Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm planning/thinking long term on what I need to buy. I'm in the process of buying my late brothers farm that's 60 miles away from my place. The two main reasons I'm doing this is that I believe it will significantly increase in value over time, and while I'm waiting to sell it, I want to make it a hay farm so I'm not dependent on finding people to buy hay from every year.

I need something to haul my tractors there, and then to haul hay back here.

My backhoe weighs 14,000 pounds. I'll only need it there to clear mesquite. I might leave it there for awhile, so there is the option of hiring somebody to haul it there, then haul it back when I'm done. I might also rent something local and have it delivered, but I'm not excited about that option.

My 70hp cab tractor weighs 9,000 pounds

My 65hp open station tractor weighs 5,000 pounds

So far I don't have any haying equipment, but whatever I buy, it will be a small round baler that I have enough power to run.

The 26,000 pound weight limit is something I want to stay under so I don't have to get a commercial drivers license. I had a Class A when I lived in California and I don't want to do that again.

My original plan was to find an older 3500 Ram diesel with a flatbed trailer, but the truck and trailer GVWR is way too high. Now I'm wondering if I should look at a 3/4 ton truck? and should I consider gas instead of diesel? Towing would be pretty straight each way. 45 minutes on Interstate 20, and 15 minutes on two Country Roads that's all flat land driving. It's not something I'll do every day, and probably just once a month except when haying and hauling hay two or 3 times a year depending on how much rain we get.

The less I spend the better, but it needs to be reliable. I'm nervous about a diesel truck with DEF. I'm also nervous about so many used diesels that have been Deleted. And I wonder if there is enough power with a gas engine? Finally, I'm hesitant to buy anything with single rear wheels. I'm sure they are capable, and I'm probably just worried about nothing, but I have it in my head that a dually is a must for towing heavy loads. Am I wrong? Am I dealing with enough weight to require dual rear wheels?

Since I'll be off pavement when on my farm and my brothers farm, I think that I need 4wheel drive. I don't need or really want 4 doors, or even the extra cab. I think that I'll save weight with a 2 door, single cab truck. I've been trying to find GVWR on different models of trucks, but they seem to be pretty generic in what I've found so far. Is there a lower GVWR on a single cab truck over a 4 door truck that can still haul a 14,000 pound backhoe?

Thank you

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #2  
Eddie,

Have you checked into the CDL agricultural exemption applicable in your state?

I have a Ford LN7000 dump truck at a GVR of 28,500# normally requiring a CDL however with a WA. State AG exemption I can operate without a CDL within a 25 mile radius of my farm ( 25 is the WA limit- the Fed limit is 150 iirc). I use my truck to haul and dump gravels, topsoils, compost, etc. on the property and could use it to tow my Case 580 if I needed to.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #3  
I'm planning/thinking long term on what I need to buy. I'm in the process of buying my late brothers farm that's 60 miles away from my place. The two main reasons I'm doing this is that I believe it will significantly increase in value over time, and while I'm waiting to sell it, I want to make it a hay farm so I'm not dependent on finding people to buy hay from every year.

I need something to haul my tractors there, and then to haul hay back here.

My backhoe weighs 14,000 pounds. I'll only need it there to clear mesquite. I might leave it there for awhile, so there is the option of hiring somebody to haul it there, then haul it back when I'm done. I might also rent something local and have it delivered, but I'm not excited about that option.

My 70hp cab tractor weighs 9,000 pounds

My 65hp open station tractor weighs 5,000 pounds

So far I don't have any haying equipment, but whatever I buy, it will be a small round baler that I have enough power to run.

The 26,000 pound weight limit is something I want to stay under so I don't have to get a commercial drivers license. I had a Class A when I lived in California and I don't want to do that again.

My original plan was to find an older 3500 Ram diesel with a flatbed trailer, but the truck and trailer GVWR is way too high. Now I'm wondering if I should look at a 3/4 ton truck? and should I consider gas instead of diesel? Towing would be pretty straight each way. 45 minutes on Interstate 20, and 15 minutes on two Country Roads that's all flat land driving. It's not something I'll do every day, and probably just once a month except when haying and hauling hay two or 3 times a year depending on how much rain we get.

The less I spend the better, but it needs to be reliable. I'm nervous about a diesel truck with DEF. I'm also nervous about so many used diesels that have been Deleted. And I wonder if there is enough power with a gas engine? Finally, I'm hesitant to buy anything with single rear wheels. I'm sure they are capable, and I'm probably just worried about nothing, but I have it in my head that a dually is a must for towing heavy loads. Am I wrong? Am I dealing with enough weight to require dual rear wheels?

Thank you

edit
We hauled my 550 with a 2015 2500 SRW Hemi Ram.

Have a 3500 with Cummins but at the time was only set up for my 10k fifth wheel tilt utility trailer which was to narrow at 83 inches backhoe front wheels are 90"+ and not rated for over a 10K load. So not up to the backhoe job.
I thought it towed it really, really well. The gooseneck trailer has G rated tires. Thinking we were right at the 26K gross rating and registration.
We had a few hills on the drive but no real long high percentage grades. The gas truck and trailer has been used for years hauling hay every year as well.

Hay hauled every year on this trailer.

Earlier 2012 White 2500 RAM diesel (which developed transmission shifting issues forced a buy-back over the issue.)
The 2015 is also an auto and the whole truck has been solid, no problems.

Same well used trailer also hauls a T250 Bobcat.

Hay is hauled about 90 miles one way, but multiple trips.

