Ubifi Rural Internet

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
STx, THANK YOU for posting the guide about the buyasession. I registered with the forum just to thank you for your guide. I'm posting this from my laptop listing to music on my amazon echo using my 12 months wroth of AT&T internet. So far so good!!! Better than my only other option of satellite internet for $100 (and data capped).

No internet was the only downside moving out to the country from the suburbs where I had 150mbps xfinity. But now we have home internet and are getting around 40mbps which is for the most part good enough for our needs.

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
STx, THANK YOU for posting the guide about the buyasession. I registered with the forum just to thank you for your guide. I'm posting this from my laptop listing to music on my amazon echo using my 12 months wroth of AT&T internet. So far so good!!! Better than my only other option of satellite internet for $100 (and data capped).

No internet was the only downside moving out to the country from the suburbs where I had 150mbps xfinity. But now we have home internet and are getting around 40mbps which is for the most part good enough for our needs.
I'm glad it helped. Unlimited, fast Internet was a requirement for us before we moved, we ran out business online. We used a local WISP for a while but, it got unreliable. The cellular based service has been great for us.

grants10

Tractor
John Deere
I'm glad it helped. Unlimited, fast Internet was a requirement for us before we moved, we ran out business online. We used a local WISP for a while but, it got unreliable. The cellular based service has been great for us.

I also just registered now to thank you as well! I pretty much had the same situation as jjoel. Thank you again for explaining how to get this setup!

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Just thought I would update this thread. We were getting speeds of 5 mb or so. Still not "high speed".

If I stand outside with my cell phone I can get higher speeds when not connected to the wifi. So I got Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Wideband Directional Antenna 7-27 MHz, 5 Ohm (314411)

And associated cables, connectors and such. There happens to be a pole right outside the window the MoFi router sits in. I got all the equipment last night. Hooking it up and just holding it out the window as a beta test.... I got higher speeds and much better ping times.

Went from 3.0 mb up to 10.0 and latency dropped from 180 ms to 60 ms.

I suspect when mounted to the pole and more properly oriented toward the tower we will see significant speed increase.

The MoFi can actually attach to TWO of these antenna. So I may be ordering another one to really increase speed.

I will post more once everything is hooked up.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Not that it's directly related, but on the topic of speeds for these types of devices: I recently replaced my Mobley with a Netgear Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) device. The newer/better technology bumped my speeds from typical range of 9-16Mb/s to 22-55Mb/s. Quite a nice jump. This is without an external antenna. Before the Nighthawk I also tried a Unite Explore but that device was very inconsistent and problematic for me. May have just been a bad unit (I purchased it used). Anyway, all of these speeds make for a much better connection for me that the only wired option in my rural location, which is a 5Mb/s (typically 2.0-4.0) DSL line.

Rob

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
$90/mo and $4-500 in equipment isn't looking all that attractive. I pay about $60/mo for 25M DSL after some discounts. Now if those discounts were to vanish and I was assured of more than 25 ... well ... maybe. 25 does everything I need for what I do with one or two devices and no streaming.

Some issues:

DSL is sometimes prone to outages, either nearby or distant due to cable cuts or storms knocking lines down.

DSL gives me a basic phone line that I've cut the frills off. I can call 911 and 800 numbers, but nothing else without tolls. I also get incoming calls. If I were to drop DSL and go to wireless, I'd either lose that, or still have to pay something to keep it which raises the total. I'd still have 911 ability as long as the line is connected even without calling ability.

Wireless is dependent on cell signal. That can be good if copper phone lines go down, but bad in extended power outages if the cell tower goes down. We've had situations where that happened.

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
$90/mo and $4-500 in equipment isn't looking all that attractive. I pay about $60/mo for 25M DSL after some discounts. Now if those discounts were to vanish and I was assured of more than 25 ... well ... maybe. 25 does everything I need for what I do with one or two devices and no streaming.

Some issues:

DSL is sometimes prone to outages, either nearby or distant due to cable cuts or storms knocking lines down.

DSL gives me a basic phone line that I've cut the frills off. I can call 911 and 800 numbers, but nothing else without tolls. I also get incoming calls. If I were to drop DSL and go to wireless, I'd either lose that, or still have to pay something to keep it which raises the total. I'd still have 911 ability as long as the line is connected even without calling ability.

