Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #52  
The one problem i see with ubifi, it uses 4g lte technology. That technology is going away next year. Maybe they will switch to 5g?
Verizon has said they're turning off 3G next year, it's going to be some time before 4G goes anywhere, they haven't even set a standard for 5G yet.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #53  
The one problem i see with ubifi, it uses 4g lte technology. That technology is going away next year. Maybe they will switch to 5g?

No way in **** will 4G LTE be gone in 2020

/ Ubifi Rural Internet

It is not "going away". Heck there are towers that still support 3g. 5g will roll out and be supported along with 4g for some time. Of course if you can go 5g it will be a lot faster.

Of course in a few years 6g is coming so why invest in 5g? Wait did some one say 7g is "just around the corner"???

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #55  
Yeah, I thought about 5G coming out, but like others have said, it will still be supported for some time. Then, at some point, we should also have options to upgrade to 5G equipment and service I would suspect.

In any regard, this 4G LTE option for me is by far the best option I have ever had. Without doubt.

I ordered the Wilson directional antenna. Should get it Friday or Saturday. More updates next week.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #56  
The wife and I have been running Internet speed tests on our cell phones since last weekend. The results are interesting.

We have run 22 tests on various days and times. Our average is 10.28 down, 6.13 up, and 40.18 latency. My phone is older than the wife's the averages for down/up/latency are 8.11/5.97/40.0 vs 13.4/6.35/40.44. Most of these numbers are from inside the house but we have started to go outside where we have a direct line of sight to the tower. My best numbers from outside are 20.9/14.1/38 while the wife's best are 25.3/12.9/39.

Got all of this in a spread sheet which I need to modify again because the few outside tests results are so high they are inflating the averages. Just looking at the data and it looks like the outside tests are 3-4 times faster than the inside the house tests. That says we need to get a directional antennae. :thumbsup::D:D:D

Back to the averages of 10.28/6.13/40.18. Those numbers are sooooo much better than the 1.5/.75 DSL service we have. We have two 1.5 lines which we can cancel with one Ubifi network.

Our old Directv dish is on a pole to get a line of sight to the satellite. I should be able to use the same pole and existing coax to mount a directional antennae for the cell. Hope that works.

Later,
Dan

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #57  
Speed tests can be very misleading. The path you take this time can be completely different the next time, and the next, and the next. Devices have a lot to do with it. And wireless is a crap shoot at best, so many variables with it. I'm using the AT&T Mobley connected to an Asus Router and I can consistently run over 10 meg, and for $22 a month it's a keeper. I'm pretty sure all Ubifi is doing is reselling services from AT&T or some other provider and then jacking up the price. In my area AT&T is doing the Connect America Fund build out using wireless towers, where my company is doing Fiber to the Node.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #58  
It is AT&T but, it's truly unlimited, never gets throttled. The Mofi also supports carrier aggregation and has higher powered radio with external antenna capabilities so it can perform better than a phone or the Mobley.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #59  
Speed tests can be very misleading. The path you take this time can be completely different the next time, and the next, and the next. Devices have a lot to do with it. And wireless is a crap shoot at best, so many variables with it. I'm using the AT&T Mobley connected to an Asus Router and I can consistently run over 10 meg, and for $22 a month it's a keeper. I'm pretty sure all Ubifi is doing is reselling services from AT&T or some other provider and then jacking up the price. In my area AT&T is doing the Connect America Fund build out using wireless towers, where my company is doing Fiber to the Node.

Yes, the paths can be different but that is what we are doing multiple tests on different days and times. It all averages out. The average numbers we are seeing right now are 14 to 18 times BETTER than the crappy Century Link 1.5 DSL server we pay too much for. If Century Link would upgrade our network, for which they have taken tax dollars, and provide 10 mbps service for $22 a month, we would keep it, but we are paying around $130 a month for two 1.5 mbps lines and phone service.

Century Link has a monopoly in our area and we have no other service providers except cell service. We are not out in the middle of no where either.

ATT has a similar service to Ubifi which costs $50 a month but it is sorta capped. If on exceeds a limit, they charge you another $10 for a bunch of data. They will repeat that up to I think it was $200 in total charges. My guess is that Ubifi, and similar companies, are buying ATT access, charging a bit more and either paying for un capped data or they have figured out that the average of all of their customers will not violate some ATT limit.

Later,
Dan

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #60  
I've had UBIFI for a few months now (thanks theman!). I"m about 4 miles from the nearest tower; there are two towers that have decent links. One thing to look at is to limit the bands you use on the Mofi so it switches between those that have good levels. I'm using an external antenna fed with lmr400. Initially I tried to use a directional antenna, but couldn't get a good signal. Then I purchased a 9 dB omni antenna which worked well and is what I'm using at this time. As far as speeds go, it ranges from 2 - 47 MB, usually in the range of 10 - 30 MB. Only saw the 47MB once, though. I also kept my fixed wireless link through Rise Broadband, so I've actually got redundant links, which is nice.

Mark