Truck and Horse trailer questions

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
Since the horsetrailer.net site is very sparse in active members it seems it would be best to ask here.

We are not quite in the market yet for a new truck but we have been exploring options to upgrade our current 4 horse trailer (2003 Keifer Genesis x440) weekender package. It consists only of a box boot, closest, cabinets on the 4' short wall and the rooftop a/c, heater combo. I have never had it weighed but I would assume empty weight on it is around 6800lbs or so. We would like to move up to a 4 horse with living quarters that would sleep 4,2 in the nose and either a couch and dinette or bunks with the bunks being preferred.

We use a 2015 chevy 2500hd crew cab short bed gas to pull it now. The trucks weigh is roughly 7000lbs with fuel, passengers and supplies. The GVWR is 20500 which leaves the towing capacity for a gooseneck at 13500lbs.

Most of the trailers we have looked at weigh around 9000lbs that would have what we want. 4,500lbs doesnt seem like much to work with when dealing with 4 horses, hay, water and supplies. So we started looking at specs for trucks and even going diesel with a 2500 isnt much of an improvement in towing capacity. We would prefer not to get a dually 3500 because we do use the truck a few times a week to drive into the city.

My wife is strictly chevy or gmc (her horses, her truck). I only just recently started looking at what RAM has to offer and for the equivalent RAM has to Chevy (2500 crew cab 4x4 shortbed), the RAMs towing capacity for gooseneck is 16300 if i remember correctly. Personally I like the new look of RAM compared to any other trucks out there right now. Chevy would be next. Ram also seem to be quite a bit lower in price.

What are your guys experience towing with a new RAM 2500 crew/mega cab vs new chevy equivalent? How heavy of a trailer with the gooseneck? Hills or strictly flat? We drive both about an equal amount of time. I would like to guess if we got the trailer we wanted, it would weigh close to 15000lbs fully loaded.

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions #2  
Since the horsetrailer.net site is very sparse in active members it seems it would be best to ask here.

We are not quite in the market yet for a new truck but we have been exploring options to upgrade our current 4 horse trailer (2003 Keifer Genesis x440) weekender package. It consists only of a box boot, closest, cabinets on the 4' short wall and the rooftop a/c, heater combo. I have never had it weighed but I would assume empty weight on it is around 6800lbs or so. We would like to move up to a 4 horse with living quarters that would sleep 4,2 in the nose and either a couch and dinette or bunks with the bunks being preferred.

We use a 2015 chevy 2500hd crew cab short bed gas to pull it now. The trucks weigh is roughly 7000lbs with fuel, passengers and supplies. The GVWR is 20500 which leaves the towing capacity for a gooseneck at 13500lbs.

Most of the trailers we have looked at weigh around 9000lbs that would have what we want. 4,500lbs doesnt seem like much to work with when dealing with 4 horses, hay, water and supplies. So we started looking at specs for trucks and even going diesel with a 2500 isnt much of an improvement in towing capacity. We would prefer not to get a dually 3500 because we do use the truck a few times a week to drive into the city.

My wife is strictly chevy or gmc (her horses, her truck). I only just recently started looking at what RAM has to offer and for the equivalent RAM has to Chevy (2500 crew cab 4x4 shortbed), the RAMs towing capacity for gooseneck is 16300 if i remember correctly. Personally I like the new look of RAM compared to any other trucks out there right now. Chevy would be next. Ram also seem to be quite a bit lower in price.

What are your guys experience towing with a new RAM 2500 crew/mega cab vs new chevy equivalent? How heavy of a trailer with the gooseneck? Hills or strictly flat? We drive both about an equal amount of time. I would like to guess if we got the trailer we wanted, it would weigh close to 15000lbs fully loaded.

If I were buying new, I would go with a ram 3500 single rear wheel because you can get the Aisin transmission behind the Cummins.

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions
I would prefer to stay with gas for cost reasons if I look at new. If I were to find a nice used diesel, then I would consider it.

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions #4  
I would prefer to stay with gas for cost reasons if I look at new. If I were to find a nice used diesel, then I would consider it.

