Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
As many of us have internet issues I thought I would start a thread on how it works for me.

Currently we have DSL that provides ~2 mb of through put. Most places say we cannot stream HD video. This is not true, I watch football on the ipad when the Colts game is boring.

With my iphone sitting in my lap here I am getting about 5 mb of through put both up and down right now. That varies a bit from time to time when I run the test. So it will be interesting to see what kind of speed I get with the Ubifi system. I just ordered their basic router no outside antenna. I am about 1.2 miles from the nearest AT&T tower. The ubifi customer service says I should have no problem getting a good signal. They will not guarantee any kind of speeds.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #2  
So, I have a wireless antenna system and we get anything from 1-5 mps of download.

I went ahead and ordered the Ubifi/ They said I was 2.5 miles formt he tower and may need the external antenna. We will see.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #3  
This company sounds interesting. I am going to check them out myself. Please keep us posted as to how well it works for you.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #4  
I sent Ubifi an email just now - asking if service would be available at my location. I have HughesNet @ $60 per month - so I'm only looking for info and not change. Based upon the service I get on my cell phone(AT&T - NEVER more than two bars, inside or outside and often ZERO) I really doubt they could provide service here. We shall see.........

Last edited:
   / Ubifi Rural Internet #5  
Oosik, you do know that ATT offers a signal booster..
I have one in my house & can go anywhere on my 2 acre property & get a full signal. Without the booster, my signal is almost zero.
Heck, the neighbors bounce off of it too.. {I don't have it "secured""

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Oosik, you do know that ATT offers a signal booster..
I have one in my house & can go anywhere on my 2 acre property & get a full signal. Without the booster, my signal is almost zero.
Heck, the neighbors bounce off of it too.. {I don't have it "secured""

My folks have one. Theirs works by sending the call over their internet connection. Is that how yours works or does it send the signal back to the tower? Do you have a link to the device?

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #7  
Pump Guy - yes, I've looked at the signal booster. There are just too many negative aspects to the entire phone situation. #1 - I worked for the Government and any time my phone would ring it meant somebody was going to *****. I have a long memory. #2 - never have had a land line out here - moved here in '82 - phone company estimate to run line to house and install phone - $32,000. Started with Motorola Bag phone - then analog cell phone - now digital cell phone.

Actually I've become very accustom to no phone - don't take it with me when I leave the house - try to remember to turn it on 2X weekly to see if any messages worth returning a call. Do most of my communicating via email. Otherwise - the phone is alway OFF. Unless I'm making an call.

Then - if I can get two bars I can usually get out with a phone call. Signal booster would boost that signal to what?? - five bars. Problem is when I get NO SIGNAL - boosting zero always equals zero. The signal booster has got to have something to work with - no matter how slight.

Then there is the most difficult situation to overcome - ME. I'm Norwegian - hard headed - stubborn - old - set in my ways. Nuff said - - uff da.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
So I checked with Ubifi web site. They are shipping from Wheeler Illinois via priorit mail. USPS says that is delivery in 3 days max. So should have before the weekend. More to follow.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #9  
Then there is the most difficult situation to overcome - ME. I'm Norwegian - hard headed - stubborn - old - set in my ways. Nuff said - - uff da.

And that is one very big problem to overcome:D Being 100% dane I can fully relate.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #10  
And that is one very big problem to overcome:D Being 100% dane I can fully relate.

Reminds of a joke one of my co-workers told us. He was from Holland.

"Do you know why the Dutch wear wooden shoes?"

"To match their wooden heads"