Wireless is dependent on cell signal. That can be good if copper phone lines go down, but bad in extended power outages if the cell tower goes down. We've had situations where that happened.

Do you think if I could get 25mb Dsl I would be doing this? I mean seriously.......

We get ? mb dsl. In quotes because most of the time it was sub 1mb when it was working at all.

But you know thanks for pointing out something not available to me is better than what I have available. Useful comments

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL

Some issues:

It's $30/mo if you buy direct from AT&T instead of Ubifi, same service either way. The MOFI is $300 direct from them but, I'm starting to see a lot of knock-offs on Amazon for a lot less. I just bought one of these for $230, it physically looks the same but, I haven't tested it yet - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1Z41R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Here is an option for $91, I haven't tried it yet - https://smile.amazon.com/Huawei-Rou...er+huawei&qid=1575640939&s=electronics&sr=1-2.

I know there's a lot to read in this thread now but, if you go through it you'll find that I've given you step by step instructions to do this a lot cheaper than Ubifi is charging, although the expenses are front loaded, once you pay them you're done for the year.

I'm pretty sure you can call 911 from a cell phone and they'll know where the call is coming from now. I haven't had a land line for probably 15 years, we've used cell phones and VoIP since it became practical to do so.

As far as speeds are concerned, there's no guarantee but I haven't had mine below 25MB even in the evening when everyone is home and streaming YouTube videos.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 46

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
We got UbiFi about a year ago and have been very happy with the service. I wonder if the cheaper services would be just as good but we gots what we gots.

I have not checked the data rate but we have uses as much as 106 GB in one month with no issues. Our average usage has been almost 67 GB per month though I have not checked the last few months.

The MoFi is just sitting in one room with sorta the best path to the cell tower. We should get the external antennae but we have not done so since the service is working well enough.

We were living on a boat in a marina for a week a few months back. We were told the WiFi in the marina was not so good so we just took the MoFi to the boat, plugged it in, and we were good to go. It worked just fine even though we were in a different state.

Ubifi is much better than the $%^&*()_ "service" from CenturyLink.

Later,
Dan

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
It's $30/mo if you buy direct from AT&T instead of Ubifi, same service either way. The MOFI is $300 direct from them but, I'm starting to see a lot of knock-offs on Amazon for a lot less. I just bought one of these for $230, it physically looks the same but, I haven't tested it yet - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1Z41R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Here is an option for $91, I haven't tried it yet - https://smile.amazon.com/Huawei-Rou...er+huawei&qid=1575640939&s=electronics&sr=1-2.

I know there's a lot to read in this thread now but, if you go through it you'll find that I've given you step by step instructions to do this a lot cheaper than Ubifi is charging, although the expenses are front loaded, once you pay them you're done for the year.

I'm pretty sure you can call 911 from a cell phone and they'll know where the call is coming from now. I haven't had a land line for probably 15 years, we've used cell phones and VoIP since it became practical to do so.

As far as speeds are concerned, there's no guarantee but I haven't had mine below 25MB even in the evening when everyone is home and streaming YouTube videos.

What does AT&T call the service?

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
What does AT&T call the service?
You can't get it from a rep, it's only available at Login. The plans there will be different based on the IMEI of the device you're using, the Sierra card in the MOFI has a plan that is $360 for a year of unlimited data. We have that one and routinely use 300GB per month.

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
You can't get it from a rep, it's only available at [link]. The plans there will be different based on the IMEI of the device you're using, the Sierra card in the MOFI has a plan that is $360 for a year of unlimited data. We have that one and routinely use 300GB per month.

Diddo everything that STx just said. I just checked and we've been going through about 180GB a month. I suspect that will go up now that I've upgraded to 4K tv and have Disney+. No issues streaming 4K. Catching up on all the Marvel movies these days :)

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
Hey STx, have you checked recently to see if the unlimited data for 12 month plan is still available? I'm thinking AT&T has changed things up.

