Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #261  
I'll probably get flack but bumper pull pintle hitch trailer rated for 17k gvwr around 5k empty, SS with steel tracks bucket 10k+, grapple stump bucket strapped on front deck of trailer 1-1.5k, old tank used for culvert + other stuff in bed 1.5k aprox. Chains, rigging + 4 binders 300+. 2016 3/4 ton Duramax with
air helpers, exhaust brake, etc, several one way 500 mile trips at 65 mph. Made it each and every time safely no break downs, no tix, no accidents. Defensive driving and common sense when towing your vehicles limits are invaluable Imho.

Attachments

• 1624472081447.jpg
    1624472081447.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 1624471582743.jpg
    1624471582743.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 1624622383847.jpg
    1624622383847.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #262  
100%. Who wants to be in bed with the government more than you have to. Like I posted, cdl limits are just arbitrary numbers that congress cooked up in 1994. It creates more revenue through additional costs, like med cards. They run you through little clinics here for $75. State fuel tax, some make you start logging for extra fuel tax. People like me who have pulled equipment and trailers for 30 years but only pull for business occasionally are really screwed. I’m farm exempt but not for my plumbing biz. It’s a racket, same as nfa tax stamps. How ignorant are we to vote for this bs.
Unfortunately the rules were put in place for a reason. Yes, 26k is an arbitrary number but so would 20k, 30k... if they made those weights require a CDL. I have had mine since they changed from a Class 1 to a CDL. There are drivers out there that have a CDL and should not drive a bicycle let alone a 80k tractor trailer just like there are people out there that don't have a license and I would be very comfortable riding in the vehicle with them behind the wheel. No I do not agree with all the taxes and fees out there but I do understand some of them if the revenue went for what they were meant for. And you don't think someone should be medically qualified to drive? That just tells me you have a hard time passing the physical. Am I correct?

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #263  
As I read it, the limiting factor would be the trailer GVWR of under 20,000# and the truck GVWR of under 26,000# OR truck GVWR plus trailer GVWR of under 26,000#
So you could get a truck with a GVWR of 25,900 and a goosneck trailer with a GVWR of 19,900 and not need a CDL as long as you have farm plates.
If you want to maximize your carrying capacity, look at an aluminum trailer, Eby and Featherlight both make aluminum goosenecks.

Aaron Z
No that is not correct. the magic number is 26,000lbs single or combination. If combination the trailer has to be 10,001lbs or more. 10,000lbs or less then the trailer does not count to you license. Weights are based on typically 2 things, the vehicles GVWR or actual whichever is greatest. That is the federal requirement which most States go by. Some States add in registered weight in addition to those. I know Ford a few years back tried to put a GCWR (gross combination weight rating) on their trucks. This is not acceptable for determining license class required. I'm not sure if Ford still puts that on their trucks.
As far as farm plates go States have found that they were being abused and clarified who can and cannot use them. The Feds also changed the definition of a farm vehicle to Covered Farm Vehicle. Only a CFV is exempt from the CDL requirements.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #264  
Farming is a business. It does not matter if you are the sole owner. The question is are you in commerce? (Make money, lose money, claim it on taxes yes I know this is very generic but I think you get my point) And the last I checked about 1/2 the States if not more require either a special license or endorsement for vehicles (even recreational vehicle) over 26,000lbs used for personal use. In some States it is just passing a road test.
In 2016 when the feds passed MAP21 there was a changes to what farmers are and are not exempt from. You can read the definitions at www.FMCSA.DOT.Gov in 390.5 section. Again most States use the federal regulations as their own. Yes the Feds exempt farmers within 150 air miles of their farm from CDLs, States for the most part don't. My point is you have to check with your home State (even non-nanny states) to see if you are legal.
Yes, luckily ky pretty much follows fed guidelines and doesn’t make it more restrictive. I was only aware of Cali with their rv licensing and the 10k trailer rule. You’re saying there are more than 25 nanny states requiring rv licensing? What sucks for those people is out of state people can pull and drive stuff in their state they can’t without special licensing. Like hotshotters driving all over Cali and new York with trailers over 10k. You only have to adhere to your registering states laws. Another f’n stooopid law is banning cdl drivers from carrying firearms. Another reason to avoid cdl if you can. If I had a cdl I could carry in my own truck wile engaging in cdl activity. Another real stupid thing is going off of gvwr or gvcwr. It keeps me from getting a heavier trailer even though I would still be 26k or under.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #265  
Unfortunately the rules were put in place for a reason. Yes, 26k is an arbitrary number but so would 20k, 30k... if they made those weights require a CDL. I have had mine since they changed from a Class 1 to a CDL. There are drivers out there that have a CDL and should not drive a bicycle let alone a 80k tractor trailer just like there are people out there that don't have a license and I would be very comfortable riding in the vehicle with them behind the wheel. No I do not agree with all the taxes and fees out there but I do understand some of them if the revenue went for what they were meant for. And you don't think someone should be medically qualified to drive? That just tells me you have a hard time passing the physical. Am I correct?
Lol….physical for a med card? Those are jokes. I’m 51 but a sexual tyrannosaurus.
Me a couple months ago.
0CCFC8F7-1C2D-43D1-8772-1CE83D55EFB8.jpeg

