Trying to save a 1958 IH cub lo-boy and old massey

/ Trying to save a 1958 IH cub lo-boy and old massey #1  

tbrooks26

Silver Member
Tractor
john deere 4600
Me n my buddy made the trip to Florida to see what we can do with his dads old tractors. Gonna work on the IH first, because it was running not long ago. Going to grab a battery now, supposed to be a 6 volt positive ground system. The Massey has been sitting for a few years with the head removed, so were not sure what were gonna do with it yet. Can't get to it through the weeds to find out much right now.

/ Trying to save a 1958 IH cub lo-boy and old massey
Well we have spark and fuel and she is turning over smoothly, but not running yet. There some wiring issues, some rigging to say the least. Right now it sits with a 12v coil, which I'm not sure will work but we do have some spark. The negative on the coil goes to a post on the side of the distributor, and the positive to an old jumper cable clamp. My assumption is the clamp goes to batt- since this is a positive ground system. Gonna do some internet digging and grab some plugs, maybe a coil and see what happens

/ Trying to save a 1958 IH cub lo-boy and old massey #3  
Since it is turning over freely ... a carb rebuild and cleaning out the gas tank (and resealing it because I bet it's rust) and new fuel hose (fuel filter) is hopefully all you would have to do.

Right now we just wanna get it running to get on a trailer. If we could do a little bush hogging that would be nice, but priority is getting it back to nc

Well the cub is up and running. Pretty good I might add. Tranny sounds horrible, but is working in 1st and reverse. I think it at least needs new bearings and shift forks. Were calling it mater. My buddy is thinking about restoring it, but keeping the rusted look. Got the Massey pulled out of the weeds and ready to put on the trailer. IMG_20150814_241410566.jpg

Well we got them both home. Here's some pics of the cub, might be something special. It doesn't have the offset motor like most of them do.
IMG_20150823_194922029.jpg
IMG_20150823_195005227.jpg
IMG_20150823_195019147.jpg
IMG_20150823_195107258.jpg
IMG_20150823_195412196.jpg
We've heard that it was probably custom, but could be factory or not, and was probably made for vineyards? If any one has any info it would be appreciated. We can't find another one like it.

/ Trying to save a 1958 IH cub lo-boy and old massey #7