Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer..

/ Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer..
Volfandt said:
.....this thread seems to teeter back and forth between 4 cycle trimmers and other 4 cycle engine apps :D

Volfandt

Hehehee.. Too bad it's not a kohler K series power head on my weed trimmer. It would have fit better into this thread!

Joel

/ Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer.. #22  
I e-mailed TBN and asked if we can have a small engine forum. It might stop some of us (mostly me at guilt) from going off on the tangents :)

-Fordlords-

/ Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer..
Well guys, a little 'year later' update for you. The troy-bilt 4-stroke trimmer is no longer. I should have asked before I bought it last year! I took it back to Lowes and exchanged it for another make/model. Each time I used the Troy-Bilt trimmer, the more I disliked it. I hated the 'quick change' string head, where you force feed a pre-cut pc of line in there, I hated the direct-drive (no centrifugal clutch) 'feature', the weight and vibration were a bear and the unit was a pita to start. I think most of the starting difficulty was my doing though. If the unit was not stored properly, engine oil would seep from the sump into the combustion chamber, soak the sparkplug and load the muffler. This lead to hard starting and a HUGE blue cloud. It also had this weird zip start clock spring type of recoil start. I go so fed up, I tossed it back in the box (had it up in my garage loft), grabbed the receipt and went back to Lowes. I thought they would give me more of a hassle since their OPE return policy is 30 days. Almost 13mo later and they didn't even bat an eye! The woman commented she was surprised I still had the receipt. They were so good about it, I figured I buy another trimmer from them. I went with a Husqvarna 125L. I used it for about 30min today. Very nice. Smooth, powerful, real snappy throttle response and LIGHT! I love the clutch and ease of starting. I didn't notice any smoke or smelly exhaust from it either @ 50:1. From reading the literature, I discovered it has a catalytic converter buit into the muffler. No idea these were on 2-strokes. The Husqvarna was $199 as opposed to the ~$150 troy-bilt. No more 4-stroke trimmers for me unless it's a Honda or better. Live and learn!

Joel

/ Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer.. #24  
   / Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer.. #25  
Not to try and dig up an old thread. I have one that was given to me. Mine does the oil leak thing. Not dead yet i have had it since 2006 or so and used it on and off, i have a used ECHO no as well. The oly problem is that the whole end that holds the string head is loose the set screw is stripped out so it swivels around and after falling off i taped it back on the shaft with electric tape. Hat e the direct drive as well, cant set it down to scrach your arm wipe sweat without it cutting out, unless you lay it down, dosent idle well untill warm, and hate the precut line thing on the head, i make my own but still a pain, i know that can be changed though.

/ Troybilt 4-cycle trimmer.. #26  
I also have a troy built 4cycle trimmer its hard to start now will not develope full power and has less the 1 hour on it going to the dump today good place for it as for Honda power I have a new craftsman lawn mower honda powered another beast to start I gave up on it the best starting engine I own is a Hyundai water pump starts every time 2nd pull I seem to buy all the duds