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #266  
Yes, luckily ky pretty much follows fed guidelines and doesn’t make it more restrictive. I was only aware of Cali with their rv licensing and the 10k trailer rule. You’re saying there are more than 25 nanny states requiring rv licensing? What sucks for those people is out of state people can pull and drive stuff in their state they can’t without special licensing. Like hotshotters driving all over Cali and new York with trailers over 10k. You only have to adhere to your registering states laws. Another f’n stooopid law is banning cdl drivers from carrying firearms. Another reason to avoid cdl if you can. If I had a cdl I could carry in my own truck wile engaging in cdl activity. Another real stupid thing is going off of gvwr or gvcwr. It keeps me from getting a heavier trailer even though I would still be 26k or under.
Yeah, I found out the RV requirement when a friend of mine retired and bought a motor home to travel across country in and he had to get what is called a Personal Use Vehicle Endorsement do drive it. I wish I could remember the web site that lists all the States that have a similar requirement but it was about 1/2. I had to go with him to take his road test. Most officers don't realize this requirement but rest assure if you were ever to get in an accident and there is a lawsuit a good lawyer will know if you were required to have it. And the last I checked you can carry long guns (shotgun / rifle) in your CMV. Handguns not yet but I believe there is a pending lawsuit over this.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #267  
No that is not correct. the magic number is 26,000lbs single or combination. If combination the trailer has to be 10,001lbs or more. 10,000lbs or less then the trailer does not count to you license. Weights are based on typically 2 things, the vehicles GVWR or actual whichever is greatest. That is the federal requirement which most States go by. Some States add in registered weight in addition to those. I know Ford a few years back tried to put a GCWR (gross combination weight rating) on their trucks. This is not acceptable for determining license class required. I'm not sure if Ford still puts that on their trucks.
As far as farm plates go States have found that they were being abused and clarified who can and cannot use them. The Feds also changed the definition of a farm vehicle to Covered Farm Vehicle. Only a CFV is exempt from the CDL requirements.
MGP4506,
Your summary is correct for a CDL but you missed the context of aczlan's post, which is in relation to Texas's AG/Farm exemption.

In Texas, if you qualify for the AG/Farm Exemption, you can pull any trailer up to 20,000lb GVWR with a regular drivers license. Most common would be something like an F450 with a GVWR of 14,000lbs pulling a tandem dual 20,000lb GVWR gooseneck for a GCWR of 34,000 lbs. However, with the farm exemption you could have an International 4300 with a 26,000 GVWR pulling a 20,000lb GVWR gooseneck or pintle hitch trailer for a GCWR of 46,000lbs and also be legal with a regular drivers license.

But, if you hook the triple axle trailer Eddie posted with a 21,000lb GVWR to a SRW F350 with an 11,400lb GVWR you have a GCWR of 32,400lbs and are required to have a CDL because:
a. your GCWR is over 26,000lbs and the trailer GVWR is over 10,000lbs, meaning a CDL is required, plus
b. your trailer GVWR is over 20,000lbs so you do not qualify for the AG/Farm exemption.

Does that make a lot of sense? Not really, but that is the current law/regulations...

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #268  
MGP4506,
Your summary is correct for a CDL but you missed the context of aczlan's post, which is in relation to Texas's AG/Farm exemption.

In Texas, if you qualify for the AG/Farm Exemption, you can pull any trailer up to 20,000lb GVWR with a regular drivers license. Most common would be something like an F450 with a GVWR of 14,000lbs pulling a tandem dual 20,000lb GVWR gooseneck for a GCWR of 34,000 lbs. However, with the farm exemption you could have an International 4300 with a 26,000 GVWR pulling a 20,000lb GVWR gooseneck or pintle hitch trailer for a GCWR of 46,000lbs and also be legal with a regular drivers license.

But, if you hook the triple axle trailer Eddie posted with a 21,000lb GVWR to a SRW F350 with an 11,400lb GVWR you have a GCWR of 32,400lbs and are required to have a CDL because:
a. your GCWR is over 26,000lbs and the trailer GVWR is over 10,000lbs, meaning a CDL is required, plus
b. your trailer GVWR is over 20,000lbs so you do not qualify for the AG/Farm exemption.

Does that make a lot of sense? Not really, but that is the current law/regulations...
Ok that is Texas' Law which I don't know. Each State can have their own exceptions. I do know several States use the federal requirements for their own laws. They may not require a CDL but they do require some sort of endorsement to operate anything over 26k even for farming or personal use. Also, under federal law once you cross state lines for business (commerce) you must be in compliance with Federal law regardless of your State's exceptions. There are people out there that think farming is not considered a business but they are (you can't have it both ways). The feds recognize this and came up with Covered Farm Vehicle to help clarify this for when they do cross State lines to help do away with the confusion. I'm not sure if it worked or not seeing how they have legislation pending to "fix" some of the grey areas. We all know the feds never make mistakes LOL.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #269  
...snip...
But, there is no combination of truck and trailer you can legally haul 14k for a business. I have a thread going and had to go with an aluminum trailer to haul 11600lb legally. My truck has a gvwr of 11400, the lightest truck you can get that can legally haul that weight is an f250 with high tow capacity. It comes with a gvwr of 10800. You’re going to need a trailer with at least 18500 gvwr as long as the trailer weighs 4500lb or less, but that puts you way over. But it probably the closest combination I can think of.
Hersheyfarm,

It is challenging/you have to be willing to make some sacrifices in other areas, but it is possible to haul 14k legally for a business and stay under the CDL requirements. See post #4 and #21 for some examples of how to make this work even without going to an aluminum trailer.

The biggest sacrifice you have to make is getting a regular cab pickup with a gas engine - if you need a crew cab for other reasons or want a diesel engine I agree you probably cannot haul 14k legally for a business while staying under the CDL requirements.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #270  
For those that didn’t read the thread…

Since 2/7/2022, to get a CDL you have to take the EDLT course from a license training company. 4-6 weeks of class and driving. Mandatory to learn about all things. Cost about $4k.

The laws are very vague and it will really come down to what that law enforcement person wants to do. Since it is a common thing to violate these days they are cracking down. But the ticket is way less than the cost of the course and missing work.