Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #281  
Your best bet is to hire the hay baling out. It's going to cost you much less than getting money tied up in equipment. Remember, if there's a drought you won't be able to bale your own hay, buy what hay you can as early in the season as possible. I bought 70 rolls of hay last February and then was able to buy better hay in June and September. Still feeding the first hay I bought and should have enough for next winter. I'll buy more this summer. The people I buy hay from also will be baling my hay pasture this year. They bale commercially and get in and do the job and then off to the next one.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #282  
Lots of back and forth in this thread.

What I see as the underlying issue is, How could we push to get this changed? maybe to 30,001 and up requires a CDL??

That would allow most farmers and Ranchers to have the proper rated truck and trailer and haul those heavy tractors and implements safely.
No, it wouldn't. Tractors and implements are getting heavier and heavier. Also remember just a few years ago 3/4-ton trucks were rated for 8,800lbs then 9,200lbs then 9,800lbs and now 10,000lbs. And now instead of farmers buying 3/4-ton trucks they are going with 1-ton trucks that are rated for 11,000lbs and up. Where do you draw the line?

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #283  
Depending on the state you live in. I know for a fact that if you register a vehicle through your dmv with farm use tags, and actually fill out the paperwork for them to do so. CDL, Weight and air brake requirements go away as long as you stay in the mileage range and don't do hauling for hire and only Haul farm Equipment For Your Farm!
Again, you have to meet the State's definition of a farmer. And not all States exempt farmers from licensing requirements if the vehicle is over 26,000lbs. They just may not require a CDL

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #284  
Where are you getting this info. from?

You better check again, SRW Max Conventional(Bumper) trailer weight is 18K, Your receiver may show 21K (Same as my F350 SRW) but that's only because they use the same hitch as the F350Dullay and F450.
Link
I said 21, it’s actually 20k. Yours may be as well. F350 srw, 176 wb with 20” tires.
And on edit, the 2023 f350 is 23-25k bumper pull.

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #285  
Yes, luckily ky pretty much follows fed guidelines and doesn’t make it more restrictive. I was only aware of Cali with their rv licensing and the 10k trailer rule. You’re saying there are more than 25 nanny states requiring rv licensing? What sucks for those people is out of state people can pull and drive stuff in their state they can’t without special licensing. Like hotshotters driving all over Cali and new York with trailers over 10k. You only have to adhere to your registering states laws. Another f’n stooopid law is banning cdl drivers from carrying firearms. Another reason to avoid cdl if you can. If I had a cdl I could carry in my own truck wile engaging in cdl activity. Another real stupid thing is going off of gvwr or gvcwr. It keeps me from getting a heavier trailer even though I would still be 26k or under.

I havent drove commercially in a few years and havent kept up with all the latest rules. That being said when did they prohibit cdl drivers from carrying firearms of any type.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #286  
Things bet tricky here constitutionally. The Feds have zero authority to set regs for intrastate commerce, so as long as you stay in Texas, only Texas law matters.

That being said, the feds have long tried to manipulate the constitution by using highway funds or other some-such. At some point, we will have another opportunity for the court to review that concept and hopefully will go back to following constitutional law.

I'm not likely to be anywhere near the limit, so no CDL for me. One reason I don't coach in Texas is that most districts require coaches to drive busses and then get a CDL. Another problem with a CDL is that infractions in your personal car are treated more akin to a commercial infraction. Higher fines and potential loss of CDL. Insurance is also higher for CDL.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #287  
No, it wouldn't. Tractors and implements are getting heavier and heavier. Also remember just a few years ago 3/4-ton trucks were rated for 8,800lbs then 9,200lbs then 9,800lbs and now 10,000lbs. And now instead of farmers buying 3/4-ton trucks they are going with 1-ton trucks that are rated for 11,000lbs and up. Where do you draw the line?
Why do we need to have a line? And equipment is getting bigger and heavier cause you have to produce more and more now to cover uncle sugars needs. Lots of taxes need paid and lots and lots of mouths to feed.

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #288  
Yup....that's the problem. Things have gotten higher and higher ratings.

IMO, no combination of a "pickup" and equipment trailer should require a CDL-A....at least not by modern standards, testing requirements, and cost.....

There is so little difference between someone with a dually pulling a 14k trailer and someone pulling the same trailer with a 3/4 ton. Why should one require a CDL and not the others? Some arbitrary number set by a bureaucrat that has chauffers drive everywhere and hasn't been behind the wheel of anything in 20 years???

Maybe set a length limit....like trailer over 30', or a combination over a given total length....

But a modern dually is 14k and goosenecks easily 24k....so that's 38k.....so if they had to assign a max gcwr it would need to be pushing 40k+ to exempt pickup trucks and common trailers

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #289  
Yup....that's the problem. Things have gotten higher and higher ratings.

IMO, no combination of a "pickup" and equipment trailer should require a CDL-A....at least not by modern standards, testing requirements, and cost.....

There is so little difference between someone with a dually pulling a 14k trailer and someone pulling the same trailer with a 3/4 ton. Why should one require a CDL and not the others? Some arbitrary number set by a bureaucrat that has chauffers drive everywhere and hasn't been behind the wheel of anything in 20 years???

Maybe set a length limit....like trailer over 30', or a combination over a given total length....

But a modern dually is 14k and goosenecks easily 24k....so that's 38k.....so if they had to assign a max gcwr it would need to be pushing 40k+ to exempt pickup trucks and common trailers
I disagree just cause you can afford to own a dually 1 ton and a 30' gooseneck doesn't mean you should drive it. However imo they really need to clarify laws better, make certain exemptions easier to get and understand, and as you mentioned earlier truck and trailer makers need much better clarity on what your truck and trailer can haul.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #290  
Link
I said 21, it’s actually 20k. Yours may be as well. F350 srw, 176 wb with 20” tires.
And on edit, the 2023 f350 is 23-25k bumper pull.
I sure missed it somehow. I had been checking max weights a while and thought I was still seeing the same 18K for F350 SRW CC 4x4 Diesel. Our Toyhauler is the heaviest Bumper pull at 15K. I can't imagine 18K on the receiver, let alone 20K!

Ours is a 2019 so it's max is 18K conv. but the receiver hitch shows 21K. (20.4K gooseneck)