turntable for lift

/ turntable for lift #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I recently bought a small 2 post car lift and want to make a "table" to work on mowers, my dirt bike, etc.

Here is what I was thinking:

I can take my lifting "pads" off and put a table top on the arms - something like 3'x2'. What I want to do is put a "lady Susan" type of turn table on that and then have a table on top - 2 foot wide by 6 long. The idea is I can load the dirt bike (200lbs) onto the table (wheel chock mounted on one end) then lift it to work on it and be able to rotate it. The bike is the heaviest item I am planning for this, so in the lift world extremely light.

I can find HD lazy susans: Heavy Loads 12" inch Barstool Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable Bar Stool 1 Lbs
it says it is rated for 1000 lbs but it is only 12" round and I was thinking a bit bigger but some of the bigger ones I found are EXTREMELY expensive. Would this work?

I have posts that drop right into the lift arms to lock the table down so that part is easy, I am just wondering about the turntable part. Any thoughts? Anyone ever see anything like this before?

/ turntable for lift #2  
I recently bought a small 2 post car lift and want to make a "table" to work on mowers, my dirt bike, etc.

Here is what I was thinking:

I can take my lifting "pads" off and put a table top on the arms - something like 3'x2'. What I want to do is put a "lady Susan" type of turn table on that and then have a table on top - 2 foot wide by 6 long. The idea is I can load the dirt bike (200lbs) onto the table (wheel chock mounted on one end) then lift it to work on it and be able to rotate it. The bike is the heaviest item I am planning for this, so in the lift world extremely light.

I can find HD lazy susans: Heavy Loads 12" inch Barstool Lazy Susan Bearing Turntable Bar Stool 1��� Lbs
it says it is rated for 1000 lbs but it is only 12" round and I was thinking a bit bigger but some of the bigger ones I found are EXTREMELY expensive. Would this work?

I have posts that drop right into the lift arms to lock the table down so that part is easy, I am just wondering about the turntable part. Any thoughts? Anyone ever see anything like this before?

Make your own lazy suzan using UHMW poly for the contact pads between two steel plates. Heck, You could use greased hardwood. It's not like the thing needs to be spinning all the time.

If you want to get into the "finger touch" movement, plumb in compressed air between the plates.

/ turntable for lift
Interesting - I was thinking a car wheel bearing perhaps but I would be interested in exactly how you go about making this plate. You are right, it is not turning all the time so I doubt it would ever wear out.

/ turntable for lift #4  
Build a square frame that bolts/mounts into the lift pad holes. On the frame install four hd cam followers raised off the frame an inch or so. Weld a bar across the square frame with a piece of tubing or pipe that sticks up to act as a center pivot. Now get your table top and drill a hole In the center. You could also press in a bearing if you wanted. Put the table over the pipe and you should be set.

/ turntable for lift #5  
Code

A turn table has two plates. A lower plate that carries the bearing/pads, and an upper plate that carries the work. In this case your motor bike.

Without a lower plate attached firmly to the lift arm, there would be little base of support for the pivot.

Automotive wheel bearing "might be fine", but you would expect some wobble with the lever arm of a motor bike table. That may not matter at all. (Have a look at Chevy 1/2 ton front spindle bearings, They are pretty sweet and not too spendy. I think I have a couple of them that I was saving for a trailer build. Removed from the vehicle because the wheel speed sensors went bad. Now I'm going to need to go looking around the sheds for them ;-)

/ turntable for lift #6  
I used a Automotive wheel bearing on the boom of my wood splitter over 20 years ago and it's about the only thing on it that I have not worked on since.

/ turntable for lift #7