Truck bed extender legality

/ Truck bed extender legality #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I was wanting to make a truck bed extender that goes in the hitch like this

But what are the actual legal requirements.

Like anytime you leave a lumber yard with PVC or boards longer than the truck, they get flagged.

So is there a law or something that specifies a given distance or something?

I never see bike racks or cooler carriers that go in the insert get red flags.

Anyone know?

Last edited:
   / Truck bed extender legality #4  
As Thomas said... I would check your local state regulations...

But from the WEB:
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) require any commercial motor vehicle (CMV) transporting a load that extends more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the vehicle to be marked with a single red or orange fluorescent warning flag at the extreme rear if the projecting load is 2 feet wide or less, and two warning flags if the projecting load is wider than 2 feet. The flags must be located to indicate the maximum width of loads which extend beyond the sides and/or rear of the vehicle.

/ Truck bed extender legality
put a flag on it, and don't worry about it.

Thanks for your useless reply.
Our state allow 4' beyond tailgate than must be flag...may want to check your state rules.

As Thomas said... I would check your local state regulations...

But from the WEB:
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) require any commercial motor vehicle (CMV) transporting a load that extends more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the vehicle to be marked with a single red or orange fluorescent warning flag at the extreme rear if the projecting load is 2 feet wide or less, and two warning flags if the projecting load is wider than 2 feet. The flags must be located to indicate the maximum width of loads which extend beyond the sides and/or rear of the vehicle.

Upon a little further digging, I did find the same thing for my state.

The scenario I have is very odd and unique.

We have a local farm festival which includes a horticulture show. 40 or so categories like heaviest tomato, potato, sweet potato, etc etc. Longest ear of corn, cornstalk, tallest marestail, tallest giant ragweed, tallest thistle, etc etc.

So some of these plants like cornstalks and ragweed that I enter get ~14' tall or more. They are quite delicate and NOT something I want to red-flag. So I was asking for the distance that DOESNT require the flag to see if I can just keep the bed-extender inside that dimension if it will work for my needs and have no worry about flagging.

If it works, it keeps me from having to drag a trailer to the festival just hauling a couple cornstalks and a couple ragweeds....lol

/ Truck bed extender legality #7  
I was wanting to make a truck bed extender that goes in the hitch like this

If you make one like that, don't make it like that.

Make it like this to avoid scraping at every little dip or driveway.

extender.jpg

Bruce

/ Truck bed extender legality #9  
put a flag on it, and don't worry about it.
He is not wrong. First you truck most likely is not a commercial truck. Second the product is an ag product and most officers are not going to stop ag production.

My question is how do you transport you plants with out any wind damage?

If you are super worried about it build the carrier so that is taller and your plants can be carried over top of the cab and stop at the 4 foot over hang past the tailgate.

/ Truck bed extender legality
He is not wrong. First you truck most likely is not a commercial truck. Second the product is an ag product and most officers are not going to stop ag production.

My question is how do you transport you plants with out any wind damage?

If you are super worried about it build the carrier so that is taller and your plants can be carried over top of the cab and stop at the 4 foot over hang past the tailgate.
I never said he was wrong. I simply said his reply was useless, which it was.

And First, my truck IS a commercial truck with a 9.5' flatbed. Second, this is a recreational festival, so I doubt it would even classify as ag related, and nothing else I do is ag related as I am not a farmer. But we all know what they say about assumptions...

As to wind damage.....I usually wrap the tops with some seran wrap and tape.

And finally, I am not "super worried" about it. I can simply hook to the trailer like I have done every year in the past. I just figured I ask what the requirements were for flag/no flag to see if it was a viable option to make something without dragging the trailer. I got my answer.....4' behind the truck (y)