Tufline BCP3616 cultipacker questions

/ Tufline BCP3616 cultipacker questions #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I have a Tufline BCP3616 12 3pt cultipacker. That I bought used. I have to replace one of the clamps that holds the cultipacker wheels together. It痴 one of the interior clamps that is broken. Here is the parts schematic. It looks like there are brackets on each end with stub shafts. Does anyone know if the wheels notch together or is there an interior shaft running the full length each side. Also it says it is 1-18 bearings, are these inside the end clamps or on each wheel? I just want to have an idea what I知 getting into before I start unbolting stuff.

BCP Series Culti-Packers | Tufline

/ Tufline BCP3616 cultipacker questions
I looked at the manual a little closer and see there is a pipe in there. It looks like the pipe slips over the stub shaft then the wheels go over the pipe. I guess the pipe has bearings inside for the stub shafts. I believe I can put two dollies under each side then unbolt one end shaft and I should be able to slide it out and put the collar on and then slide back together. Anybody see anything wrong with this plan?

/ Tufline BCP3616 cultipacker questions #3  
Hate to disappoint. However...

It looks to me like the U bolt #12 holds the clamp on the end of the pipe and clamps it to the bracket. The square stub on the bracket goes into the center of the pipe. The set screw #19 would keep the pipe from turning in the clamp.

That means the packer wheels turn on the pipe only. If you have a worn out clamp, it likely lost the set screw and the pipe was turning in the clamp. You can likely get more life from the pipe by turning it a quarter turn each season, but otherwise that seems a consumable part. It may be a common pipe, tube size, so easily replaced.

/ Tufline BCP3616 cultipacker questions
Thanks, for your help, I now see it’s swuare not round. I will have to pull it apart and have a look and see what the damage is.