Two serious accidents in four days

/ Two serious accidents in four days #1  

Blue Mule

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 40
Our community here in central KY had a couple of terrible accidents in the last few days. On Saturday a 21-year old guy who was newly wed and had just got back from his honeymoon decided to go out a run the bush hog. Some how, which is unknown exactly, he fell off the tractor and was run over and killed. Just absolutely terrible.

Then last night an older guy rolled his tractor and was pinned under it. Due to the rural nature of the location a medical helicopter was dispatched and they flew him to an area hospital breathing but unresponsive.

Accidents sometimes happen, but guys we have to stop being macho-men and stop thinking it'll never happen to us. These tractor incidents can almost always be avoided. Respect inclines, wear the seat belt, and keep the ROPS up.

/ Two serious accidents in four days #2  
Sorry to hear about such accidents. You're right we all need to be more careful.

/ Two serious accidents in four days #3  
Indeed very sad. :(

/ Two serious accidents in four days #4  
I don't know what happened in this particular situation. When I read about people being cut up by their rotary cutters for unknown reasons, my suspicion is they have have been momentarily stunned by some object thrown out of the cutter that causes them to fall off into the path of the cutter.

/ Two serious accidents in four days #5  
Our community here in central KY had a couple of terrible accidents in the last few days. On Saturday a 21-year old guy who was newly wed and had just got back from his honeymoon decided to go out a run the bush hog. Some how, which is unknown exactly, he fell off the tractor and was run over and killed. Just absolutely terrible.

Then last night an older guy rolled his tractor and was pinned under it. Due to the rural nature of the location a medical helicopter was dispatched and they flew him to an area hospital breathing but unresponsive.

Accidents sometimes happen, but guys we have to stop being macho-men and stop thinking it'll never happen to us. These tractor incidents can almost always be avoided. Respect inclines, wear the seat belt, and keep the ROPS up.
Indeed. We see many on these forums rag on others for scolding about safety features. Removing safety seat switches, removing or altering ROPS....

Those features are there not just for the lawyers folks. Yes they are annoying to deal with...but they just might save our lives.

/ Two serious accidents in four days #7  
I get laughed at for being a "safety Nazi".

Nearly got crushed once when I trusted a guy I should have known not to trust. He gets ticked off when I help him attach implements. I will not let me sit in the operator seat with the tractor running,

/ Two serious accidents in four days #8  
I've been chastised for being overly cautious by my family. I've never been in an accident and it does take me a little longer to do a job because of my safety precautions, but I feel justified in doing so, because my dad fell off a ladder and my brother rolled a tractor.

/ Two serious accidents in four days #9  
I feel pretty macho about myself, but then i think about what my family would be left with.
Agree....we owe it to our families to stay safe.

/ Two serious accidents in four days #10  
It onlytakes one mistake with a machine and it is over . Kevin .