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yes, they got rid of it in Feb. You can buy SIM cards with unlimited data on eBay for $50/mo. I haven't gotten one, my plan is good for a few more months.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
We've DSL and can stream videos through Roku Tubi or Roku channel if the speed stays up around 1.3 MB/s.

Lately, with this new computer and now on Firefox, the computer access is really good. Had a Zoom meeting yesterday, and I was doing some stuff on the other monitor from the internet during the meeting. Got the occasional "unstable internet" message popping up.

Ralph

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
Yes, they got rid of it in Feb. You can buy SIM cards with unlimited data on eBay for $50/mo. I haven't gotten one, my plan is good for a few more months.

That's what I was afraid of. A quick look at ebay tells me that the $50 option is for customer renewal not for new customers. Looks like it means customers of the ebay seller (not customer of AT&T). I have until July 5 to get this figured out. I've been on paternity leave from work and since I've been out our office has shut down and everyone is forced to work from home, so I have to have a good internet connection.

I keep hoping that T-Mobile would come up with 4G LTE internet for everyone but the merger (just closed yesterday) has taken a lot longer than expected. I am a firm believer that the rural USA is (purposefully) oppressed from good internet. My only other option at the moment is to go with Hughesnet and I chose to go without home internet for over a year instead of going with satellite when we moved out to the country.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
I keep hoping that T-Mobile would come up with 4G LTE internet for everyone but the merger (just closed yesterday) has taken a lot longer than expected. I am a firm believer that the rural USA is (purposefully) oppressed from good internet. My only other option at the moment is to go with Hughesnet and I chose to go without home internet for over a year instead of going with satellite when we moved out to the country.

I don't think there is purposefulness to it; it's more a matter of return on investment. Providers consider how much money they can make against the investment they have to put forth to connect those under-served customers. In rural areas the density of residences and, therefore, hook-ups is much lower than in cities or metro areas. And distances are greater. So it costs them more to run cable or fiber to get fewer customers. It just doesn't make good business sense. It could cost them millions of dollars to run 5 miles of fiber and they might only end up with 50 customers. 50 customers paying $100/mo would take a LONG time to pay off that investment before any profit can be made.

Believe me, I wish that weren't true. I live in a rural area. I'd LOVE cable modem speeds here. But it is very slow to happen and it really only happens when government helps providers foot the infrastructure investment via subsidies. Which I'm also not a great fan of because it is a general fund expenditure going to a limited subset of the population. I think 5G or another wireless technology will be needed to actually bring reliable high speed Internet to rural areas. Physical lines are never going to be feasible from a cost perspective.

Rob

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
I don't think there is purposefulness to it; it's more a matter of return on investment. Providers consider how much money they can make against the investment they have to put forth to connect those under-served customers. In rural areas the density of residences and, therefore, hook-ups is much lower than in cities or metro areas. And distances are greater. So it costs them more to run cable or fiber to get fewer customers. It just doesn't make good business sense. It could cost them millions of dollars to run 5 miles of fiber and they might only end up with 50 customers. 50 customers paying $100/mo would take a LONG time to pay off that investment before any profit can be made.

Believe me, I wish that weren't true. I live in a rural area. I'd LOVE cable modem speeds here. But it is very slow to happen and it really only happens when government helps providers foot the infrastructure investment via subsidies....

Rob

Most of my county has CenturyLink DSL, or as one customer just called them, CenturyStink, and CenturyLink is not upgrading/fixing their network, which is why they have so many complaints in my county.

Having said that, a small mom and pop Internet service company is running fiber in some of the most rural areas of the county! I have heard nothing but good about that company. Unfortunately, we are not anywhere near where this company is laying fiber. :eek: They might be getting some of the tax money that is allocated for increasing access/speed to rural area. Whatever their business plan, it seems to be working. None of the big companies will provide enhanced service to my area even though it is fairly dense housing wise.

We have been using UbiFi for a year and have been happy with it. Much more reliable and faster speeds than CenturyLink.

Later,
Dan

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
That's what I was afraid of. A quick look at ebay tells me that the $50 option is for customer renewal not for new customers. Looks like it means customers of the ebay seller (not customer of AT&T). I have until July 5 to get this figured out. I've been on paternity leave from work and since I've been out our office has shut down and everyone is forced to work from home, so I have to have a good internet connection.

