Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Well... bet that title got your attention. I just thought I'd give my TBN community my decision process since there were so many of your posts gave information to me that assisted me in my decision. This is my pickup purchase path.

I have a gas F35O that is 20 years old, manual transmission which no longer does what I need.. I fear another breakdown, AC and heater don't work, it's been beat up as a ranch truck. It's time has come.

Everybody says that vehicle prices, new and used, are REALLY down at present. I can confirm that... read on.

I studied hard on a 08 Tundra (4x4, double cab, standard bed, 5.7L, 6 speed auto, cloth bucket seats, cold kit, power heated mirrors, tow package, carpets, skid plate, step assist, etc.) and fell in love with it because of its 401 ft lbs of torque and reported actual mileage of 19 or so on the road.

Six super reliable Toyota vehicles in the family over the years, 4 still in service (one my son rolled, the other my MIL took to 300,000 mi.), have won me brand loyalty. Towing capacity of 10,300 lbs bumper hitch and about 13,000 for a gooseneck was reported by many of you as realistic. There are even numerous reports of folks admittedly overloading the vehicle either in the bed or via trailer, and it behaving reasonably under those conditions. No current Tundra owner indicated they were unhappy with their vehicle, but rather the opposite.

Using the net, I found I became just as expert as a salesman at locating appropriately equipped vehicles. Sending emails to the internet salesmen actually worked superbly... my search ranged from Dallas thru Austin and down to Corpus Christi. These internet folks WILL deal over the net and phone... much more pleasant experience than taking time at the dealership, once you have kicked the tires and given a test drive.

I found a vehicle with the features I needed (above) and a minimum of add ons. MSRP was $32,500 - 5000 Toyota discount - 2000 business discount (need tax id, or business card and proof of being in business) - 2500 dealer discount = $23,000 + TTL. And, this was without further negotiations. So, REAL discounts are available at this moment in time.

So, that would get me into a sweet TUNDRA . Then I took a hard look at my actual NEEDS for a vehicle:

..tow a heavy gooseneck maybe 15 days a year
..5 round bale hay trailer ( 5 x 1500 = 7500 lbs + trailer)
..24 foot cattle trailer (max 12 cows x 1200 lbs = 14400 lbs + trailer)
..20 foot hydraulic dump trailer (20,000 capacity with dirt/rock)
..use bed of pickup to haul feed, equipment, supplies
..driver + one passenger at most for trailer hauls

I could load fewer cattle or less rock and the TUNDRA would handle it, but that means more trips and time and fuel.

My other transportation needs are fully met with other family vehicles: Camry station wagon (30+mpg), 4 Runner (18 mpg), Dodge grand caravan (14 mpg), so need for low mileage or carrying multiple people in comfort is met.

Many posts on TBN and elsewhere on the net about the reliability of diesels and current pricing led me to check out Craig's list. Good that I did. I found the following:

1997 Ford CC F350 XLT Dually 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel w/5speed std. trans, lots of power and COLD A/C. Shows 324xxx on the odo but does not show or run like it. I change the oil every 3500 miles and the previous owner did same. Pwr Windows and Door Locks, Pwr Lumbar, Tinted Windows, Recent New Windshield, New Tires, Cold Air Intake, Large Free-flowing Exhaust, Recent Front Pads, Rotors and Wheelbearings, New Shocks, Pioneer CD MP3 Player w/ Aux In for Ipod etc, Bed Liner, Gooseneck Hitch, New Aluminum Tool Box, New Aluminum Bed Rails and Tailgate Protector, Chrome Drop Bumper, Bug Deflector, Interior is in excellent condition, 90 Gallon Diesel Transfer Tank w/ Electric Pump. This truck is in excellent condition: $5000 cash.

AND, it was about 1 mile away! I drove it and had my mechanic look it over. This truck had been babied and in nearly perfect cosmetic shape. Absolutely no findable mechanical concerns. Huge numbers of you TBN folks claim that the Navistar 7.3 has extreme reliability... never having owned a diesel, I hope so, and you better be right... because:

I bought it:)

The final straw was the 90 gal diesel transfer tank.. which I actually need so I can easily obtain and transport off road diesel for my tractor. You knew that somehow this whole story had a tractor connection, didn't you:D

So, now, I can fuel my tractor, tow whenever I need to, few truck hauls will keep truck fuel costs down and at a buy in price I can live with.

Hope this ramble is useful to someone.... clearly, it is not intended to cause animated discussion of diesel vs gas, or 1/2 ton vs a real truck, but to explain my decision path... your path may differ:eek:

Anybody need a beat up 20 year old crew cab gasser;)

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #2  
Great choice!

I have a friend that works at one of the local auto/truck dealers.
He tells me that there is a new term floating about; "Black Book". The way I understand it is this is the figure that relates to the auction price.

He works at the place and they offered him $10K for his 04 F350 diesel.

