Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #21  
ok so when I go to that band scanner it says it is running then a while later craps out and gives me an error. Did it just work for you?

I am currently getting worse speed than what I get with my phone...
Yeah, mine just worked. Maybe try rebooting it and Rin it again.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Yeah, mine just worked. Maybe try rebooting it and Rin it again.

Yeah no joy there..... I am only getting like 2mb on the Ubifi. On my phone I get much more. Guess I will have to call customer service tomorrow.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
ok so to get the band scanner to work you MUST be connected the MoFi via a network cable not via wifi.

In my area I ONLY have band12 no other bands on that tower. So speed will be highly variable. I am getting betwen 2 mb and 10. There is another tower close by that has several bands. I may be able to use a directional antenna to hit that tower or reposition the unit in the house to hit that antenna. I may just play with the unit outside to see if that helps. If so I will use a directional antenna to get a better signal.

Their tech support was really pretty good.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #24  
Good to hear, I will keep this one in mind for the future. We're doing ok with the provider we have right now. Hopefully they will keep upgrading the infrastructure as they add folks and there is more to browse on the interweb.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #25  
I sent Ubifi an email just now - asking if service would be available at my location. I have HughesNet @ $60 per month - so I'm only looking for info and not change. Based upon the service I get on my cell phone(AT&T - NEVER more than two bars, inside or outside and often ZERO) I really doubt they could provide service here. We shall see.........
Have you tried to wifi enable your cell phone? We have zero cell phone coverage so had hugesnet installed for phone service just last week. I Haven't tried it out yet.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #26  
We have no cell coverage so depend on land line and internet through Verizon [no other choice]. It is extremely unreliable. Goes on and off during some days and goes out for days at a time some periods. Once went out for two weeks. Was told it was a systemic problem that had to be fixed at the plant but I could see the cable laying on the ground and wrapped around a fence post. Wish there was a better alternative.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
So consistently only getting around 5 mbps. Will likely order an external antenna to see if that helps.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
I put the unit in a different window. Found an app that tells me the direction of the strongest cell signal. So I am consistently getting 10MB. I found if stand outside right at that window my cell phone gives me 15MB or better. Research indicates it is likely because that part of the house is sided with aluminum. It acts like a poor man's parabolic mirror. So I may well put an antenna right out there on a post and call it good.

If I am going from the 2MB DSL I have to 15MB on this thing I will keep it for sure. Heck even if I just get 10MB I am good with it.

All in all Ubifi's service has been great.

I may next check to see if I can put this sim card into a portable hot spot that I have. That would be nice for going on vacation and the like where you still want to have net access.

I will start to test the "unlimited" feature of this because there are a couple of shows I want to binge watch this winter when I am stuck inside.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #29  
I put the unit in a different window. Found an app that tells me the direction of the strongest cell signal. So I am consistently getting 10MB. I found if stand outside right at that window my cell phone gives me 15MB or better. Research indicates it is likely because that part of the house is sided with aluminum. It acts like a poor man's parabolic mirror. So I may well put an antenna right out there on a post and call it good.

If I am going from the 2MB DSL I have to 15MB on this thing I will keep it for sure. Heck even if I just get 10MB I am good with it.

All in all Ubifi's service has been great.

I may next check to see if I can put this sim card into a portable hot spot that I have. That would be nice for going on vacation and the like where you still want to have net access.

I will start to test the "unlimited" feature of this because there are a couple of shows I want to binge watch this winter when I am stuck inside.

Just take the Mofi with you, it's basically a hot spot with extra features.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Just take the Mofi with you, it's basically a hot spot with extra features.

Yeah but the hotspot has a battery and if flying can be used at airport or on train if you are using that etc.