Ubifi works well, it's just more expensive. If there aren't any other options when my plan expires, I'll switch back to them. 4G Internet has been great for us, more reliable and faster than the WISP we had before for less money, even if we have to go back to Ubifi. I do wish the cell providers would continue to provide reasonably priced unlimited plans, it's the best option for rural areas. No wires needed and the towers are already there.

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
Is there anything that would stop me from just doing a $55/mo prepaid plan with AT&T and using that sim card with my MOFI modem? Shop

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
Is there anything that would stop me from just doing a $55/mo prepaid plan with AT&T and using that sim card with my MOFI modem? Shop

I doubt it would work as that is a phone plan. It would be great if it would.

You could try it and let us know

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Actually, it should work. I've used those types of data plans in devices other than phones before and it worked fine.

i7win7

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota bx2370, b2650, ford 4000

Check if AT&T Fixed Wireless is available 250gb for $60 here only used 100gb on tractor forums and youtube last month.

Welshman

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1520
How are you folks with Ubify doing? I noticed the price went up to $99. - did everyone get a rate increase, or just new subscribers?

I also noticed they don't list the carrier (at least I couldn't find it) - is it still AT&T?

My carrier, OTRMobile, switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and my signal degraded significantly.

cdb2

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HC
How are you folks with Ubify doing? I noticed the price went up to $99. - did everyone get a rate increase, or just new subscribers?

I also noticed they don't list the carrier (at least I couldn't find it) - is it still AT&T?

My carrier, OTRMobile, switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and my signal degraded significantly.

My latest Ubifi charge was $89 same as always. Also still on AT&T so far as I know.

I had OTRMobile as well for a few months over the winter, but got so frustrated with their customer service trying to find out about the T-Mobile change that I decided to cancel rather than deal with the "upgrade." I emailed to cancel (no way was I waiting over an hour on hold for "live chat") and got no response. So I finally had to threaten a charge-back, at which point they took care of it immediately. It's a shame, they seemed great at first but boy did the customer service take a nose-dive.

Welshman

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1520
My latest Ubifi charge was $89 same as always. Also still on AT&T so far as I know.

I had OTRMobile as well for a few months over the winter, but got so frustrated with their customer service trying to find out about the T-Mobile change that I decided to cancel rather than deal with the "upgrade." I emailed to cancel (no way was I waiting over an hour on hold for "live chat") and got no response. So I finally had to threaten a charge-back, at which point they took care of it immediately. It's a shame, they seemed great at first but boy did the customer service take a nose-dive.

Yes, their customer service was very bad for a while, although the last two "chats" I had I didn't have to wait.

I had also considered NetBuddy, and checked them out yesterday. Their website has greatly improved. They were always AT&T, but now they're soon going to offer a Verizon plan. That makes me wonder if the AT&T plan will soon be discontinued, like OTR did.

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Still att as far as I know. $89 for me. Have not had to use customer service so I cannot comment on that.

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
My annual unlimited plan expired and is no longer offered so I had to search for something new. I tried to just restart my Ubifi account but, they cancelled my order so I hit eBay and found a guy that's selling the monthly unlimited plan for $35 activation and $65/mo. I signed up and am running again with the same speeds. You can get it direct from him at - START SERVICE (SIM) KIT | wireless4u. I already had an unused SIM so I sent him my IMEI and ICCID and he had it active in under 15 minutes. The only downside is that he does not currently offer an auto-pay option but, he says it's in progress and he hopes to have it available within the next month.

Welshman

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1520
My annual unlimited plan expired and is no longer offered so I had to search for something new. I tried to just restart my Ubifi account but, they cancelled my order so I hit eBay and found a guy that's selling the monthly unlimited plan for $35 activation and $65/mo. I signed up and am running again with the same speeds. You can get it direct from him at - START SERVICE (SIM) KIT | wireless4u. I already had an unused SIM so I sent him my IMEI and ICCID and he had it active in under 15 minutes. The only downside is that he does not currently offer an auto-pay option but, he says it's in progress and he hopes to have it available within the next month.