Trucks are getting cheaper now that people who only wanted a status symbol and didn't really need a truck are flooding the market.

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #3  
I love my Tundra, but would take that deal in a heartbeat - sounds perfect for you

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #4  
I thought I made a good deal with my 97 F350 Standard Cab 4x4 5Spd Gasser at $2500. It's rough around the edges but otherwise solid. Your find looks awesome!

Yup the big truck market is pretty good these days.

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #5  
...... I found the following:

1997 Ford CC F350 XLT Dually 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel w/5speed std. trans, lots of power and COLD A/C. Shows 324xxx on the odo but does not show or run like it. I change the oil every 3500 miles and the previous owner did same. Pwr Windows and Door Locks, Pwr Lumbar, Tinted Windows, Recent New Windshield, New Tires, Cold Air Intake, Large Free-flowing Exhaust, Recent Front Pads, Rotors and Wheelbearings, New Shocks, Pioneer CD MP3 Player w/ Aux In for Ipod etc, Bed Liner, Gooseneck Hitch, New Aluminum Tool Box, New Aluminum Bed Rails and Tailgate Protector, Chrome Drop Bumper, Bug Deflector, Interior is in excellent condition, 90 Gallon Diesel Transfer Tank w/ Electric Pump. This truck is in excellent condition: $5000 cash.

AND, it was about 1 mile away! I drove it and had my mechanic look it over.
So, now, I can fuel my tractor, tow whenever I need to, few truck hauls will keep truck fuel costs down and at a buy in price I can live with.....

That price ALONE is a deal maker. But your reasoning is very sound. The goodies on your "new" truck are very, very nice.

Impressed.

Unfortunate that your post kind of implies a bad time out there for sellers of big trucks.
No way that would go for that price if the economy was better........

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice
Ummm.. well, yes... if you are trying to sell a big truck, then with new prices hugely discounted pushing used prices down..and Craig's list letting you discover what is available in your area at no cost... not a pretty picture... but seems like that's the way this economy is going...(political commentary self censured:eek:)

I forgot to mention that I flagged an item on Craig's list... scam...watch out.. newer truck at too low price, photo of vehicle with Texas license plates... follow-up question indicated truck NOT physically in Austin, but Hawii..but a story of how owner is in military, shipping out to Iraq immediately, forced to drop price, not to worry, vehicle will be delivered to Austin because of owner's contacts with military transport command...I replied politely that owner could sell vehicle at that price in Hawii without all the foolishness of transport back to Texas..scam smelled out.:eek:

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #7  
Not a bad find. Lots of miles though.

Check out the Ford truck forums to get the latest scoop on keeping that 7.3 running smoothly. If I recall correctly, some of the annoying little things like the cam position sensor (very easy fix) shuts them down, they are prone to coolant cavitation, so change the coolant out and use the Ford specific coolant additve, the power is greater than the U joints can handle so they frequently scream, and the fuel tank switch for dual tanks can get hung up between tanks.

They are very sensitive to poor quality fuel, so treating it and changing the fuel filter often is recommended. My father had a 95 PS dump that was really a great truck.

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #8  
Got a 96 PSD 4x4 long bed crew cab I'll probably keep forever...around 171k and it's been a great truck. Have had cam sensor glitches, never killed the truck but made it skip, easily fixed and now cam sensors are like $20 when they originally were $100:eek: Get one and keep it in your truck, takes 5 minutes to change and could save your bacon someday. Ahead of time- make sure you can get the 10mm head bolt loose that holds it in, they are usually very tight, odds are someone has already been there with your mileage though.
Coolant maintenance is critical, but you don't have to or need to use the Ford specific stuff, I use the FleetCharge pre-charged coolant in mine, buy it at TSC. I've never had U-joint problems and you probably won't either unless the truck is chipped up for lots more power. So far no fuel selector valve troubles. Make sure to drain your water seperator every few months even if you have no signs of water, some high mileage guys have found the very expensive aluminum fuel canister corroded out from water sitting in it too long.
171K and I've put an alternator, water pump, vacuum pump and fuel pump on it. Motor uses zero oil. I did have my trans rebuilt at 109k, was having no trouble but was gonna be in Arkansas so I had the famous trans builder Brian's Truck Shop do me one up- $3500 but I expect to NEVER have trans problems the way he builds them.:D

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice
skyco, crashz, WONDERFUL tips which I WILL follow... that's the kind of maintenance info I needed...gotta get me a cam sensor and 10mm ready to go when needed... and I had heard about the need for proper coolant somewhere else... great info, thanks:)

Other voices of experience greatfully accepted!

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #10  
Other voices of experience greatfully accepted!

My F250 just turned 110k. Oil, coolant, fuel filter and a belt is all it gets/got. Have not done the cam thingy yet. I had a schedule at the dealer to visit, since it wa under recall. Never made it there, yet.

Hope my luck runs and holds up. Nice truck.