TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions)

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #21  
Congrats, it is a nice proven tractor with a 46Hp Yanmar.

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions)
Yeah, I was interested in the T494 but it was actually more expensive than the T454.

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #23  
Hey guys,
First time tractor buyer here. I have read about every thread I can find on here but I am sure I missed some so any you can point me to that might answer these questions I would appreciate it.

I am looking to buy my second tractor as my first :) I was originally looking at a sub compact Kubota and then went down the Korean tractor rabbit hole and realized I could spend a bit more and get way more tractor.

Questions I have:
I notice the TYM cab models do not have a rear defroster. Are there issues with fogging of the glass in the winter? Related question, it seems the vents only blow out of the front vents and the back ones are some sort of recirculation system. Does it provide enough heat to the rear window if out in the snow working?

The "Value tractor" I was looking at the T394 and it seems to have 12v power and usb ports which are a plus why are these considered value tractors as it seems like they have some features that are better than something like a T454.

Size, I know this is a tough one but I will ask anyways. Having a T394 or a T454 with a cab in the woods is that workable? I have 5 acres but want to purchase some adjacent lots so I assume I will end up in the 20-60 acres. Will be 30% grass/weeds and the rest is wooded. The woods have trails through them so it will mostly be used to maintain them but also clear trees and general housekeeping. Just concerned that I will end up breaking expensive glass often.

Resale value, I plan to keep this for 10-20 years(or longer) so I am not really worried about resale value but I do not see many/any used TYM's for sale. I assume this is a good thing as people are keeping/using them and not unloading a bad machine. I am guessing there will be a drop in price for a used TYM but is there any rough guide for this? As an example if a used name brand drops 30% in 5 years will the TYM drop 40% or is it 80%? I just made up the percentages here.

Last question, Am I missing anything on the cons of TYM? I like to go in eyes wide open when I buy something so here are the cons I have.
Cons:
Limited dealer network in New England. I have one dealer in Maine that is an hour away and if he closes it's pretty far for the next one.
Limited name recognition. I know I had never heard of TYM before this recent search but I see they are large and have been in the tractor business for awhile.
Long term parts availability concern. I don't think this is likely an issue but I guess there is a small risk that could happen.
Thanks,
Will

Hi Will -
I'm in Maine and just purchased at TYM T474 cab version from Scott's Rec in Turner. I'm not sure where you got yours but I liked that they have several locations and are expanding into NH this coming summer. They seem to be an up and coming dealer.

I, like you, did a lot of homework on the TYM brand. I compared them side by side to the orange and green tractors. I visited a bunch of dealers and did a lot of online research (months). I even went into the weeds on the axle sizes and all kinds of different specs. Based on all of that, I decided on the TYM. While they might not be very well known, their tractor matches up well. Add in the Kukje motor and I was sold. I think we might be ahead of our time because as more people start to realize the quality of the machine matches the orange and green machines, the price will surely start to rise.

I'll be working in the woods primarily that's why I decided on the smaller frame (T394/T474). It's good for those 6' paths through the woods. I will be getting a brush guard as soon as possible. And I just placed the order for the MK RG-7 root grapple. I'll also be installing 4 light bars on the cab (one on each side) because as you know, at this latitude it's dark more than it's light. Best to have more lighting around you.

Matt