Truck bed extender legality

/ Truck bed extender legality #61  
   / Truck bed extender legality
Another option is to just use the trailer you haul your tractor on. I would use my 16' cargo trailer.
Trying to maneuver a 25' gooseneck trailer in and out of a crowded park is what I was trying to avoid.

I used it yesterday for its intended purpose. And it didnt disappoint.

I can see myself using it in the future to haul small amounts of lumber and even lengths of pipe for drainage jobs where its a little overkill to drag around a dual-tandem gooseneck trailer

/ Truck bed extender legality #63  
This doesn't answer your question but FWIW, my father in law used to take his cornstalks to the county fair tall crop competition using one of those hitch mount extenders on his pickup. He tacked a flag to the end of a 16' 2x4 and tied it to the end of the extender. He then used the 2x4 to support the cornstalks by tying them up with ribbon.

/ Truck bed extender legality #64  
Thanks for your useless reply.

Upon a little further digging, I did find the same thing for my state.

The scenario I have is very odd and unique.

We have a local farm festival which includes a horticulture show. 40 or so categories like heaviest tomato, potato, sweet potato, etc etc. Longest ear of corn, cornstalk, tallest marestail, tallest giant ragweed, tallest thistle, etc etc.

So some of these plants like cornstalks and ragweed that I enter get ~14' tall or more. They are quite delicate and NOT something I want to red-flag. So I was asking for the distance that DOESNT require the flag to see if I can just keep the bed-extender inside that dimension if it will work for my needs and have no worry about flagging.

If it works, it keeps me from having to drag a trailer to the festival just hauling a couple cornstalks and a couple ragweeds....lol
What about getting a long PVC pipe. Put the stalks etc. in the pipe and attach the flag to the pipe. Might not even need the extender then.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
What about getting a long PVC pipe. Put the stalks etc. in the pipe and attach the flag to the pipe. Might not even need the extender then.
Thats actually not a bad Idea for the things like cornstalks and marestail. But I worry about ragweed and bull thistle breaking things off getting them in.

And I'd need a TON of pipes.

The festival is over now... but I hauled down 6 ragweed, 3 marestail, 6 cornstalks, 3 bull thistle, 1 other thistle.
1st place ~10' marestail, 1st place ~14'4" other thistle, 3rd place on ragweed ~14'6", 3rd on cornstalk ~13'6", and 3rd on bull thistle ~12'.

Hoping for some 17' cornstalks next year. Got several the first year I planted goliath silage corn. But the past two years I have saved seed cause its open pollenated and have only got to the 13' ballpark

/ Truck bed extender legality #66  
LD1, glad you got your extender fabbed up in no time. As a side note, I am still sneezing just thinking about that big ragweed:)

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Truck bed extender legality #68  
I DIY'd a cargo extender to haul my fuel with my SUV for my CUT. (hate spilled fuel smell in the SUV)

Made it to exactly fit 4ea 5 gal containers.
Painted visibility stripes on it and attachment points for binders.
Lucky in that my 'tags' are high enough to be visible above the loaded extender so I guess I'm all legal since I don't extend but a tad over 20 inches. (Hope the extended rule is same in my jurisdiction)

Blessed to DIY weld and have a good reserve of steel.

/ Truck bed extender legality #69  
Blessed to DIY weld and have a good reserve of steel.

Yes. Yes it is. There are very few things as satisfying as cutting up steel pieces from you own stock and welding up something useful that you wanted. And then having it work out just like you planned. Satisfying indeed.

It is definitely satisfying
Yes. Yes it is. There are very few things as satisfying as cutting up steel pieces from you own stock and welding up something useful that you wanted. And then having it work out just like you planned. Satisfying indeed.