IMG_6850.JPG
We bought this 18 Ram used for 39k with 16k miles. Leather, 4wd, Cummins. Pulls our 3 horse loaded fine. Also pulls my gooseneck with tractor and implement, which weighs around 9k lbs not counting trailer, fine. I would recommend a diesel for your weights strictly based on power and efficiency, not to mention durability. We have 48k miles on ours now, good truck, no complaints.

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions #5  

I have a Lakota 8315 (3 horse, 15 ft living) empty weight is 10500 with horses, feed, tack, clothes, water, etc 14300. I use a Dodge 3500 C&C DRW, 6.7 w/aisin and my next tow vehicle will be a 45 or 5500 (preferably with air ride). I want something with better braking because Ive been in a couple spots where the trailer pushed the truck more than I want to be comfortable with.
Our friends have a Lakota LQ w/bunks and a 16 ft. Livestock area. They use a Ford 350 SRW and every time he hitches up I shake my head in disbelief watching the truck squat down on the overloads.
I was at an event last weekend and the 4 Horse LQs were hitched to 450s and 3 of them had Freightliner M2s :eek: Maybe you could buy the trailer then take the horses out on the new truck test drives? A LQ trailer definitely pulls and feels different than an equipment trailer.
Ive been to Otter Creek, any other great places around there?

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions #6  
bazman82
My wife is strictly chevy or gmc (her horses, her truck). I only just recently started looking at what RAM has to offer

If I were in your shoes I would be looking at "strictly chevy or gmc"

/ Truck and Horse trailer questions #7  
In light duty trucks, the towing capacity is limited by the chassis not the engine. That is why the ratings you saw did not change much.
To get a gross combination weight over 20k pounds, you would need to step up to medium duty trucks.
It sounds like the trailer you are considering would be pushing the limit of a light duty truck in real world use.

Of course every day I see people hauling multiple cars around with light duty trucks. The car haulers baffle me because those guys are subject to DOT and weigh stations.

You mentioned not wanting dual rear wheels. You need to look at the maximum pin weight a single wheel truck can carry then find a trailer that is under that while loaded.

Toy hauler type trailers(living quarter in front and garage in back) are pin heavy compared to standard RV. I would assume the horse trailer is similar.

bazman82

If I were in your shoes I would be looking at "strictly chevy or gmc"

Hah, well her uncle and cousins have older rams. I dont hear many issues from them but I know I am not entirely brand specific. I have been talking Ram to her lately and she hasnt completely shaken it off yet. If i mention ford though...oh man, all bets are off and the search for a new truck will end there :( ...

I actually just went to look at a 2018 Diesel with 27k miles on it but they "sold it" yesterday. Deal isnt finalized so i may hear back from the dealership. 41,900 is their price on it. As far as living quarters go, I dont think ill be getting something bigger than a 10' short wall. I believe the heaviest trailer I found that I liked was 10500lbs empty but I found plenty under 10k lbs that would work as well. Our truck barely squats with our trailer on the back. We didnt do any added suspension either. When we purchased the truck, it had the snow plow package because we were told it had the heavier suspension already there. I know when I buy cow feed, I'll put 2k lbs back there and it just about levels the truck out, no squatting.

In light duty trucks, the towing capacity is limited by the chassis not the engine. That is why the ratings you saw did not change much.
To get a gross combination weight over 20k pounds, you would need to step up to medium duty trucks.
It sounds like the trailer you are considering would be pushing the limit of a light duty truck in real world use.

Of course every day I see people hauling multiple cars around with light duty trucks. The car haulers baffle me because those guys are subject to DOT and weigh stations.

You mentioned not wanting dual rear wheels. You need to look at the maximum pin weight a single wheel truck can carry then find a trailer that is under that while loaded.

Toy hauler type trailers(living quarter in front and garage in back) are pin heavy compared to standard RV. I would assume the horse trailer is similar.

By pin weight, you mean the weight at the ball in the bed of the truck from the trailer?