Two things I will never understand in life...

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Tire warranties and credit scores.

Tires - Seems like they can go at any time and no matter what the written warranty, there is a cop out in fine print. You think the more you pay, the better they (tires) would be, but I've found first hand that is not the case.

Credit scores - Mine dropped by 2 points, but still on the very high side IMO, and I don't have a clue how I got that high to begin with, nor do I know why I dropped a couple of points as I really haven't changed anything.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
RE: your credit scores. My score is exceptionally high. Like you - I wonder why. One of the credit score monitoring web sites told be if I only had additional credit cards and more than my one credit account - my score would be higher.

I've alway paid cash for everything except day-to-day stuff. Even the house we built here in '82 was paid in cash. The Taco Wagon - cash. My tractor - cash.......etc, etc.

This credit score web site know EXACTLY what my spending habits are. Why would they think I need more than one credit card or need to put something on a payment plan.

I guess some folks would buy into this just to get their credit score a little higher.

RE: Tires. I've always purchased one brand of tire - TOYO - and have had very good performance with this brand. There is a dealership that serves the western USA - Les Schwab. Outstanding. And they sell TOYO tires.

Last edited:

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
RE: Tires. I've always purchased one brand of tire - TOYO - and have had very good performance with this brand. There is a dealership that serves the western USA - Les Schwab. Outstanding. And they sell TOYO tires.
I've used TOYO's as well. China made. No regrets, but it's now bugging me that they are Chinese made and not Japanese made.

My dad has had 3 different cars over the last 15 years, same make and model. He wanted Michelin tires because that's what he always had on the new car, and that's what HE likes. Thing is, brand new car bought in 2018 had new tires. These tires supposed to have 55k mileage warranty on them. I'm looking for tires for my father as his are worn out, call discount tire, and they inform me that tires that come new with a vehicle are different than when you need to buy them. They tell me it's a softer rubber on new tires so they wear out more quickly. Total BS I know. But, my father only had 34k on the tires with a 55k warranty and because it was bought from the dealer, out of luck because it was a new car when bought with the "ne tires".

Point being, discount tire didn't want to deal with the headache. Never will go there again,

That said, bought new tires for my dad at a local mechanic, and I will be a PITA to follow through with the warranty now as far as what is required per the manufacturer.

scaredychicken

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018),Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969)
I think the credit score drops slightly if your credit usage slows down ... like it Times-Out or something

beowulf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410 HST
Maybe intentionally, it is sort of impossible to figure out credit scoring completely. Our scores bounce around the 820-830 range. When I pull my annual credit reports it states that the score was negatively affected by 1) I did not have or was not using 'installment credit' - so I guess if I borrowed more and owed more my score would improve? and 2) the ratio of credit available to credit used had a negative effect - this despite the fact that we have very high limits on several cards and only use one card and the credit used is just a fraction of what is available to us - and that is paid off in full monthly. So, I suppose someone has figured this all out logically - but it makes no sense to me.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Maybe intentionally, it is sort of impossible to figure out credit scoring completely. Our scores bounce around the 820-830 range. When I pull my annual credit reports it states that the score was negatively affected by 1) I did not have or was not using 'installment credit' - so I guess if I borrowed more and owed more my score would improve? and 2) the ratio of credit available to credit used had a negative effect - this despite the fact that we have very high limits on several cards and only use one card and the credit used is just a fraction of what is available to us - and that is paid off in full monthly. So, I suppose someone has figured this all out logically - but it makes no sense to me.
About the same boat I'm in.

The only thing my wife and I owe are on our house and land. That however gets paid religiously, and generally we pay more than the minimum due to knock the principal down.

Thing is, I use to have a bad habit with guns and suppressors, my wife doesn't. Fell over dead when I beat her out by 3 points 🤣

rjpotts

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SEHC
You can add "roof shingles" to the "tires" warranty scam. My experience with shingle warranty is they blame the installer. When given the evidence of premature failure they simply say the shingle was manufactured to their specification therefore it must have been improperly installed (Certainteed in my experience).

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
On tires - Maybe the dealer is more important than the tire brand.

My dealer gives free tire fix or replace if you have a flat. They have fixed my tires (bought in 2018) 3 times. All tread leaks due to nails or screws.

Maybe they’d be more strict if the actual tire had to be replaced. But for flats, they are very good.

MoKelly

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Tire warranties and credit scores.

Tires - Seems like they can go at any time and no matter what the written warranty, there is a cop out in fine print. You think the more you pay, the better they (tires) would be, but I've found first hand that is not the case.

Credit scores - Mine dropped by 2 points, but still on the very high side IMO, and I don't have a clue how I got that high to begin with, nor do I know why I dropped a couple of points as I really haven't changed anything.
I don't get credit scores either. Mine varies by 10 points or more from one month to the next (going by what's printed on my Discover statement). Always in the 800s. Funny thing though...when we bought my wife's (3 year old used) car a few years ago the credit agency (which I'd never heard of) the dealer used showed me as being around 600!! :mad: He was vague as to why, but mumbled something about having no history of a vehicle loan (probably true...only other vehicle I bought on credit was in 1971). Apparently there are different credit scores for different types of loans. If it were me, I would have walked out of that dealership right then, but the wife had her mind made up she wanted that car so we went ahead.

I've never paid much attention to tire warranties...I figure they're pro-rated so even if you only get 60% of the rated life the best you might get is a couple dollars off a replacement.

BravoXray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
Yeah, there is some convoluted, super secret algorithm they use to calculate credit scores. I couldn't give a rat's furry behind what it is, as I only have a couple of CCs and pay cash for most things, and everything I have is paid for. At 71, I don't anticipate any large purchases that I can pay cash for.