Attachments

• 20121121_140353.jpg
    20121121_140353.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 601

Attachments

• 2015 RAM haulling the 550 Ford.jpg
    2015 RAM haulling the 550 Ford.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 255
Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #4  
Eddie,

For your described uses a gas engine is a better fit and should be fine on your flat ground. GSVette makes a good point about an AG/Farm exemption and is likely worth looking into as it would give you more truck and trailer options.

Back to your question, hauling your 14k backhoe while staying under 26k GCWR is challenging but possible. Generally speaking, you will need a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW regular cab pickup with a gas engine and a 9,900 or 10,000 pound GVWR. Such a truck should weigh about 6,000 pounds, maybe 6,500 leaving 3,500+ pounds for tongue weight. For a trailer you would need a gooseneck with two 8k axles and a 16k GVWR. You would have to stick to a 25 or maybe 30 foot trailer to keep the unloaded trailer weight at 5,000 pounds.

Using the above numbers, you would have a payload of 14,500 pounds which would be just enough for your backhoe, proper chains to secure it, etc. As you can see you are right at the edge of possible and you would have to load the trailer right to avoid overloading the trailer axles or your truck.

I am sure this is more than you want to spend but here an example of a truck I found that would meet your requirements. 2012 F-250 Regular Cab 4x4 16k Gooseneck Example

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #6  
Eddie,

I have a Ford LN7000 dump truck at a GVR of 28,500# normally requiring a CDL however with a WA. State AG exemption I can operate without a CDL within a 25 mile radius of my farm ( 25 is the WA limit- the Fed limit is 150 iirc). I use my truck to haul and dump gravels, topsoils, compost, etc. on the property and could use it to tow my Case 580 if I needed to.
This^

GA just changed the law from within 150 miles of your address to the state lines. Insurance can be a little painful to get figured out but not impossible.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #7  
I ran into this issue (kinda) when I bought my flatbed dump truck turned water truck. 2000 Kenworth T300 with 36K GVWR. I'd need a CDL to drive it, right? Not according to my County Sheriff's Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Team. Here is a copy/paste of an email from them:

Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 5:35:09 AM
To: Redacted
Subject: RE: CDL?

Good morning. You do not need a CDL for this as long as it is private use and not for commerce. Your water for your well is considered to be private conveyance and no need to get a CDL under state and federal law. Hope that helps, Redacted.

Since I use my truck for my own personal needs, I do not need a CDL. Getting a CDL is expensive and time consuming in this state. Why bother? If I was hauling water or other goods for someone else, and they were paying me, then I'd have a problem.

If you're hauling your equipment/hay for your own personal needs, i.e., not selling it or realizing a gain under a business like a farm, then you're probably ok. Check your local laws. And check for that ag exemption. You'll probably need to show a schedule F tax form when applying.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #8  
Avenger,

Interesting that we live in the same state ( and I think, in the same county) and got different answers (interesting but not surprising).

I reached at to The Washington State Patrol Commercial Enforcement division with the same question and was told that it didn’t matter if it was not for hire or for hire, if I was over 26000# on Washington roads and highways I needed a CDL unless I had the AG exemption.

Kind of wonder which answer is correct:

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #9  
I spoke with the writer of that email directly after he sent it (I know him personally) because it is very confusing. According to WADOL stupid little flow chart, I should need a CDL, but as that deputy pointed out thats only for commercial. Personal conveyance does not apply. I printed out his email and keep it in the truck, just in case. He did also point out that since I don't drive on the highways, WSP should leave me alone, and the deputies would likely never write a ticket (or even ask for my CDL), but since I'm legal anyway, doesnt matter. I've considered getting my CDL just to cover bases, but since you must complete 160 total hours of of training from an approved school (that is very expensive and only open during the day/late afternoon, meaning time off work, its not worth it. Those are dice I'm willing to roll.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds
Eddie,

I never heard of a CDL Agricultural Exemption before!!!! Thank you for bringing it up.

I did a search and found this https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/CVE-13.pdf

On page 5, it says this
"What is a Covered Farm Vehicle? (FMCSR 390.5)

(a) Means a straight truck or articulated vehicle:

(1) Registered in a State with a license plate or other designation issued by the State of registration that allows law enforcement officials to identify it as a farm vehicle; Note: The Texas Department of Public Safety has designated form CVE-30 as that identification. http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CVE-30.pdf

(2) Operated by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or an employee of family member of an owner or operator of a farm or ranch;

(3) Used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch; and

(4) Not used in for-hire motor carrier operations; however, for-hire motor carrier operations do not include the operation of a vehicle meeting the requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) through (3) of this definition by a tenant pursuant to a crop share farm lease agreement to transport the landlord’s portion of the crops under that agreement.

(b) Meeting the requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) through (4) of this definition:

(1) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less may utilize the exemptions in 390.39 anywhere in the United States; or

(2) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of more than 26,001 pounds may utilize the exemptions in 390.39 anywhere in the State of registration or across State lines within 150 air miles of the farm or ranch with respect to which the vehicle is being operated."

Then on page 6 there's this
"**CDL Exceptions

(a) Farm vehicle drivers are exempt from CDL requirements if:

(1) Used to transport their own agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from their farm;

(2) Used within 150 miles of the person’s farm."

Am I reading this correctly? If the truck and trailer are both registered as "Farm" vehicles, and I'm not using them for hire, but I am using them to transport farm equipment or feed, like round bales of hay, then the weight limit of 26,000 pounds doesn't apply?