TSC CountyLine / Tarter BOOM POLE as CHAIN HARROW LIFT

/ TSC CountyLine / Tarter BOOM POLE as CHAIN HARROW LIFT #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
At age 69 years I do volunteer scut work in a small organic Blueberry patch, approximately 250 plants.

The 80 year old owner periodically runs a Tool Bar Cultivator and Chain Harrow (individually; not linked ) down the rows for organic weed control behind a Kubota BX.

It is too much for me to shake out debris from the Chain Harrow at the end of Blueberry rows.

The sole manufacturer of a Frame/Lift kit to convert a drag Chain Harrow to Three Point Lift is PRIEFERT. I am sure the PRIEFERT/ABI quality is good but the cost is $449 delivered, from any of several venders, for the 88 pound frame. Same price delivered to my Rural King stores for local pickup. (( Free local pickup may be available in Rural King stores closer to Texas.)) Frame does NOT include chains and other bits to suspend the Chain Harrow from the frame. Frame is just the Three Point Hitch components.

Priefert Lift for Chain Harrow Kits - Priefert Lift for Chain Harrow Kits - PICHLB | eBay

I wonder if a Three Point Hitch Boom Pole could be used for provide Chain Harrow lift, stock or with simple modifications? Tractor is a Kubota BX with Cat 1 size Three Point Hitch
(( We have applications for a Boom Pole beside potentially lifting the Chain Harrow. ))

/ TSC CountyLine / Tarter BOOM POLE as CHAIN HARROW LIFT
The Blueberry patch has used a TSC 'Loyal' (brand) Chain Harrow in size 4' X 4' for three years. Teamed with a Woodward Crossing's (brand) Tool Bar Cultivator for deeper rooted weeds, the two implements have served well for organic weed control in the rows. All we need is a mechanism to lift the Chain Harrow so we can shake out accumulated weeds and Blueberry trimmings with less human commitment.

I power a Korean Hoe for close-in weed control. We sow Buckwheat near the plants in the Spring to shade/crowd out weeds. This is pretty effective March-June, when the Buckwheat has cycled and dies. Then back to the Korean Hoe.

Based on the contributions to this thread, especially BCP's video in Post #2, TSC's CountyLine (brand) Three Point Hitch mounted, lightweight Boom Pole appears a practical solution: inexpensive and two functions, mat lift and 1,000 pound capacity crane. As the Chain Harrow mat is only 4' wide, with the boom in the middle mat overlap will be scant 2' on each side of the boom, so the boom-to-mat mounting chains will be close to vertical.

Fortuitously, TSC sent me a 10% OFF coupon last week.

I bought the TSC/CountyLine/Tarter Lightweight Boom Pole today.

Price tag on implement: $129.99 - $13.00 ((-10% COUPON)) = $116.99 + $8.19 Sales Tax = $125.18 NET PRICE.

Total width at Lower Link pins 26". Weight 66 pounds.

Boom Pole fit easily in my wife's small Subaru Forester with seats down.

TSC LINK: CountyLine Boom Pole - For Life Out Here

Photo #1 Tarter Farm & Ranch Equipment, in Kentucky, currently produces Tractor Supply Company's CountyLine (brand) implements.

Photo #2 LW Boom Pole connected to 4' X 4', 89 pound, Loyal (brand) Chain Harrow by 2 X 10' lengths suspension chain. In Photo #2 suspension chain is adjusted a little too short, rear of Chain Harrow is not quite flat on the ground.

(Lower Link stabilizers should have only a tad of slack so distant tip of Boom Pole is consistently positioned, not flopping around.)

Here is chain I purchased at Walmart to suspend the harrow mat, two boxes:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-2-0-Passing-Link-Chain-10/36442107

A passing link chain's wide link design allows the links to pass each other reducing tangling and kinking. Used as a general utility chain around the farm and other industrial applications. Warning: Not for overhead lifting / Do not to exceed the working load limit of 450 pounds.

Photo #3 Boom Pole in lift. Lift is not as high as desired. Tool bar still on ground, potentially interfering with tractor rear wheels when driving in reverse.

Photo #4 Chain shortened. FULL LIFT OF CHAIN HARROW FOR CLEANING DEBRIS, which drop to ground. Tractor/Harrow can be moved in reverse. Note in foreground: harrow collected detritus which dropped from raised mat.

Photo #5 Showing Chain Harrow attachment to BX center drawbar ball hitch. Also shows Top Link positioned in upper Top Link pin hole on Boom Pole. If Top Link pin in lower hole, only partial lift of Chain Harrow possible.

Photo #6 Slip hook suspended below Boom Pole upper ring using HD nylon cable ties, to prevent abrasion to Boom Pole. Chain is free to equalize from side to side. Chain Harrow can be separated from Boom Pole and tractor in ten seconds.

Photo #7 3/16" Quick Links used for suspension chain adjustments. 3/16" Quick Links max capacity 660 pounds each. Adjustment is half way up chain to minimize dirt accumulation in Quick Links.

This improvisation has been 100% satisfactory. Chain Harrow pulls easily in its most aggressive position. Chain Harrow self-cleans when raised by Boom Pole. Tractor/Harrow can be reversed down rows when desired.

And ~~~~KISS.

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Attachments

• DSC00526.JPG
    DSC00526.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 2,304
  • DSC00527.JPG
    DSC00527.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 987
  • DSC00529.JPG
    DSC00529.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 694
  • DSC00524.JPG
    DSC00524.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 849
  • DSC00528.JPG
    DSC00528.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 607
  • DSC00530.JPG
    DSC00530.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 721
  • DSC00516.jpg
    DSC00516.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 611
Last edited:
   / TSC CountyLine / Tarter BOOM POLE as CHAIN HARROW LIFT #6  
Thanks for sharing ;)

To suspend a Chain Harrow wider than 4', but not longer than 4', a rectangular steel plate about 6" X 3" could be welded on Boom Pole, near fall line to rear of mat. Steel plate would then be drilled for two 1-1/2" U-bolts, through which a 1-1/2" piece of galvanized pipe would pass, as wide as the outer edges of mat. Pipe would be threaded on both ends and have pipe caps.

Suspension chain would be wrapped once around pipe, near caps, then fall to mat and return to Quick Link adjusters as in Photo #7.

Last edited:
RE: Photo #7

It is important chain can slip as harrow is dragged in a circle. Outer edge of harrow will travel farther than inner edge. Inner edge has to feed more chain to outer edge or harrow mat will fold up. In Photo #7 a Slip Hook functions like the differential in a vehicle transmission. A steel ring with the chain passing through would feed chain the same way.

Sorry, I do not know.

I suggest you call Tarter in Kentucky, who makes all the CountyLine implements at this moment.

The CountyLine Lightweight Boom Pole has a Tarter decal on it.