Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #1  

jpilk99

Gold Member
Tractor
1983 Ford 1700, 4WD, 770 Loader, Woods backhoe, Woods brush hog,etc.
As many of us know, these Tuff Torq transmissions lose power over time. On my Husqvarna LGT 24K54, it lost virtually all power to climb the slightest of inclines after only 10-15 mins of use. I spent the $400+ and bought the rebuild kit from TT and ...rebuilt it, added new fluid and mmmmmmmmmmmmwah - she was like new again. (Never going to tow anything above 25lbs again!!!!). I now am having a somewhat similar issue with my JD LA175, though it only looses about half power after 20 minutes.

Big question is: Do I rebuild or just drain and refill with new TT fluid/oil? I removed that small cap in the rear of the tranny, higher up on the tranny, and when I stuck a 3" match stick down in there, it seemed quite low; barely hitting the 1/4" mark with about and inch and a half worth of the match stick stuck down in there. (Scientific, I know...). So I'm wondering whether to just take the tranny completely off the machine and just drain & refill --- or buy the rebuild kit and finish by refilling with new fluid/oil?

Any way to know if you just need fresh oil or a rebuild kit???

Thanks all.

Jay

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #2  
You should have purchase a unit with gears and a shift lever. No loosing power until it goes KABANG, then you can just look for a replacement.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?
You should have purchase a unit with gears and a shift lever. No loosing power until it goes KABANG, then you can just look for a replacement.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Buy a rebuilt kit? Don't think it comes with gears or shift lever - or at least my last rebuild kit didn't include these things.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #5  
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Buy a rebuilt kit? Don't think it comes with gears or shift lever - or at least my last rebuild kit didn't include these things.
I guess I should have made myself more clear. The whole idea of using an oil pump to drive two hydraulic motors is, in my mind, never a good idea.

If you don't want you machine to fail in five years, don't buy a unit that is driven by a oil pump. Get a machine that has a manual shift and has gears in the transmission, not a hydraulic pump.

If hydraulic pump operated machines were a good idea, then why does the real tractors use gears ?

I guess I should have made myself more clear. The whole idea of using an oil pump to drive two hydraulic motors is, in my mind, never a good idea.

If you don't want you machine to fail in five years, don't buy a unit that is driven by a oil pump. Get a machine that has a manual shift and has gears in the transmission, not a hydraulic pump.

If hydraulic pump operated machines were a good idea, then why does the real tractors use gears ?
Okay. I wasn't trying to debate the value of different types of machines with different types of transmissions. I'm asking, (with the understanding that I'm not selling the machine), how best to approach fixing THIS machine with the transmission in it.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #7  

That is not necessarily true. I bought a JD 175 Hydro new back in 1988. The manual stated to never change the hydrostatic oil... so I never did. I had that tractor for 24 years... mowing steep hills, pulling a heavy lawn cart, pulling a 900 lb lawn roller and pulling a 700 lb. landscape trailer around. It never missed a beat. It was still working like new when I sold it and bought a X500. The one weakness of the 175 was it was an open differential and I was constantly getting stuck on our hills. The X500 has a differential lock which completely solves the traction issue. Not all gear transmissions are sturdy and not all hydrostatic transmissions are weak.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #8  

Check out the CVT transmissions in the huge Case 225HP Magnum farm tractors. They use a hydraulic motor (aka hydrostatic) to power the transmission. Deere's IVT transmission is similar and available in their 400HP 8-series tractors.

Thank you, jgayman. I appreciate your perspective(s) on hydro and geared transmissions and how well your 175 performed since '88. But, (without sounding like a jerk), no one is answering my question, and obviously no one has a crystal ball, but: Given the stated operation, of losing maybe 50% of its power after about 20 minutes - should I just drain the transmission of its fluid and just replace with new ...or bite the whole bullet, spend the $4xx buck and buy a rebuild kit to rebuild it, which will include new fluid???

Obviously, I can drain and refill ---- and then put it all back together and test it. If it does the same thing, then I know I need to rebuild.

I'm just hoping someone whose gone through similar can weigh in on the question I've asked so I can make a more educated decision.

Thank you,

Jay

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #10  
Clean the area and remove the fill plug (the flat metal cap, more to the front left). Underneath the plug is a magnet. A coating of grime means at least some steel, and you know aluminum is floating around in there then too. I use that for an indicator to replace the transmission. If your game to rebuild, then do so. But if not, try an oil change to the 15W50 or 20W50. Or if it's low, add some.
To those touting a manual transmission in a lawn tractor, I don't know of one that exists anymore unless you buy a MTD CVT belt system with the FNR box.