Truck Gin Pole tube size

/ Truck Gin Pole tube size #1  

davo727

Silver Member
Hi, Gonna start on a pole barn in a few weeks so Im going to build a 20 foot gin pole A-frame hoist for the back of my 85 chevy ex-military K30 4x4. I will need to lift 600 pound poles. I would like to be able to lift 900 or 1000lbs. Im thinking round 4 inch dia .120 wall thickness, And then weld a 3/16 thick by 2.5in strap lengthwise along the top of each of the 20 foot tubes to add more resistance to bowing. Will have some cross bars between the poles too.

Will use a 12V winch mounted in the truck bed , cable and pulley over the top, Gin pole hung from the truck with chains. Truck will handle it fine, it is a diesel 5/4 ton former airforce truck, 14 bolt full floater rear and dana 60 front and its a heavy Biotch!!

What do you guys think about the gin pole size? Trying to get the needed strength without the Pole A frame weighing a thousand pounds. Will also use this rig for installing the roof trusses.

Thanks, Dave

/ Truck Gin Pole tube size #2  
Gin poles used to be quite common. If'n I remember correctly most that I saw were plain three inch schedule 40 pipe with no flanges or cross braces??

Note: The site's I worked on will no longer allow gin poles to be used. Also note that they may come into contact with overhead power lines.:D

/ Truck Gin Pole tube size #3  
my son made his out of some oil well tubing about 3" in diameter, his are not 20 feet, more like 10' to 12', but has a custom made hydraulic winch and has lifted 4 to 5000 pounds with it, not recommended IMO, but he has done it, his is on a 1 ton ford about a 1999 year, he has some chains for support on the jin poles.

/ Truck Gin Pole tube size #4  
hurm, 3" drill pipe should do, the weight bearing components will be the lateral support/stop cables and their mount points. Forward fold down height requirements (behind cab frame length) will determine gin A-frame dimension possibilities. Electric winch = do-not-get-near-lift...

strapping will reinforce any extended boom.

Do not forget to add the full width roller to have a true oil field rig. A steel plate bed is a must...

lol, last one I drove had no freekin brakes, kind guy always said, Do Not Tailgate !!! jeesh, whatta rub...

/ Truck Gin Pole tube size
Hi Guys, Forward fold down not an issue. Off road truck on my 8.5 acres only. I have 2 other road trucks. (old ones but good ones)

Actually thinking about adding a third pipe above the other two and weld up a triangulated boom. It would be great to have 2 lift pulleys- One at the end of the boom for high lifts and another about 8 feet from the truck with a much higher lift capacity to allow me to use it with a sling or straps to unload pallets or heavy items from a trailer or truck. 2500lb pallet of blocks :)

Also going to weld up a flat work platform above the hood-folding for access and over the roof of the truck to stand on and work on my building.

Heres a pic I found of a triangulated boom on a semi- I like it!

A few hundred dollars in steel and $350 for a winch and im good to go. Since I cant afford to buy an all terain forklift and cant be renting one all the times I will need it, the old K30 4x4 with homemade crane should be the ticket.

Attachments

• a-frame_crane1_20080914_1982561990.jpg
    a-frame_crane1_20080914_1982561990.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 4,395
   / Truck Gin Pole tube size #7  
ok, be safe, think in advance ! oil is still needed...

info links:
Early 30s Gin Pole Scammells. NOW I see how it all works says Biglorryblog... (BigLorryBlog)
Kos Oilfield Transportation - Glossary
Oilfield Glossary: Term 'gin pole'
Winch Truck, Used Winch Truck, Winch Truck For Sale at TruckPaper.com

to give actual schematics of design is not practical from here, tolerances and dimensional requirements are unknown and cannot be given as safe suggestions. the idea is practical, but design must exceed your practical limits, for safety...

new Gin Trucks, yes sir... see pix... notice the gin A-frame is supported from the "HeadAche RacK"

Good Luck
Be Safe
Rhett

Attachments

• Earthmovers Inc, P4527_402cropped_mod.JPG
    Earthmovers Inc, P4527_402cropped_mod.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,833
  • Earthmovers Inc, P4527_422_mod.JPG
    Earthmovers Inc, P4527_422_mod.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 7,518
  • cl_gp_truck.jpg
    cl_gp_truck.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 3,116
  • cl_gp_truck_down.jpg
    cl_gp_truck_down.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,760
   / Truck Gin Pole tube size #8  
Actually thinking about adding a third pipe above the other two and weld up a triangulated boom. It would be great to have 2 lift pulleys- One at the end of the boom for high lifts and another about 8 feet from the truck with a much higher lift capacity to allow me to use it with a sling or straps to unload pallets or heavy items from a trailer or truck. 2500lb pallet of blocks :)

Just for thoughts: Could you have the pulley on a trolley under the boom. Then you could have your choice of pulley position depending on weight handled. It would also allow horizontal movement of load without moving the truck. :D

/ Truck Gin Pole tube size #9  
I have long poles in my home and was amazed how the contractor set them.
One in the center of the house (basement floor to 1.5 story roof about 30') was set using the pole delivery truck. The driver used a second pole as the jin pole using the self-loader on the truck-chained 2/3 up the height of the pole being set-took 20 minutes and cost me a case of beer for the effort.
5 additional poles supporting my deck and back face of roof were set by the truss delivery crane at a cost of one hour truck time-and cost $150 extra. I was amazed the truck crane had the reach clear over the framed walls and was guided by my contractor since the operator was working blind. Each pole was braced in place and even roped off until the got secured at the base ant to the trusses.
Perhaps a days pay to a log-truck driver or a truss company would be a good investment.

Hi, Thanks and I see where you are coming from but I will be building the polebarn based shop first and then a small house and I foresee so many things that a hoist truck will allow me to do, that I simply must have one :) I cant stand the idea of having to call someone in everytime I want to pick something up. Dave