Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #11  
I "had" a cell tower about 10 miles or more away from my house.. then some drunk decided to "take it out" one Saturday night..
Before that, my service was GREAT.. THEN, nothing.. couldnt make or receive a call.
I used the landline at work to find out WHY & possibly return my phone & cut my service.. No sense it paying for something you cant use, right?
I was told about the "incident" & was offered to BUY a booster at 100.00 for a reman or 200.00 for a new one..
I opted for a reman & it worked great.. went from ZERO bars to full signal..
BUT HEY> if you don't wanna phone.. ya don't wanna phone..
My computer runs off my landline & I just upgraded from 1.5 megs to 8.5 megs and actually SAVED MONEY.. try to figure that one out?? I cant. Lol
I was paying about 75.00 for a landline, after all the BS taxes & 25.00 for internet service..1.5 meg, so 100.00 + monthly.
I called them "for something"?? & was told about a new service they're offering because I'm such a good customer.. LOL!!!
I have 8.5 megs & a landline for 72.00 a month now, for life.. {yeah, right}
I'd love to ditch the landline for phone service & keep the internet, but CANT get anyone who speaks English good enough to explain it to.
Even the girl who "sold me" the new package was just a nitemare to listen to.. I kept interrupting her & asking, "JUST TELL ME, how much it is"!!! lol

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #12  
2 weeks ago, I got UbiFi with a directional antenna and got decent 6-8 mbps (for $80 a month) than the spotty 1.5 mbps I was getting from CenturyLink. I was pretty happy with them.

Funny thing is, a few days ago, I told a buddy of mine of my plan to cut CenturyLink DSL and explained that service went from reliable 1.5 to spotty and he says “Let me see what I can do”. Yes, he works for CL. Today, a tech shows up and says “gimme a day or two and I can get you 12-15 mbps, all for $35 a month on a contract-for-life promotion.” WTH?! I asked WHY it wasn’t done before and he explained that someone overlooked the ability to move the line on a different branch years ago. This dramatically shortens the service line. (equals stronger & faster speeds) I’m glad my friend researched the CL map when he spotted the possibility and subsequently confirmed.

Back to UbiFi, I’d definitely give them a try. A booster should help and I got one one to help my 3 bar (101-103 dB) signal but was having trouble setting it up right. When the CL service is confirmed working as promised, the UbiFi equipment will be going back, not because it didn’t deliver. I may keep the booster if the M-cell I’m getting tmw doesn’t work well. (Cell service via internet modem)

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
So I ordered on a Monday after hours so a Tuesday order in reality. Got shipping confirmation. USPS expects to deliver Thursday. They shipped my stuff from a warehouse in Illinois just outside of Chicago. Not sure if they have places around the country or use Amazon or something.

Just playing with my iphone around the house it looks like the best tower is to my west. When I am on the west side of the house (inside) I get better speed than when I am on the east side of the house.

We have AT&T land line (copper) service. The last time the tech was out he pretty much admitted AT&T wants all of us out in the hinterlands to abandon our copper service so they do not have to maintain it.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #14  
<snip>
We have AT&T land line (copper) service. The last time the tech was out he pretty much admitted AT&T wants all of us out in the hinterlands to abandon our copper service so they do not have to maintain it.
One of my houses is on a small court in deep suburbia Va., 11 miles from the Washington Monument. The pole is about 30' from the house. Our service had been geeting a lot of "noise". We HAD to switch to fiber for telephone because AT&T refuses to maintain their old copper. Now if the power goes out my telephone goes out. Their ONLY solution was a "black box" battery back up that REQUIRES 24 D cells that have to be replaced annually, used or not. Can't convince SWMBO to drop the landline.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
One of my houses is on a small court in deep suburbia Va., 11 miles from the Washington Monument. The pole is about 30' from the house. Our service had been geeting a lot of "noise". We HAD to switch to fiber for telephone because AT&T refuses to maintain their old copper. Now if the power goes out my telephone goes out. Their ONLY solution was a "black box" battery back up that REQUIRES 24 D cells that have to be replaced annually, used or not. Can't convince SWMBO to drop the landline.

Thanksfully I have convinced SWMBO to drop the land line.... .IF that comes with better internet service. That way the costs keep in line with each other. The land line + DSL cost is within $10/mo of the cost of Ubifi......

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #16  
I use an AT&T Mobley and average 10 to 15 mbs down and pay $22 a month unlimited. It is designed for RVer's but works just fine in the house. Same technology as others using wireless towers.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
I use an AT&T Mobley and average 10 to 15 mbs down and pay $22 a month unlimited. It is designed for RVer's but works just fine in the house. Same technology as others using wireless towers.

Yeah that deal ran out before I knew to get in on it.

Got confirmation from the post office the Ubifi equipment is to arrive today. So two days after I ordered it since I ordered after the close of business on Monday. That is good service right there.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #18  
So I got my Ubifi equipment yesterday afternoon.

So far--mixed results. With no outdoor antenna, I am getting "Fair" to "Good" signal.

When I ran a speed test after first connecting, I as at 7-8 down/ 4 up, but then the speed went to crap (1-3 down/0.5-1 up). This morning, I getting 23-24 down and 8-9 up with the same signal strength.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #19  
So I got my Ubifi equipment yesterday afternoon.

So far--mixed results. With no outdoor antenna, I am getting "Fair" to "Good" signal.

When I ran a speed test after first connecting, I as at 7-8 down/ 4 up, but then the speed went to crap (1-3 down/0.5-1 up). This morning, I getting 23-24 down and 8-9 up with the same signal strength.

Here's a tip that might improve your speed.

Login to the Mofi and go to the Band Scanner under Mofi Internal Modem. Run the scan and write down the bands that it shows signal on. Go to the Band Locker and lock on each band, reboot the Mofi and run a couple of speedtest, some will be faster than others. Write the results down for each one and after you've tested them all, lock onto the one with the highest speeds. I range anywhere from 2 down x 1 up to 50 down x 15 up, you can probably guess which one I'm locked on. One of my bands gives me 14 down x 14 up, I thought that was interesting.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Here's a tip that might improve your speed.

Login to the Mofi and go to the Band Scanner under Mofi Internal Modem. Run the scan and write down the bands that it shows signal on. Go to the Band Locker and lock on each band, reboot the Mofi and run a couple of speedtest, some will be faster than others. Write the results down for each one and after you've tested them all, lock onto the one with the highest speeds. I range anywhere from 2 down x 1 up to 50 down x 15 up, you can probably guess which one I'm locked on. One of my bands gives me 14 down x 14 up, I thought that was interesting.

ok so when I go to that band scanner it says it is running then a while later craps out and gives me an error. Did it just work for you?

I am currently getting worse speed than what I get with my phone...