Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
The front ball joint on my tractor is bad. Noticed it yesterday. lots of play. I had a spare because in 2017 the castle nut came off and the assembly got bent.l but I was able to get it back on and fastened with another nut. I cut that nut off today and I am trying to get the assembly loose. The piston for the hydraulic arm and the assembly screw together with the black steel going into the the stainless piece. But I can't get them separated. Thee stainless piece seems to be about 27 mm and the black piece fits a 35 mm wrench. I am working both wrenches underneat with the smaller wrench wedging against the front arm of the tractor. It is standard thread and Iam pushing and hitting the wrench with a small sledge. been at it a while. No luck. should I try heat? is there a danger of damaging the seals of the hydraulic if I do that?

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320
I have the wrench on top of assembly just to show where it goes. I am working from underneath because I don’t want force going forward and bending the hydraulic
IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #3  
I'd get that rubber boot out of the way. Then wrap the exposed cylinder with a very wet thick rag. Then carefully heat it up, keeping that rag wet enough so that the cylinder rod stays cool. I would be surprised if you aren't fighting locktite in the threads. You need longer wrenches or a pipe over the one you are pushing down on. Just a thought.

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #4  
adjustables make me nervous with high loads, they stretch a bit when under high tension and tend to cause rounding, i would get a normal wrench a long 6 foot pipe and another friend, or butt it up against the axle

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #5  
Not uncommon for one side to be left handed threads and the other side right handed on the same tractor. Try going the other way.

Not uncommon for one side to be left handed threads and the other side right handed on the same tractor. Try going the other way.
I thought about that and checked the replacement part. the treads are standard......but I just called the dealer to ask. no mechanic in yet so gonna have one call me later today.

I'd get that rubber boot out of the way. Then wrap the exposed cylinder with a very wet thick rag. Then carefully heat it up, keeping that rag wet enough so that the cylinder rod stays cool. I would be surprised if you aren't fighting locktite in the threads. You need longer wrenches or a pipe over the one you are pushing down on. Just a thought.

adjustables make me nervous with high loads, they stretch a bit when under high tension and tend to cause rounding, i would get a normal wrench a long 6 foot pipe and another friend, or butt it up against the axle
going to take my caliper out there in just a bit and get measurements then go to harbor freight and see if I can find some wrenches that fit properly. Also gonna see what they have for large tie-rod tools

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #8  
Have you soaked the nuts and thread with penetrating oil ? I like Kroil penetrating fluid. When i get a hard to remove nut i turn to my crowfoot wrenches. That way you can get a breaker bar attached then use a long pipe for greater leverage.

I like Engineer 42 comments with using the water soaked rag on it if you use heat !

Hopefully the Kioti mechanic can help you or maybe call a hydraulic shop and ask how they get those fittings off the piston ?

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #9  
What I often find in that situation is the flats on the shaft are so short it requires a very thin wrench to fit behind the ball joint. When I find one that's really stubborn this is what I do.
First, jack it up and remove the tire so I have room to work. I take two pipe wrenches, put one on the opposite side ball joint, use the other one on the joint I'm trying to remove. Tun the shaft until the first wrench is up against the axle housing and held there. With the second pipe wrench and a healthy cheater pipe start horsing on the first joint. One side or the other will break loose. It's a 50 - 50 chance it will be the one I want. If it's not, I back off the joint until I can get the right size wrench over the flats on that side then screw the joint up against the wrench to minimize its chances of slipping off. Roll that around until it's up against the housing and try again.

/ Trying to remove Ball Joint assembly on Kioti 7320 #10  
HF does have pickle forks. Just check the size of your threaded rod to be sure to get the right one.