Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one?

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I thought I wrote about this before, but I'll try again.
linky
Extend your Wi-Fi network with the UniFi® ac LR Access Point, part of the Ubiquitii UniFi Enterprise WiFi System. The UniFi ac LR Access Point is an indoor, long-range 802.11ac dual-radio access point, capable of speeds up to 1317 Mbps with a range of up to 183 meters.
183 meters!!
and is capable of being mounted in indoor and semi-outdoor environments (IP54 rated).
If I could reach out 183m (600 feet) I could cover everything I need on the Mississippi homestead.

Right now they are as scarce as hens teeth, and all the reviews I've found are speed oriented and don't test range.

I'm hoping to read about some real-life testing by TBN'ers.

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #2  
   / Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one?
remember wifi is a 2 way street,
So may I assume you don't have one?
and is capable of being mounted in indoor and semi-outdoor environments (IP54 rated).
My prime immediate use is to reach a shed 300+ feet away.
I can easily park the unit under cover. I'd also like more access throughout the lot.

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #4  
So may I assume you don't have one?

My prime immediate use is to reach a shed 300+ feet away.
I can easily park the unit under cover. I'd also like more access throughout the lot.
i have been installing ubiquiti for 15 years at this point prolly close to 200 units, i told you which unit to purchase for outdoor use. Do with that information what you will.

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #5  
i have been installing ubiquiti for 15 years at this point prolly close to 200 units, i told you which unit to purchase for outdoor use. Do with that information what you will.

I too install a lot of ubiquity stuff, not 200 units but more than most people. Listen to LittleBill21, he speaks the truth.

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #6  
Why not use a NanoBeam PtP setup with whichever AP you want? That’s what I would do to be 100% sure of coverage.

Maybe an easier plan: Get Mesh as littlebill recommended and try it. If it sucks then get one LAP-120 and a NanoBeam for the P2P bridge.

I also have installed hundreds of APs, switches, routers and P2P devices in the past 10 years. On our TX farm we have 8 structures separated over about 10 acres. We have 1 internet connection coming in and I have P2P bridges going to all structures (If they are far enough apart). It works great. At my CO location I have expanded WiFi across my 45 acres by using a few P2P bridges and some mini solar setups. Also works great!

Last edited:
   / Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #7  
Why not use a NanoBeam PtP setup with whichever AP you want? That’s what I would do to be 100% sure of coverage.

Maybe an easier plan: Get Mesh as littlebill recommended and try it. If it sucks then get one LAP-120 and a NanoBeam for the P2P bridge.

I also have installed hundreds of APs, switches, routers and P2P devices in the past 10 years. On our TX farm we have 8 structures separated over about 10 acres. We have 1 internet connection coming in and I have P2P bridges going to all structures (If they are far enough apart). It works great. At my CO location I have expanded WiFi across my 45 acres by using a few P2P bridges and some mini solar setups. Also works great!
a PTP at 600 feet? i guess if its not LOS it might be needed. but i would think 2 of the mesh (one with wireless uplink) should be more then enough for him, if the one doesn't cut it, he didn't really specify his needs, but i doubt its much

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #8  
I use Unifi access points, probably the same model. Functionally they work well. But I don't like the admin interface. I have never been able to directly access and config any such access point at 192.168.1.xx. It refuses connection.

I am forced to go to localhost:8443 and use the Unify admin interface there. I'd rather bypass that to go direct to the device.

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #9  
Maybe I misunderstood. Are we extending the range to a second structure?

/ Ubiquiti UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point - anybody got one? #10  
I use Unifi access points, probably the same model. Functionally they work well. But I don't like the admin interface. I have never been able to directly access and config any such access point at 192.168.1.xx. It refuses connection.

I am forced to go to localhost:8443 and use the Unify admin interface there. I'd rather bypass that to go direct to the device.
I have always used the APs with a USG or UDM.