Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #261  
Verizon 4G LTE Home Internet just became available in my area.

It's cheaper and 4X faster than my crappy DSL service.

I signed up while I wait for Starlink.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #262  
I took a look at other services when ubifi sent out the price increase notification. Turned out that T-Mobile has an unlimited plan that uses their rural 5G/4G network. It has decent range, didn't need an external antenna to get around 40-60 down, 10 or so up. Nice thing about the modem is that it has a battery built in so you can move it around to see what sort of signal strength is available. It costs $50 a month with auto pay.
My wife just got a flyer from T-Mobile on that very thing. We may look into it. We've had their cell service for years. They have GREAT customer service, but if you see a corn field, you lose service quickly. 🤣 We joke about that. They are getting better in more rural areas since we've had them. We travel to Oklahoma and Pennsylvania fairly often now, and we haven't been losing signal very often at all anymore.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #263  
I live in a hilly part of Virginia's Shenandoah Valley a full mile off the highway. I have wired phone and tried DSL for several years 15 or more years ago. Never got more than minimal service - a few mbps down. Problem was the connections. A long wire from the highway, underground, had five or six connections that had to be really tight to keep my speed up at all and the phone company would come out, after my screaming, about once a year to tighten things up. Finally switched around to cell connection and it was better, but not a lot better. Finally invested in outdoor antennas and a Mofi4500 and ramped up my speed to 12-15 mbps. Tried several companies but was eaten up by data limits or charges. Stumbled on an unlimited Verizon pre-paid plan in 2017 (they dropped it soon after but I was grandfathered) and stuck with it until last year. Last year Shentel began offering its fixed wireless Beam service and I signed on. $60 a month and 25 to 50 mbps. I doubt I'll get much better for a few years. But it's a heck of an improvement. The Beam folks have got antenna on a lot of high hills around here so most of the rural area can get the signal.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #264  
I took a look at other services when ubifi sent out the price increase notification. Turned out that T-Mobile has an unlimited plan that uses their rural 5G/4G network. It has decent range, didn't need an external antenna to get around 40-60 down, 10 or so up. Nice thing about the modem is that it has a battery built in so you can move it around to see what sort of signal strength is available. It costs $50 a month with auto pay.
I have the T-Mobile internet, it will support up to 15 devices, very easy to setup, fastest internet I've ever had.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #265  
Just wrote up the long tale of Internet Woe in the Starlink thread. We have been using UbiFi but the service all but stopped working last week.

We tried US Mobile, which said it would support our MoFi on their website which we confirmed with a phone call to a person. We bought the sim card which arrived the next day. We tried to enable the card and the website said the MoFi was not supported. A phone call confirmed the information. It was obvious that many UbiFi customers tried to sign up at US Mobile and they canceled support.

Our cell provider is Verizon and we were able to service with them. We had to change our old Unlimited plan to a new Unlimited plan, but supposedly, we will only pay for $10 a month for 150GB. We shall see. We were averaging 130GB with UbiFi.

Later,
Dan

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Sadly not available at all addresses. We are in good range of a TMobile tower but unable to get that service or I would have it. Would love those speeds.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #267  
Any updates on when or if Ubifi will improve. I can't find any news or get a response from them. My service still sucks and I can't find any alternatives that service my location.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #268  
Sadly not available at all addresses. We are in good range of a TMobile tower but unable to get that service or I would have it. Would love those speeds.
You might want to check out Calyx, if you have a T-Mobile tower nearby.

All the best,

Peter

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Any updates on when or if Ubifi will improve. I can't find any news or get a response from them. My service still sucks and I can't find any alternatives that service my location.
I switched to unlimitedlteadvanced.com. They use AT&T towers just like ubifi. I am happy with their service.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #270  
No hardwire internet or cable where I live. Had at&t "homebase" cellular internet for a couple of years. Price kept going up to $130/month, just for internet. (Cell phones are prepaid Verizon units, that we use 1xmonth).

Stopped in at Verizon to ask what they had, and they have a homebase unit (similar to at&t) but is 4x faster, and ½ the price. Works really well for us. I usually get 20-30mbps down and 6-7mbps up.

Trick is to restart it every couple of days, and lock in a channel that works best for you. Usually 1,6, or 11 on the 2.4ghz band. (several streaming apps won't work on the 5ghz band for some reason)