I hope it lasts. As I mentioned earlier, NetBuddy is still offering AT&T unlimited, but I noticed they've added a disclaimer to the SIM card description indicating that it may soon not be unlimited.

How can I tell what my data usage is? Is there something in the MoFi pages that will tell me?

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
I hope it lasts. As I mentioned earlier, NetBuddy is still offering AT&T unlimited, but I noticed they've added a disclaimer to the SIM card description indicating that it may soon not be unlimited.

How can I tell what my data usage is? Is there something in the MoFi pages that will tell me?
Yes, click on "Bandwidth & Filters" on the left side menu. The default is Internet Usage. I used 800GB last month, at 565GB so far this month. It's no wonder they're getting rid of unlimited however, it's the only decent option for a lot of rural folks, RVers, Cruising Boaters, etc.

Welshman

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1520
Yes, click on "Bandwidth & Filters" on the left side menu. The default is Internet Usage. I used 800GB last month, at 565GB so far this month. It's no wonder they're getting rid of unlimited however, it's the only decent option for a lot of rural folks, RVers, Cruising Boaters, etc.

Thank you!

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332

That's a lot of data! You must do more 4k binge watching than I do. We stream music nearly all day and have a lot of tablet youtube/netflix going on and then the occassional Disney+ in 4k on our main TV. I just checked and we're average around 200gigs a month. I'm down to my last 20 days of the old ATT plan and have been looking at ebay for my next move. I may hit up the same guy and go that direction too. I'm currently working at home a lot more due to COVID so home internet is a very high priority for me now.

C'mon Starlink!

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
That's a lot of data! You must do more 4k binge watching than I do. We stream music nearly all day and have a lot of tablet youtube/netflix going on and then the occassional Disney+ in 4k on our main TV. I just checked and we're average around 200gigs a month. I'm down to my last 20 days of the old ATT plan and have been looking at ebay for my next move. I may hit up the same guy and go that direction too. I'm currently working at home a lot more due to COVID so home internet is a very high priority for me now.

C'mon Starlink!
All of our TV is streaming, including live TV. There's also a lot of Zoom going on lately.

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
All of our TV is streaming, including live TV. There's also a lot of Zoom going on lately.

I see. I live close enough to the big city to pick up all of the broadcast (ABC, PBS, etc...) channels. I just go without ESPN etc these days... especially since there's not really sports happening.

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G Bobcat V417 TORO+Loader
I see. I live close enough to the big city to pick up all of the broadcast (ABC, PBS, etc...) channels. I just go without ESPN etc these days... especially since there's not really sports happening.

Me too. The antenna is in the attic :thumbsup:.

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
We have been very happy with UbiFi. I wish the cost was a bit lower but it is much better than CenturyStink. Our price has not gone up.

Last week, the wifey took the MoFi to a nearby friends house so they could see if they could get a connection to the tower and check out the speed. They liked what they saw and are ordering UbiFi to get away from CenturyStink.

Can't comment about service because we have never needed any.

I was worried if the UbiFi was truly unlimited. We have not had any issues with data limits. In 2019 we averaged 66 GB a month. So far this year we are up to 102 GB per month but the increase is from the virus. During the lock down, our data usage has averaged 115 GB per month, which means we are using almost twice as much data compared to 2019. This from the kids doing remote learning but mostly my bandwidth needs for work.

Later,
Dan

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
We have been very happy with UbiFi. I wish the cost was a bit lower but it is much better than CenturyStink. Our price has not gone up.

Last week, the wifey took the MoFi to a nearby friends house so they could see if they could get a connection to the tower and check out the speed. They liked what they saw and are ordering UbiFi to get away from CenturyStink.

Can't comment about service because we have never needed any.

I was worried if the UbiFi was truly unlimited. We have not had any issues with data limits. In 2019 we averaged 66 GB a month. So far this year we are up to 102 GB per month but the increase is from the virus. During the lock down, our data usage has averaged 115 GB per month, which means we are using almost twice as much data compared to 2019. This from the kids doing remote learning but mostly my bandwidth needs for work.

