truck plow on a BX

/ truck plow on a BX #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
I am in a process of converting a old, beat up truck plow that needs alot of work to my BX. Last winter I was able to obtain a free truck plow from my uncle. I needed to use it right away so I made a quick modification. I took the A frame off the plow and pinned the plow straight to the fel arms after removing the bucket. This worked for the winter, but it acted like a dozer blade. I had to be extra careful with the lawn, couldn't use float over lawn area, only on blacktop. After a couple lawn scalping, I vowed I would make it better this summer. So Basically I did. First step was put the A frame back on and modify it so I could use the trip springs and angle it. These pictures are the "before" pics before modifications that is acting like a dozer blade last winter. Basically I am looking for advice here on my welding skills and metal fabrication. I do not have much to work with, just a simple hobart ez handler wire feed and a handheld grinder, sears battery operated reciprocating saw for cutting metal. I plan on using silver and deming drill bits from harbor freight for drilling my large holes for pinning.

Attachments

• bx24 plow.jpg
    bx24 plow.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 1,151
  • front view plow.jpg
    front view plow.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 816
   / truck plow on a BX #2  
I fabed a 84" meyer plow to the front of my JD3720. I still have the angle function. Your BX is going to have a difficult time in wet or deep snow due to the size of the blade. Give it a try. you may have to cut the blade narrower. Still beats a shovel!

/ truck plow on a BX #3  
I say look at the bright side .... If your local snowfalls turn out to be too much, its not a big deal to "shorten" the blade!

/ truck plow on a BX #4  
I would agree with the previous poster's,most likly will be to much to handle in wet snow.ON my Bx I made the kubota blade larger 68" and in 6" of wet snow it will push you sideways if you have the blade turned to either side. With dry snow No problem it will move plenty of snow.

/ truck plow on a BX #5  
modified a truck plow for my brother in law on his bx 24 but I welded bar stock into the back of the bucket vertically and placed the pin holes high enough so he had 4'' of float on the snowblade with 2'' of clearance under the buckets front edge when lowered, he rolls the bucket back to raise and lower the plow and there is still enough room to angle the blade he has used it for one winter so far no problems (keep in mind my brother in law can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet) if I catch him at home I will get some pictures for you

/ truck plow on a BX
Here is what I have done so far for fabbing. Took the A frame, cut all the unnesscary parts off. I was quite surprised aboutr how much wieght i saved doing it like that. I also shorten the back of the A frame so its nearly a foot shorter. I realized due to the single acting cylinders were shot , I didnt want to cut it too short in case I can't find a shorter double acting cyclinders.

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 429
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 409
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 329
   / truck plow on a BX #7  
I am interested on how this works out. I had a snow plow from a state plow truck it was so big and so heavy that it just was a pain to use, plus it had no float mechanism in the blade mount it utilized all 3 mounting locations on the tractor and even though it kept the A frame for angle it felt more like a dozer blade. I scrapped the entire unit last year and looking for a new idea.

I would like to get my hands on a used Fisher homesteader mold board. I think that would be the perfect plow for setting up on the BX,

Radioman, how do you plan on allowing the front of the plow to pivot and follow the ground. I was thinking of using the Curtis Snow plow idea.

Curtis%20Snow%20Plow.jpg

/ truck plow on a BX
Just2quickz28 - the plow I am using is a very, very old meyers plow, very simalar to curtis plow. Some of you feel its too heavy, I feel its very light compared to the fisher plow like you wanted. My father has a fisher plow and it way too heavy for me. The old meyers plow, I can actually lift one corner of the plow whereas my fathers fishers plow is way too heavy for me to lift. He mounted his plow on the 3 pt arms in the back and made it straight. he doesn't care if it doesnt angle. I do. Anyway, I don't want to remove the curl piston. The chain only locks the blade in one position, although it allows it to bounce up if it hits something. The way I plow the snow before with a poorman's wooden snowpusher, I curl the bucket going up at the top downwards and then curl right up to push the snow onto the other side of the pile. This allows me to pack more snow in the same space without switching to bucket and dig it out and move it back more. I beleive that the trip springs on the truck plow will be enough to prevent too much damage to lawn and save BX from jolting.

/ truck plow on a BX #9