Two things I will never understand in life...

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #11  
Tire warranties are just statistics, like actuarial tables. The "company" is playing the odds. Don't worry, they still profit on every sale!

Credit scores are more baffling than women.

Example

I recently purchased a new vehicle. I hadn't bought new in over 35 years. But I thought it was time for a treat.

Made a decision and the salesman wanted to work out the financing. I said I would ONLY finance where I bank. I like to be able to talk to people face to face.

Fine, they made the call and my bank turned the financing down. The salesman offered alternate financing. I said , "no, I'll pay cash". Cash from an account at the same bank that wouldn't do the financing.

I can't figure that at all....

They don't get to play with my money. I get the enjoyment of what my money bought. That I understand

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #12  
A college economics professor that I had told us in his class that the only thing that you should ever borrow money to buy are things that appreciate, or things that help make you money. But it is much wiser yet if you don't even borrow for those kind of things. For everything else (cars, motorcycles, vacations, etc.) if you can't afford to pay cash, you can't afford it. I followed his advice and have never ever worried about my credit score.
I do have two credit cards. I got the second one after I was on a trip while some unauthorized person tried using my credit card number online. The card company rightfully put a hold on my card. The only problem was I had no cash and I couldn't buy gas to continue home! So now I have 2 separate cards. The firm rule is that we pay of the balance every month.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #13  
Discount tire has always made good on tire warranties. Last one was last November when a tire seperated at 70mph on IH20. I got a good grip on the wheel and manuvered into right lane and took next exit. By the time I found a place to park the tire was flat run and in shreds. Got the pee-wee spare on and limped to the first place that sold tires and boufgt a new one. Took what was left of tire to discount a week later and told manager what happened. He gave me 100% of purchase price in cash. Not only will Discount Tire repair flats on tires they sold,they will fix flats,rotate and check air on any tire free. What more could you expect and who does it? In Sig's case that was the car mfgr's fault for not using same tires sold by tire dealers. You can't get warranty on shocks or anything else that come's from the factory on cars.

/ Two things I will never understand in life...
I've never paid much attention to tire warranties...I figure they're pro-rated so even if you only get 60% of the rated life the best you might get is a couple dollars off a replacement.
I just read how great these Michelin tires were, and how they have a 55,000 mile warranty (for the kind of money they cost, you should get 50k out of them). They were the exact same tire on the car when it was bougt new off the showroom, and they were worn out only after 34,000 miles, and they were not ridden hard.

Just found it sad that discount tire came up with the excuse that they use a different rubber in new vehicles so they wear out quicker, thus they couldn't warranty them. Seriously, Michelin has the same exact same model of tire with two seperate types of rubber, one for new cars and the ones they sell? Could of respected them more if they would of told me I had to go to the dealership where the car was bought new (my fathers car). long time ago, use to put 40k a year on my personal vehicle for work. Went to discount tire back then because they push all these great warranties they push as a company. For whatever reason, seems like whenever I needed a new tire prematurely IMO, they always had a excuse as to why it couldn't be warrantied. Been just as happy as having my local mechanic in town getting me tires now.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #15  
Now explain OEM asphalt shingle warranties and how to collect on those. The installers keep going out of business every 2-3 years and reopening under a new name so I'm not talking about their tail light warranties.

In Sig's case that was the car mfgr's fault for not using same tires sold by tire dealers. You can't get warranty on shocks or anything else that come's from the factory on cars.
It was the EXACT same model / series. Out of curiousity, I tooks pics. EXACT same time.

Michelin 235/40R19, Primacy MXM4 series.

I never had a tire blowout within the warranty, but if I did, I darn well be better getting all my money back as well on that tire.

Perhaps it's the local region with discount tire with their views on taking care of the customer, but I use to take my 4 vehicles up there (longer drive than my local mechanic), but it always seemed they had some excuse as to why the tire was out of warranty (sorry, $20 off one tire doesn't really do it for me).

As far as the "service" discount tire offers, my local mechanic does the same thing including free rotations. I just personally found it easier for my local mechanic to do it since the car would generally be in his shop for something else and easier than making a drive into "the big town" just for tires.

Mechanic also laughed at the tire warranties and said it was just a way for their customer base to keep buying their brand of tire and when it gets pro rated for the wear and tear, money back is hardly nothing. I'm not that much of a prick where if a tire has a 55k mile warranty if I get 45k out it, I'm going to be upset if I get $20 off, but only 34k on those tires not being road hard is laughable IMO. That said, dads car, and forwhatever reason, the same guy who reuses his teabags wanted those Michelins, so that's what he got.

Just a learning experience on my end because I'd never spend that kind of money on tires.

Last edited:
On tires - Maybe the dealer is more important than the tire brand.

My dealer gives free tire fix or replace if you have a flat. They have fixed my tires (bought in 2018) 3 times. All tread leaks due to nails or screws.

Maybe they’d be more strict if the actual tire had to be replaced. But for flats, they are very good.

MoKelly
My experience has been no different than yours at this point.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #18  
Tire warranties are just statistics, like actuarial tables. The "company" is playing the odds. Don't worry, they still profit on every sale!

Credit scores are more baffling than women.

Example

I recently purchased a new vehicle. I hadn't bought new in over 35 years. But I thought it was time for a treat.

Made a decision and the salesman wanted to work out the financing. I said I would ONLY finance where I bank. I like to be able to talk to people face to face.

Fine, they made the call and my bank turned the financing down. The salesman offered alternate financing. I said , "no, I'll pay cash". Cash from an account at the same bank that wouldn't do the financing.

I can't figure that at all....

They don't get to play with my money. I get the enjoyment of what my money bought. That I understand

I donnnnnnnt know about THAT

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #19  
Warranties only seem to be useful if a NEW product takes a dump. Once the product gets older, it becomes nearly impossible to get help.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #20  
Now explain OEM asphalt shingle warranties and how to collect on those. The installers keep going out of business every 2-3 years and reopening under a new name so I'm not talking about their tail light warranties.
I had to send Owens-Corning a shingle sample removed exactly per their instructions packaged a certain way. They replaced my 5 year old roof including underlayment and labor at no cost. 47 square.

I had 6 bad shingles on one spot on my garage. Obviously from a defective bundle, rest of roof was perfect. Asked for $75 for replacing them and they said no. Got pissed and went thru their warranty procedure and got a whole new roof. All because $75 was too much for them to shell out, stupid.