventually. The valves are always out of adjustment it seems. The covers will tend to seep oil over the head, meaning it smokes all over your side.
Mine has the clutch, and as I got some hours on the engine, it got harder to idle at a speed low enough to stall to clutch.

They are still young yet, and arent anywhere near perfected. In 5 years we will be seeing larger displacements, better cooling, better valves, counter balancing, and less weight...

4 strokes are the wave of the future though.

Yours should serve you faithfully, but id hang onto the reciept, I know alot of people that took theirs bakc within the first month.
 
   #4  

MT372HERE

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
117
Fordlords said:
I have got to get a 4 cycle trimmer! I have been using electrics as I cannot stand the smell and gas/oil mixing of 2 stroke trimmers, and have to coil up some 400' of cord to trim all the places I have to get at with the electric.

I was reading Honda's site as they make the little 4 strokes for many of the trimmers, and they have a unique 360 degree mist oiling system. No more oil mixing, no more smell, and no more hard starting and carbon fouled plugs-- that is trimmer innovation! There will be chain saw versions of these engines from various makers soon.

http://www.honda-engines.com/mini.htm

-Fordlords-

Wouldnt count on a 4 stroke chainsaw anytime soon. 2 Strokes still turn faster, and are low maintainance. Lighter and simpler. They last ALOT longer too.
 
   #5  

vetteman

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2004
Messages
133
Location
Western New York
Tractor
Kubota 4310
We bought a 2 cycle one from Lowes last year the motor set up after about 1 hr. We took it back got a new one and my wife was using it this year and on the 3rd tank of gas this one set up , and yes I mixed the gas and oil right . We took the power unit back again , along with the extendable chain saw , edger which was never used, weed wacker and the brush cutter which also was never used. Got a full refund . I happened to be at Holland Hardware, as I live in West Falls NY they had the exact same thing in 4 cycle so I bought that thought we would try it. We are on our 2nd tank of gas and still working. Now we just have to buy the attachments back.
 
   #6  

Fordlords

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
951
Location
Erie, PA
Tractor
Cub Cadet 682
Trimmers with the Honda mini GX are just coming on to the market now- it is not and has nothing to do with any engine manufactured by Ryobi, and a trimmer with the Honda 4 stroke will be one I will be in the market for. I will bank that they will have the smoothness and reliability people want on a trimmer.

The chain saw testing I read in a press release- the mini GX'es produce all the power and RPM's along with 360 degree running capabilites needed in a chain saw. With EPA emissions requirements becoming more strict on all gasoline powered equipment, look for it to come more sooner than later. :)

More cool small engine bed time reading for you:

http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/igx440.htm

-Fordlords-
 
   #7  

MT372HERE

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
117
Fordlords said:
Trimmers with the Honda mini GX are just coming on to the market now- it is not and has nothing to do with any engine manufactured by Ryobi, and a trimmer with the Honda 4 stroke will be one I will be in the market for. I will bank that they will have the smoothness and reliability people want on a trimmer.

The chain saw testing I read in a press release- the mini GX'es produce all the power and RPM's along with 360 degree running capabilites needed in a chain saw. With EPA emissions requirements becoming more strict on all gasoline powered equipment, look for it to come more sooner than later. :)

More cool small engine bed time reading for you:

http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/igx440.htm

-Fordlords-

Ill stick with a 2 stroke in my trimmer, and Chainsaw...4 strokes are nice, but are better suited for push mowers and riders.

Ive had my little 2 stroke weedeater for a long time now, and Ive never had any trouble with it. Its a 23cc Ryobi professional. Its an Echo Clone. Cranks on the first pull, every time, idles like a dreak, cuts through the thickest wet weeds.

4 stroke is just more parts to break. Keep it simple, 2 Strokes.

obtw- Ill never own anything else Honda. Got a HR194 push mower, and that is a true junker. Its so finicky.

Only thing I like that is Honda is my Pressure washer. 5hp GC160.
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#8  
OP
JTKub

JTKub

Veteran Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
1,560
Location
West Falls, NY
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
Fordlords said:
..I was reading Honda's site as they make the little 4 strokes for many of the trimmers..

Man I would have loved to be able to justify one of those! If you can justify the cost, you can bet they are the best you can get. I was checking out the honda trimmers while I was at the honda dealer ordering a part for my HRS216 push mower. They are definately top of the line as far as 4-stroke string trimmers go (they dont even make a 2-stroke). Just not wise for me to pop ~$400+ towards one for my needs.

G/luck
Joel
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#9  
OP
JTKub

JTKub

Veteran Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
1,560
Location
West Falls, NY
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
MT372HERE said:
... 2 Strokes still turn faster, and are low maintainance. Lighter and simpler. They last ALOT longer too.

With today's technology yes. Give them some time and they will far surpass a 2 cycle.

Joel
 
   #10  

Fordlords

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
951
Location
Erie, PA
Tractor
Cub Cadet 682
For those who like Honda engines (I know some don't- not a rah-rah Honda post) as Honda has stopped making lawn and garden tractors they opted to become an engine supplier to the major L/G tractor and yard equipment makers, much in the same way Kawasaki did. This will ultimately bring the cost of Honda powered equipment way down, and Honda is already going all out in developing new technologies for this market. The new iGX engines will automatically adjust engine throttle settings based on engine load to conserve gas.

Honda engines are already avaliable on L/G tractors in Canada (First taker was AYP/Craftsman LOL) but they have to be emissions certified in the USA yet, I believe I read the first L/G tractors that will have Honda power here will be upper end (non-MTD) Toros. It just puts another ball to toss around in the market. Hopefully they will stick to one line of engines, and not opt for the, "Here is our premium line of engines, and here are our economy ones," like Briggs and Kohler have done which really confuses the consumer.

-Fordlords-
 
 
Top