Later,
Dan

Yeah I have not tracked our usage. However we got a roku and ditched satellite tv so I am sure we are in the range of 100 mb/mo. No issues.

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332

I'm up and running on this too. Thanks again for sharing. Rumor is that a new ISP is going to startup in the town about 5 minutes from me. We'll see if they end up providing service to me hopefully in the next two months. They'll have to beat a very consistent 35mbps download speed though. I'm actually am still hoping Elon is able to be very successful with his Starlink low-orbit satellite internet.

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
I'm up and running on this too. Thanks again for sharing. Rumor is that a new ISP is going to startup in the town about 5 minutes from me. We'll see if they end up providing service to me hopefully in the next two months. They'll have to beat a very consistent 35mbps download speed though. I'm actually am still hoping Elon is able to be very successful with his Starlink low-orbit satellite internet.

Well... the AT&T prepaid sim plan is getting killed as of Dec 31st. I just tried contacting TMOBILE and they said that they will contact me whenever their internet becomes available for me (I know some people have gotten it but maybe they've filled their quota in my area).

So... I'm kind of scrambling since I'm working from home and we're homeschooling our kids this year. I'm thinking about snagging a Verizon sim off of Ebay but just seeing if anyone else has a solution that I'm not thinking of.

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Well... the AT&T prepaid sim plan is getting killed as of Dec 31st. I just tried contacting TMOBILE and they said that they will contact me whenever their internet becomes available for me (I know some people have gotten it but maybe they've filled their quota in my area).

So... I'm kind of scrambling since I'm working from home and we're homeschooling our kids this year. I'm thinking about snagging a Verizon sim off of Ebay but just seeing if anyone else has a solution that I'm not thinking of.
I got an unlimited T-Mobile SIM, off eBay and it's working. I also have an unlimited AT&T SIM from speednetlte.net, they resell a corporate plan. The unlimited isn't listed on their website, I'd suggest calling and asking them about it. That's pretty much it for options right now.

jjoel

Tractor
John Deere 332
I got an unlimited T-Mobile SIM, off eBay and it's working. I also have an unlimited AT&T SIM from speednetlte.net, they resell a corporate plan. The unlimited isn't listed on their website, I'd suggest calling and asking them about it. That's pretty much it for options right now.

Could you link the seller of your Tmobile Sim? I'll look into both.

Welshman

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1520

I've been with OTRMobile for over a year and a half. It was originally with AT&T, and all was well. In the spring, they switched to T-Mobile, and the reception here was terrible. I installed an outside antenna to my MoFi 4500, and then reception was OK at best, but over time got progressively worse. A couple of months ago they switched back to AT&T, and reception is good again. There have been progressive price increases with each change, and they are now at $90.00 plus tax.

Welshman

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1520
I know this is an old thread, but I'm considering changing to Ubifi. Are those that have it still satisfied? Are there any current complaints?
Thanks.

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
I know this is an old thread, but I'm considering changing to Ubifi. Are those that have it still satisfied? Are there any current complaints?
Thanks.
I am still satisfied and using it. My complaint is going to be with any cellular option. There are times where the tower is getting hammered and my speeds drop. There are times where all the stars align and I get great speeds.

My only advice would be count on adding an external Yaggi antenna and plan installation of where you will want that. I wish I had done a better job of that and may still move the antenna for better reception.

prestond

Tractor
Ventrac 4500Z, Scag Tigercat
Thanks.
I used Ubifi until Starlink arrived at our house this March. I was very happy with the UbiFi service in my area. I mounted an external antenna in the attic for the best performance.

I only had to contact customer service once (for a band locking question) and they were quite helpful. I would recommend them provided you have some kind of cell service in the area.

Of course Starlink is a whole different story. If that becomes an option for you, I would go that route for sure.

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
I went straight to AT&T and got a 5G router with 2 outdoor antennas. I'm getting 75x15 for speed now, which I can't really complain about. I do wish my up was faster though, now that I'm making a bunch of YouTube videos and have someone doing the editing for me, the up can be a real problem. I'm uploading 100s of GB of raw footage for the editor and it takes FOREVER. Our co-op has fiber but not to me yet. I can't wait until they do, I'm signing up for 1GB service the second it's available.